What's new

First Canadian Shave Company, tested their soap

I've got samplers of the tallow and lanolin in vetiver as well ad sandalwood.
Performance-wise, the one problem I have with it is that it tends to dissipate on the second pass.

I have a sample of their vetiver, and I actually quite enjoy that scent. It's a kind of "sharp" smell, rather than the "smoky, grassy" smell that other vetivers have.

$IMG_20150617_154853.jpg

It came in. Here in three days. They both smell so masculine and clean, im especially impressed with the barbershop smells unique from your usual bergamot/neroli/patchouli/oak moss kind, has sharp citrus notes. Excited to try tonight!

$20150617_203044.jpg

This was the consistency of each.
Posting full shave review next post

Vetiver on top, Barbershop Fade on bottom

Last edited:
I am VERY impressed with this soap. Used the Grand Valley Vetiver first, bloomed while in shower. Swirled my Omega 10066 boar on top for 45 seconds or so, and built a LOT of lather with ease. I had enough for all 3 passes of my head shave, which is rare when I use this brush. I will review based on the following points

Scent 9

I like this Vetiver alot. As Porter Hayes pointed out, its much sharper then other Vetiver scents. It really came out when bloomed and stayed on my hands even after I splashed on my aftershave (chose AV Original Sport as its only for Canadian market) but there are no worries of a faint scent.

Ease of Lather 10

It was awesome. Lots of it, very easy to make, had tons left over

Slickness 9

Had a good deal of residual slickness, which I like for my head shaves as when I shave the back of my head I dont use any mirrors, so slicker the better

Protectiveness 8

First pass I did not feel anything at all, it was that smooth. Second and Third pass it wasnt as protective as the first, normally with Mikes or Strop Shoppe or Cella I get continuos protection and I will admit it sort of dropped off for those secondary passes. Still solid tho

Post Shave 9

Excellant post shave. Hard not have it with tallow, lanolin, shea butter and silk. But skin was supple and moist.

Total Grade= 45/50=90%

A very good soap! I am glad I found it.

I cant compare to Stirling as I do not own that, but I can compare it to the two that have similar profiles and performance and that is Mike's Natural and Strop Shoppe Special Editions. It is up there and can hang with them, Mike's is still my penultimate performer for head shaves but this is a keeper. What I like best is the fast shipping, as when you order Mike's it can be almost 5-6 weeks until it's actually in your hands. This is a worthy replacement product and I can see it shining in our harsh Canadian winters.

used the Barbershop Taper Fade, same performance. These are good soaps. I still would rank Mike's the best then Strop Shoppe SE, but these are up there

Brian packed them up quite nice and split them up as I requested. Very fast shipping. Great service. The Sandalwood, Barbershop and Vetiver smell very similar to me in the container with the Vetiver standing out as spicier but I doubt this will be the case after I have them applied and immerse myself in one for the day. I will lock and load in the morning and update you on the shave.

Last edited:
You walk into a field full of ferns and wildflowers and come upon a clearing. You cautiously proceed to find a Barber's chair and a lovely maiden bearing a straight razor. She applies First Canadian Shave's Barbershop Taper Fade and proceeds to remove your whiskers. The soap is slick, smells fresh, natural, green and of a barbershop. You find yourself left in a daze as you leave the chair after one of the best shaves you've ever had and your skin is left moisturized and well protected for the day with a lingering scent to remind you of the experience.

Scent 9

The scent reminds me of ferns, nature and a barbershop. An enticing combination and lingers well after the shave. I was going to finish the shave with some Pinaud Clubman which will match well but know that would completely overpower the soap's own after-scent so I just went with Alum and Dickson's Witch Hazel. This allowed the scent of the soap to linger for several hours after the shave.

Ease of Lather 10

I concur with the previous review. It was awesome and so easy to lather. I left some water in the croap while I showered and tons of slick lather was produced with an EJ in Best brush. Loaded up in the container provided and then moved to the face for lathering.

Slickness 9

Lots of slickness in the shave and the soap didn't stick to the brush when I washed it off later. The lather was slick without bubbles and very stable and wasn't adverse to too much water. It didn't fall off the brush into the sink like some do if too watery. I found the slickness very comparable to the Stirling soaps I've used. Stirling having a very negligible amount of additional slickness.

Protectiveness 10

My 2 passes seemed equally protective and I never felt that the blade might harm me (PolSilver SI was used). I find I get similar protection from other favorites like Tabac/Cella. I will try it out on my favorite aggressive SE (Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead) next time for an even more challenging test.

Post Shave 9

Moisturizing, protective post shave. This will be a go to croap in the harsh Canadian winter. Tallow, lanolin, shea butter and silk give this croap an excellent post shave feel. Stirling leaves a bit more of a protective layer of residue but this comes very close.

Total Grade= 47/50=94%

Very glad I tried this soap. I'd also like to comment that the ingredients seem to be very natural without anything that might be harmful and is also well priced. I'll be coming back for more when I go through this supply. Also will be gifting some to two friends for them to enjoy. Fast delivery and excellent customer service as my packaging instructions were exceeded. I'd put this soap top shelf against some of my other favorites such as Cella, Tabac and Cyril Salter (some of which have a lot more chemicals in them which I'm trying to avoid in the future).

Top Bottom