What's new

First brush completed

Today i learnt a valuable lesson. I wish i could learn lessons on wood i had more of and handles i didn't like.. ah well, there's a lesson in that as well.

I wanted to expand the hole of this stubby to accommodate a larger knot as i felt the handle was more suited to something bigger than the 26mm i'd drilled it for. Turns out thats not quite as straight forward as i'd assumed and this destruction was the result.

Very sad today. I was happy with that little stubby.
You could fill the body with Bondo and sand the broken edge flat. Then turn the brush upside down and insert the knot on the other end...it would be a small knot, but it would salvage your work...but obviously you would have to refinish the whole thing

You could fill the body with Bondo and sand the broken edge flat. Then turn the brush upside down and insert the knot on the other end...it would be a small knot, but it would salvage your work...but obviously you would have to refinish the whole thing
That would probably look very nice with a boar or synth boar knot. They're slim (at least omegas are), so you'd get a good size one in there still, no? With the 'fat bottom' handle, it might have a look less common (unique is good, no?).

That would probably look very nice with a boar or synth boar knot. They're slim (at least omegas are), so you'd get a good size one in there still, no? With the 'fat bottom' handle, it might have a look less common (unique is good, no?).
That’s what I was thinking...the handle would be the fat end, so you’d have to palm the brush a little more but..all of that work wouldn’t go to waste, plus the brush would have an interesting story behind it.

Larry how did you drill it out?

On the lathe. I was wanting to ask you how you do your head transplants. Do you eyeball the cuts or have you figured out a way to make sure they come out straight?

Thanks for the suggestion of a filler. I will fill it with resin at some point and make a hybrid.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I use a parting tool on the lathe and create a
Tenion then I will take another piece and drill a hole the same size of the tenion and glue them together using my lathe as the clamp, between the tail stock and the drive center

A couple from today. The camera isn't quite conveying it but these are probably the best CA Jobs I've done. I think i'm going to keep the stubby here, really liking it.

Thanks GD for the tip in the other thread sanding smooth after a few coats made a good difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_181650.jpg
    IMG_20190604_181650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190604_181817.jpg
    IMG_20190604_181817.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks. I think it is half Rimu and half something unknown but i am not totally sure, i found the blanks in the scrap bin.

Today I tried turning some ply wood I found.....and experienced a new level of catchy mayhem and destruction previously unimagined in my turning journey.

Took me a moment to work out why.. Don't turn ply folks. It's not the same as laminated turning blanks even if it looks like it..

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_162251.jpg
    IMG_20190606_162251.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Also produced this little stubby and a longer design from some walnut and mystery wood I glued up. This is the fourth or fifth attempt to copy the darker handle pictured here, and the first timet ive got close enough for my satisfaction. I really like the way this one feels in the hand though it is a little top heavy.

The stubby also feels good in hand and walnut is lovely to work with. Such a nice smell.

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_174021.jpg
    IMG_20190606_174021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190606_174050.jpg
    IMG_20190606_174050.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190606_174134.jpg
    IMG_20190606_174134.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190606_174208.jpg
    IMG_20190606_174208.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Today I tried turning some ply wood I found.....and experienced a new level of catchy mayhem and destruction previously unimagined in my turning journey.

Took me a moment to work out why.. Don't turn ply folks. It's not the same as laminated turning blanks even if it looks like it..

I've seen things turned from old skateboards. It can be done it's just not as easy. I'm sure extremely sharp tools and a very light touch are required. But there are so many beautiful more stable woods to work with I don't mess with stuff like that.
You could shape that the rest of the way with sand paper and have something interesting and unique though. I've had to do a lot of sanding on several handles that just didn't want to cooperate.

Also produced this little stubby and a longer design from some walnut and mystery wood I glued up. This is the fourth or fifth attempt to copy the darker handle pictured here, and the first timet ive got close enough for my satisfaction. I really like the way this one feels in the hand though it is a little top heavy.

The stubby also feels good in hand and walnut is lovely to work with. Such a nice smell.

The handles are turning out really nicely. Are the knots just put in place for pictures or have you bought that many knots.

I've seen things turned from old skateboards. It can be done it's just not as easy. I'm sure extremely sharp tools and a very light touch are required. But there are so many beautiful more stable woods to work with I don't mess with stuff like that.
You could shape that the rest of the way with sand paper and have something interesting and unique though. I've had to do a lot of sanding on several handles that just didn't want to cooperate.

The handles are turning out really nicely. Are the knots just put in place for pictures or have you bought that many knots.

Interesting, i might have another go with it. Would you suggest a fast or slower turning rpm?

The knots are just placed for pictures. I bought a dozen or so a while back to test.

Medium speed and rough sand to shape them work finer is what I would do and have done. I had some palm wood that just kept tearing out. Eventually I got to where I can turn it reasonably, although sometimes I still have problems with it. It's a role of the dice kinda wood for me. But when it turns out good it is beautiful.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Larry what is your favorite knot ?
Also to answer your question about
Cocobolo, it is a pleasure to work with and you can uncover some really interesting grain and color.
Sharp tools and good dust control are a must.
Definitely one of my favorite woods to work with.

Of the knots i have and have tried i think i like the Boss knot for synthetics as it has a bit more backbone than the tuxedo which i'd put second.

My experience with badgers/boars and horse knots is fairly limited, an Omega and an unknown horse (maybe a Vie-long?) for the latter and precisely three badgers for the former, all of which were very nice, even the uncooperative one i posted about.

As i don't know the conditions those animals were farmed and slaughtered in i wasn't planning to get to involved with animal hair knots.

@Graydog What are yours?

Last edited:
Top Bottom