What's new

First brush completed

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have favorites in each ,badger,boar ,horse and synthetic.
I would have to say Badger is the one I reach for the most.
I would like to be a bigger fan of synthetic knots and I have a few that I really like
But I'm still on the lookout for a great synthetic knot. I have The new one that I just got from Frank shave ,but it was pricey and it took forever to get here. Also I have one from PAA ,it's called a faux boar and it has very nice feel.
The price is great ,under $5 for a 26mm. They are sold out right now

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have 49 behind me, not counting the box of failures.

Have you tried a boss knot? What are you favorites in each type?

The first one is the faux boar from paa and the second one is the Frank shave (my happy sunshine)
20181114_193308.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190607081905484.jpg

Could i see some pics of your new synthetic knots?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190606125920854.jpg
20190205_084245.jpg
Brushes3.jpg
Brushes4.jpg
Larry I would have to say that the Happy Sunshine is my favorite synthetic from Frank's shave but
at almost 10 times the amount of that Faux Boar I am not sure if it is worth the price ,it is really nice though:)I
I like bigger knots so most of my favorites are 24,26 and a couple of 28mm knots .
I have a 28mm plisoft type from Maggard that is outstanding .I also have a couple of Tuxedos and a couple of Gray timber wolf's ,the Cashmere knot and a brown faux horse. I have tried the Synbad and it was ok the Silk smoke was just the same as the others . I have tried them because people sent me knots . To me most are pretty much the same just different colors. I almost forgot I also have the very first synthetic brush I bought,a Zenith that I paid good money
for at the time . It was my favorite for along while.
There are a few more that I would love to try but I got bit by the Badger .
I just Ordered a 26mm fan knot Badger from Shavemac the most money I have ever spent on a knot.
Did I say that I have way to many Brushes . Here is a picture of a few of my boars
also

Of the knots i have and have tried i think i like the Boss knot for synthetics as it has a bit more backbone than the tuxedo which i'd put second.

Agree 100%. The BOSS/Gamechanger is the only synth I like. Super soft on the skin but major backbone. I still like my two band badgers the most, but whenever I want a quick shave without soaking a brush, or I forget to soak one while showering I’m more than happy to use it.

And a word on cocobolo. It’s one of the most beautiful woods you’ll ever see, but it has a high allergy rate. To make it worse, many who aren’t initially allergic become sensitized. Definitely use dust control like Steve said. Asthma, rashes, and pink eye are common ailments of working with it, not to mention full blown serious reactions. One should always be extra careful when working with the true rosewoods. But damn, are they worth it!

View attachment 989406 View attachment 989407 View attachment 989426 View attachment 989427 Larry I would have to say that the Happy Sunshine is my favorite synthetic from Frank's shave but
at almost 10 times the amount of that Faux Boar I am not sure if it is worth the price ,it is really nice though:)I
I like bigger knots so most of my favorites are 24,26 and a couple of 28mm knots .
I have a 28mm plisoft type from Maggard that is outstanding .I also have a couple of Tuxedos and a couple of Gray timber wolf's ,the Cashmere knot and a brown faux horse. I have tried the Synbad and it was ok the Silk smoke was just the same as the others . I have tried them because people sent me knots . To me most are pretty much the same just different colors. I almost forgot I also have the very first synthetic brush I bought,a Zenith that I paid good money
for at the time . It was my favorite for along while.
There are a few more that I would love to try but I got bit by the Badger .
I just Ordered a 26mm fan knot Badger from Shavemac the most money I have ever spent on a knot.
Did I say that I have way to many Brushes . Here is a picture of a few of my boars
also

Such an impressive collection GD. Really stunning. Did you do the resin and burl or is that a Dogwood? It was his Aurora brushes that inspired me to start making my own.

I really like the checkered handle next to the Frank's Shave.

Speaking off, have you got a link? I haven't seen that synthetic anywhere, it looks a lot like a badger. What do you like about it/how does it compare to a boss or tuxedo?

Last edited:
Agree 100%. The BOSS/Gamechanger is the only synth I like. Super soft on the skin but major backbone. I still like my two band badgers the most, but whenever I want a quick shave without soaking a brush, or I forget to soak one while showering I’m more than happy to use it.

And a word on cocobolo. It’s one of the most beautiful woods you’ll ever see, but it has a high allergy rate. To make it worse, many who aren’t initially allergic become sensitized. Definitely use dust control like Steve said. Asthma, rashes, and pink eye are common ailments of working with it, not to mention full blown serious reactions. One should always be extra careful when working with the true rosewoods. But damn, are they worth it!

Thanks for the heads up. Not really a worry, i'm not even sure there is any Cocobolo in my part of the world. I've looked..

There's actually a synth out with much much more backbone than the Boss. I don't know it's name but i have a couple. They're too stiff for my liking and i find them unwieldy.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Such an impressive collection GD. Really stunning. Did you do the resin and burl or is that a Dogwood? It was his Aurora brushes that inspired me to start making my own.

Which one is the Frank's Shave? I did some searching but didn't turn up much.

It was a"Dogwood" Aurora.
I didn't care for the shape so I put my spin on it
The"Happy Sunshine" is the Frank.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190606125917728_COVER.jpg

Larry , anything new?

No not this week. I've been very sick and also need to build a new platform to set up the grinder for the lathe tools on.

Should be able to get back to it next week, i've got quite a few handles that need finishes applied to them and there's a couple of new shapes i'm pretty happy with amoungst those.

Quick question to everyone. I've had quite a few of my knots set with silicone come lose. Is there a way to guarantee they won't when using silicone?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Quick question to everyone. I've had quite a few of my knots set with silicone come lose. Is there a way to guarantee they won't when using silicone?

I have had the same experience with silicone
My problem was, I think I used to much and it didn't cure proper

@Fat Larry anything new ? I miss seeing your work.

Aww shucks GD.

No nothing, the lathes bearings started to seize up right around the last time i posted and getting it repaired has been a slow process. It should be done soon.

I'm working on a razor/brush stand and a desk at the moment.

Top Bottom