What's new

First brush completed

Today's work, both Jarrah. Following on from that previous shape. One has ca on it and one is not quite finished.

I'm enjoying the depth of colour that comes out of this wood when finish is applied. It's really quite red!

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_172115.jpg
    IMG_20190502_172115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Tis but a flesh wound. That's a shame. Do they go to deep to sand out and reshape?

Come back here and i'll bite your legs off!

I'd lose most of the lip but i could get something out of it i guess. I'm thinking to do another like that one today, will post it up later if it survives.

Come back here and i'll bite your legs off!

I'd lose most of the lip but i could get something out of it i guess. I'm thinking to do another like that one today, will post it up later if it survives.

Sometimes things are worth reshaping. A lot of my turning projects go through several phases of nearly finished.

Sometimes things are worth reshaping. A lot of my turning projects go through several phases of nearly finished.

I managed to save I.. mostly :)

In other news I had a shocking day with my finishes. On three brushes it turned white and patchy after sanding despite looking like it was going ok.

If anyone can shed any light on why this happens id really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_173444.jpg
    IMG_20190503_173444.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Nice save.
Do you use an accelerant when you do a CA finish? I've had them cause white bubbling. Otherwise possibly humidity issues before it was cured or heating while sanding. Hard to say for sure. Maybe someone has better insight. I'm just guessing possible causes.

Actually, i think i know what was happening with the finish today. Found some ideas from doing some reading around here.. Jarrah has very large pores and is a very hard wood. Maybe i need a sanding sealer or something similar or perhaps just a lot more coats of CA. Will try again next week.

Nice save.
Do you use an accelerant when you do a CA finish? I've had them cause white bubbling. Otherwise possibly humidity issues before it was cured or heating while sanding. Hard to say for sure. Maybe someone has better insight. I'm just guessing possible causes.

No, I was considering but haven't tried accelerant yet. It is hard to say and it's hard to find out exactly what's going on when all the instruction videos I've found go along the lines of "How to do a ca finish. Apply thin ca to a paper towel, apply towel to pen, spritz with accelerant or wait till cured. Repeat four to fifteen times, then sand with micromesh and water till it looks perfect".

There are some downsides to learning alone.

It could be moisture, I might need to wait longer before sanding.

I don't usually use accelerant. I find it ads more problems than cures, I usually put on a few layers sand fairly smooth ad a few more and finish sand.
I wait long enough to be sure it's cured well and wet sand at the lowest speed to avoid heat buildup. If there is a large flaw I will turn lathe off and dry sand that spot out or file it with a fine file. Then blend it in. Sometimes I end up going back to bare wood. I get great results quickly sometimes but most of the time i have a heck of a time getting good results with CA. I wish I new a good alternative to try. But when you get CA right the finish is amazing.

Today's work, another longer shape which I'm continuing to dig. Wood is Macrocarpa which I've found out is also know as Monterey Cypress. It's beautiful to turn, very buttery and I love the scent of it.

Finish came out good.. but it had a little accident and the top split, it'll be right tomorrow once the glue sets.

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_175411.jpg
    IMG_20190508_175411.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
Today did not go well :/ I think it's time to get a new jaw set

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_123448.jpg
    IMG_20190513_123448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Today did not go well :/ I think it's time to get a new jaw set
Looks like a great opportunity for a nice save :)

Larry what I have found out about the white CA film is
to much to soon . That has happened in the past for me and
When I try and finish it to quickly that is the result I get.

Larry what I have found out about the white CA film is
to much to soon . That has happened in the past for me and
When I try and finish it to quickly that is the result I get.

Awesome thank you. I wlll keep that in mind. I'm getting better results lately. I re did that Longer Jarrah shape back on page 3 with CA and it came out pretty good bar some lumpiness in a few spots.

I have only just started considering getting my own lathe and space. I've been lucky enough to have found a workshop i can go to that has let me use their lathe and tools, which is pretty amazing really.

There was a good video on youtube i saw recently on the subject of choosing a lathe. Do a quick search, i'm sure you'll find lots.

For me i want something with electronic variable speed so i don't have to change belts around. This automatically puts me in a high price bracket by the looks of things. I actually haven't done much research beyond this as yet. I haven't thought of size and manufacturer as yet but i was recently watching a video of a man turning whole burls into beautiful bathroom sinks which got me wondering about the possibilities of what you can get into with a lathe.

These were quite hard to turn. I cut the blanks so that the laminates were not parallel, probably 10-20 degrees off so that the stripes run diagonally. My gouge felt like it was blunt going through this, though it wasn't, and they were a bit catchy which i put down to the grain being misaligned. I am not sure what woods i used but i don't think there was anything particularly unusual in there.

It was an interesting experiment i may try again at some point. Have you tried something like this GD?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Many times. I like putting different woods together
What speed are you turning at ?
This was one of first brushes I ever made
20190421_100113.jpg
20190331_135618.jpg

I'm not actually sure. Will have to check tomorrow but i think i was at 1800rpm.

That second one has some nice curves on it. Do you drill your holes after turning or do you turn supported at both ends then drill and part off?

I have only just started considering getting my own lathe and space. I've been lucky enough to have found a workshop i can go to that has let me use their lathe and tools, which is pretty amazing really.

There was a good video on youtube i saw recently on the subject of choosing a lathe. Do a quick search, i'm sure you'll find lots.

For me i want something with electronic variable speed so i don't have to change belts around. This automatically puts me in a high price bracket by the looks of things. I actually haven't done much research beyond this as yet. I haven't thought of size and manufacturer as yet but i was recently watching a video of a man turning whole burls into beautiful bathroom sinks which got me wondering about the possibilities of what you can get into with a lathe.

Bathroom sinks, What are the possibilities
How about a swimming pool size bowl.

CwEld3LVYAAaOYL.jpg

But seriously the possibilities are nearly limitless. A bigger lathe with the right tool rest can easily turn smaller objects but a small lathe can't turn bigger objects.

I guess its turning but can you call that a lathe?!?! Ooooff i would not want to get a catch hollowing out the inside of a pool. That man doesn't need a face shield, he needs a helmet and armour.

Top Bottom