What's new

First Cold Water Shave.

I just got off work and needed a shave, but my truck doesn't have AC and it was pushing 40 degrees today in the valley. Needless to say I was soaked and wanted nothing to do with hot water. Even my shower was barely tepid. I have heard a few of you guys talking about cold shaving on a regular basis. I have always been one of those other guys that thought you were just a little off your rocker. But today was just the day to try it out.

I used my Merkur 34c HD loaded with a Rapira PL(x5), Pre de Provence, and finished it off with Forever Living - Gentleman's Pride ASB

Was I ever surprised! I have always thought that the hot water somehow added to the quality of shave, but this 3+ pass shave ended with my face BBS. I don't know if I'll do it full time, but on days like today, a cold water shave is exactly what the doctor ordered.

For the very best shaving results possible, using cold water exclusively is the only way to go - year round - regardless of your climate / regardless of the temperature!!!

* - Except for cleaning your razor / blade - for that, use water that is as hot as is available from your faucet.

For the very best shaving results possible,using cold water exclusively is the only way to go - year round - regardless ofyour climate / regardless of the temperature!!!

* - Except for cleaningyour razor / blade - for that, use water that is as hot as is available fromyour faucet.

Do you use cold water on your brushes?

Do you use cold water on your brushes?

Yes! Absolutely!!! Cold water on on the brushes, and cold water to lather the soap. . . and cool the razor back down with cold water, after rinsing (soap / wisker stubble) out of / off of razor with hot water between shaving strokes.

Yes! Absolutely!!! Cold water on on the brushes, and cold water to lather the soap. . . and cool the razor back down with cold water, after rinsing (soap / wisker stubble) out of / off of razor with hot water between shaving strokes.

By the way, using cold water to lather your soaps will also help to make your soaps last much longer.

That is a true cold water shave.:thumbup1:

That is a true cold water shave.:thumbup1:

This cold water shaving system feels just great year round, is very invigorating, and also results in a substantially reduced chance of: irritation, razor burn, weepers, and god forbid you nick or cut yourself while shaving, you will bleed substantially less than if you used warm / hot water.

Last edited:

That is what I did, with the exception of the hot water rinse. It was all cold for me.

To you dedicated cold water shavers what is your prep like? I generally find that unless I do a hot towel before my shave a get tugging/pulling and a generally less comfortable shave.

I just got off work and needed a shave, but my truck doesn't have AC and it was pushing 40 degrees today in the valley. Needless to say I was soaked and wanted nothing to do with hot water. Even my shower was barely tepid. I have heard a few of you guys talking about cold shaving on a regular basis. I have always been one of those other guys that thought you were just a little off your rocker. But today was just the day to try it out.

I used my Merkur 34c HD loaded with a Rapira PL(x5), Pre de Provence, and finished it off with Forever Living - Gentleman's Pride ASB

Was I ever surprised! I have always thought that the hot water somehow added to the quality of shave, but this 3+ pass shave ended with my face BBS. I don't know if I'll do it full time, but on days like today, a cold water shave is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Nick, congratulations on discovering cold water shaving. If you search for an old thread "cold water shavers unite", you can join our brotherhood and pick up some good cold water method tips as well.

To you dedicated cold water shavers what is your prep like? I generally find that unless I do a hot towel before my shave a get tugging/pulling and a generally less comfortable shave.
Try shaving, post shower. I never use a hot towel. With the exception being whenever I've gotten a sub par barber shave that is.(but that's a while other thread)

Nick, congratulations on discovering cold water shaving. If you search for an old thread "cold water shavers unite", you can join our brotherhood and pick up some good cold water method tips as well.
I may just check it out, thanks. Although like I said, it's never gonna be a full time thing for me, but I do liked to learn new things.

My prep / shave steps: Turn off the alarm, roll out of bed, walk into the bathroom, splash cold water on my face (don't dry off face), rinse shaving brush with cold water & shake out excess water (set brush aside), add very, very thin layer of cold water on top of shave soap puck (which is always left sitting inside the shave mug), pickup moist (not wet) shave brush and whip up lather (in mug) in 30 to 45 seconds (the brush will have enough lather for 3 shaving passes), apply the cold soap lather directly from the soap mug to the face, shave in 3 passes (WTG/ATG/Various directions as needed for the 3rd pass – remoisten face / neck with cold water before reapplying shave soap lather before each shaving pass) - resulting in a baby butt smooth BBS shave, rinse out the brush in very warm water, and dry / put away the brush, rinse razor and blade in hot water, and dry / put away the razor and blade, rinse off face and neck in cold water from the faucet, and dry off face and neck, clean off / dry sink area, go about the rest of the day.

Last edited:
My prep / shave steps: Turn off the alarm, roll out of bed, walk into the bathroom, splash cold water on my face (don't dry off face), rinse shaving brush with cold water & shake out excess water (set brush aside), add very, very thin layer of cold water on top of shave soap puck (which is always left sitting inside the shave mug), pickup moist (not wet) shave brush and whip up lather (in mug) in 30 to 45 seconds (the brush will have enough lather for 3 shaving passes), apply the cold soap lather directly from the soap mug to the face, shave in 3 passes (WTG/ATG/Various directions as needed for the 3rd pass – remoisten face / neck with cold water before reapplying shave soap lather before each shaving pass) - resulting in a baby butt smooth BBS shave, rinse out the brush in very warm water, and dry / put away the brush, rinse razor and blade in hot water, and dry / put away the razor and blade, rinse off face and neck in cold water from the faucet, and dry off face and neck, clean off / dry sink area, go about the rest of the day.

By the way, I always shave before taking a shower. My showers are tepid / lukewarm.

Since I've switched to (or, really, "transitioned into") cold water shaving, my shave has looked something like this...

1. I wet my face thoroughly with cool-to-cold water. Get it soaking, dripping wet.
2. With wet hands, on wet face, I rub in a layer of Noxzema as a pre-shave.
3. While the Noxzema is on, I bowl lather my cream. Apply right over the Noxzema and shave.
4. Cold water rinse and more Noxzema between passes. Unless it's a one-pass shave.
5. Cold water rinse at the end. Splash on Witch Hazel from the refrigerator. Wait a bit, then aftershave as needed/desired.

Nothing too exciting, but that's how I've been doing it lately.

Last edited:
I just did a quick, 2 pass (+clean up) shave with cold water. Minimal prep, cold water on face, proraso green pre/post, whipped up a lush proraso green soap lather in a bowl, lather up and shave!

The shave itself felt really invigorating! Especially with the menthol in the proraso. I finished with proraso pre/post cream and it felt amazingly cool and fresh but my face is pretty red and irritated. Probably my own fault, not careful enough with angles etc.

Will try a cold shave again but obviously still got heaps to work on general technique wise.

I have very thick, and fast growing / medium coarse facial hair. I shave very quickly, and get excellent results. I very rarily have any irritation of any kind, and I very rarily cut / nick myself. I almost almost always achieve a BBS shave using razors ranging from very mild (e.g.: Weishi 9306CL & Feather Popular razors), to very aggressive / efficient (e.g.: FaTip razors). I use very sharp blades, with Feather blades being my most commonly used and favorite blades. . . . I have had a lot of practice, with nearly 40 years of shaving, mostly with safety razors / DE blades.

Ok, so a good couple of hours after the shave and my face has settled down considerably. No obvious redness, might have been helped by the bulldog sensitive moisturiser that I used after the proraso but can't say for sure.

Top Bottom