What's new

First 'custom' pipe and a warm shoutout to Polinski pipes

After my foray into restoring estate Peterson pipes, and a long time of fortnightly pipe smoking due to the fact I just started a PhD :bayrum2: ... I decided to get my first "new" pipe, and so my search began!

After a few weeks of bidding on various pipes on eBay and cringing at exorbitant prices online, I threw in my gloves and decided that if I'm going to buy a pipe, it should be a decent one. I'd lost a few auctions on autograph pipes by a Mr. Polinski and found his website. After a dozen or so emails back and forth, this is the result of our discussions:
IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_4931.JPG
IMG_4932.JPG
IMG_4934.JPG
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4943.JPG

After my foray into restoring estate Peterson pipes, and a long time of fortnightly pipe smoking due to the fact I just started a PhD :bayrum2: ... I decided to get my first "new" pipe, and so my search began!

After a few weeks of bidding on various pipes on eBay and cringing at exorbitant prices online, I threw in my gloves and decided that if I'm going to buy a pipe, it should be a decent one. I'd lost a few auctions on autograph pipes by a Mr. Polinski and found his website. After a dozen or so emails back and forth, this is the result of our discussions:
View attachment 936374 View attachment 936375 View attachment 936376 View attachment 936377 View attachment 936378 View attachment 936379 View attachment 936380 View attachment 936381 View attachment 936382 View attachment 936387

Nice , should have many years of enjoyment from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you can probably tell, it's an absolute monster of a pipe, but Polinski pipes are known to be massive. It measures 17 by 7 by 6.5 (centimetres).

Lately, Mr. Polinski has been doing more modern, daintier pipes and those are definitely attractive but I was looking for a knockout in terms of smoking characteristics so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one fares.
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4954.JPG
IMG_4957.JPG

Oh, and it sits! Pretty well, too. I wouldn't put in on the dash of my car, but it sits on a desk just fine, even as you're typing or generally knocking into the desk.

IMG_4958.JPG

All in all, I'd heartily recommend Polinski pipes to anyone looking to get a custom pipe made. He uses very nice Italian briar and his craftsmanship is exquisite! The case he gave to me for free as a Christmas gift and the prices are more than reasonable, for this pipe, with shipping, I paid around 65 pounds, very close to 80$.

Not many people talk about his pipes and I truly wonder why... :001_huh:

Only problem I'd ike to point out is the fact he only speaks Polish, so Google translate was our facilitator. That being said, he's very nice about the whole thing, he only asks for the money after you've seen photos of the pipe, etc.

Thumbs up for Mr. Polinski :thumbup:

Nice , should have many years of enjoyment from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reminds me of a watch ad I saw recently.

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I had a Polinski Rhodesian, which was a great smoker. I sold it because I wasn’t smoking it much, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. He makes really nice pipes at a very friendly price point. Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Polinski Rhodesian, which was a great smoker. I sold it because I wasn’t smoking it much, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. He makes really nice pipes at a very friendly price point. Nice score!

Do you remember roughly when it would have been made? I read somewhere that he switched from Albanian to Italian briar at one point and I'm curious to see how that impacts smoking characteristics.

Hirsute

Do you remember roughly when it would have been made? I read somewhere that he switched from Albanian to Italian briar at one point and I'm curious to see how that impacts smoking characteristics.

It was made in 2013. Not sure if that was Albanian or Italian.

I'll try to dig up the aforementioned Polinski Rhodesian (from @Hirsute's emporium) and post a pic later today... It's a great smoker! Glad to hear he's still making pipes.

BTW @TheoDEus that pipe is a gigantic work of art for sure. Does it take a filter? I think mine is supposed to accept a 9mm filter if so desired..

I'll try to dig up the aforementioned Polinski Rhodesian (from @Hirsute's emporium) and post a pic later today... It's a great smoker! Glad to hear he's still making pipes.

BTW @TheoDEus that pipe is a gigantic work of art for sure. Does it take a filter? I think mine is supposed to accept a 9mm filter if so desired..

Thank you for that, I'd love to see it!

IMG_4961.JPG

Mine takes a 9mm filter as well. I'm still not sure which I prefer... On one hand it does make my smokes drier but the same effect can be accomplished by running a pipe cleaner down the stem when it gets a bit wet. With some blends, like Bold Kentucky, I generally prefer to go with a filter unless I want a punch to the face.

I'm curious to try balsa filters and see what they smoke like, I've heard they're a compromise between no filter and a charcoal filter.

Hirsute

Thank you for that, I'd love to see it!

View attachment 936572

Mine takes a 9mm filter as well. I'm still not sure which I prefer... On one hand it does make my smokes drier but the same effect can be accomplished by running a pipe cleaner down the stem when it gets a bit wet. With some blends, like Bold Kentucky, I generally prefer to go with a filter unless I want a punch to the face.

I'm curious to try balsa filters and see what they smoke like, I've heard they're a compromise between no filter and a charcoal filter.

Send me a PM w your address and I’ll send you some balsa filters and also some meerschaum filters to try. I prefer the meerschaum ones, balsa second, and the charcoal third, but it’s all about trying different ones to see what works for you.

Send me a PM w your address and I’ll send you some balsa filters and also some meerschaum filters to try. I prefer the meerschaum ones, balsa second, and the charcoal third, but it’s all about trying different ones to see what works for you.

I appreciate the offer and the quality of people on B&B never ceases to surprise me, but unfortunately I'm across the pond so shipping, etc. wouldn't really be worth it.

That is one nice looking monster of a pipe; and the rim makes it easy to hold on to! I may have to look him up when I'm out of the PAD doghouse.

Top Bottom