What's new

First Cold Water Shave.

Now that summer is here, a cold water shave might be a nice addition to my bedtime routine on the warmer nights - I'm glad I found this thread!

I usually use only cold or cool water. Many days, I never even touch the hot water tap for the entire routine.

Step one is to dip the tip of my shave stick in the water, as cold water takes longer to soften the soap than does hot water.

I prep my face with a long cold-soaked washcloth treatment. It takes longer to prepare my face with cold water, but I end up with less sensitive skin this way. I then apply PSO, which is harder to wash off from my hands the colder the water is.

Brush soak, cream lathering in the bowl (I super-stick), razor rinsing, face splashing... It's all cold water.

The only time I sometimes use warm water is cleanup. Cleaning the sink, razor, and blade is a little easier and more productive with warm water. Sometimes, I do even that with cold water, though.

I prefer to make my shave routine something I can do in the absence of available hot water. I would love to lose my dependency on a mirror, such that I could shave out of a bucket if needed, but that's a long way off.

Welcome to the world of cold water shaving.

Before joining B&B I had never heard of cold water shaving. For me in the past a hot towel, warm water, etc. was the only way to shave. Boy did that change.

At the time I was living in hot and humid FL (instead of hot and dry AZ :001_smile ) and thought I would give it a try. The results were that I got shaves just as good as using warm water but without all of the prep.

What I do is to use a good moisturizing facial soap using cool water. I then rinse my face with cool water and take my brush that has been sitting in cool water and load the brush if I am using a puck. If using a stick I then apply the brush to my face. It's that simple and is great in warm or hot weather. I use cool water on my face in between passes and rinse my face with cool water after my shave is over.

Top Bottom