What's new

First cigar

Not sure on your location as I can't see it on Tapatalk so I won't make suggestions on makes as I don't know what you can get hold of. What I will say is go for larger ring gauge and shorter cigar over a thinner longer one. I'd say 40+, you will find it far smoother, especially if you don't puff like a train on it - 1 puff per minute is plenty.

Smoking cigars is also very subjective, I've tried some people rave about and hated them, as have I tried ones that people don't rate and found them pretty good!

Like L-Ski said, where you are is a big consideration. Here's a good list of cigars from another site that I frequent. I'd definitely start with something mild given that you've never smoked anything. The Macanudo Cafe line is a good place to start if you're in the US. If you're outside of the US and have easy access to Cubans, I've heard great things about the Por Larranaga Petit Corona. I haven't smoked one myself, though it's on my radar. I've had the Por Larranaga Encantos, which is supposed to be similar, and it was out of this world good!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat,I have never smoked anything either just chewed some years ago, but I think I would like to try a cigar. Something about a cigar and a glass of bourbon just appeals to me. I don't ever want to even try a cigarette, I hate to be around them, but cigars are pure tobacco without all the nasty additives. I actually went to the local cigar shop/bar and purchased a couple, an Ashton Imperial and an Avo Uvezian Classic No. 2. I am thinking about the Ashton Imperial first. Any opinions would be helpful to me also. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
You should start mild, and you can't go wrong with a Macanudo. Something in a corona size, 5.5 x 42 will be plenty to let you know if you'll enjoy the hobby. Do NOT inhale the smoke, even a mild Macanudo is no clove cigarette, it'll hurt you. Smoke slow, no more than than a couple puffs a minute, and even that's considered a pretty fast tempo. Make sure you have an hour of peace and relaxation time, and a nice beverage. Kick back and enjoy.

My first cigar was a Macanudo Hyde Park. Very mild and well constructed, if a bit pricey. Seeing as you have never smoked before, I recommend starting as mild and you can and working your way up the strength scale as you figure out your tastes.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
When I was a beginning cigar smoker, I really enjoyed the Avo XO. Its a nice mild smoke, with lots of good mild flavor. Well constructed, and burns very nicely. A quality smoke for a beginner.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Macanudo is a good starting point; too mild for my taste, but excellent starter.
Don Diego is a (imo) much better, more flavorful than the Mac; my go to for a mild cigar
Perdomo, especially the Champagne, more on the medium side, but a serious world class smoke
Montecristo & Ashton, mild to medium, a bit more expensive, but a great smoke

I have not tried these, but I have heard that the Isla Del Sol by Drew Estates is a great cigar. Mild but great flavor. The wrapper has a slight sugar coating that reminded me of a cigar I used to love.
I can't get them anymore, but the T
orano, Sweet Nostalgia cigar was, I think, the first cigar that I could not get enough of in my early days. Nice and mild, but with some character - and had a sugar cane nectar dip on the tip of the wrapper and was delicious. This Isla Del Sol may be a good or better substitute and will be on my next order...

Aloha,

Macanudo is a great starter cigar. Very smooth and mild.

Avo Classic is a little pricier but, extremely smooth and creamy.

Mahalo

Another vote for the Mac. Also they are easy to find: any decent cigar seller will have them.
My first cigar was a Macanudo Hyde Park. Very mild and well constructed, if a bit pricey. Seeing as you have never smoked before, I recommend starting as mild and you can and working your way up the strength scale as you figure out your tastes.

Top Bottom