What's new

First brush and arthritis, advice please.

What tools work best fir your hands? Are those tools with long handles, fat handles, thin handles, or something different? Find a brush that has similar handle qualities.
Yep. I have been fooling around with different shapes and sizes. I have pretty much determined a Shavemac #87 style handle with a minimum 1.5" diameter at the base and minimum 2.5" length. I could easily add .25" to either measurement and be happy.
I was discussing this with Rudy Vey when my wife went ahead and bought me the PAA Doppler. It should work for me pretty well. I will use it for awhile to see how my theories work out. Then maybe it will become my travel brush and I will get back in touch with Rudy Vey.
Or, maybe it will be all I need?
I will update this thread as I figure things out.

With your requirements, I would recommend you look at the Trafalgar T3 shaving brush made by Alexander Simpson. It is a 26mm knot which means it will have a slightly larger handle diameter as well as knot diameter. The wider handle should be easier to hold with your arthritic fingers. The larger knot diameter means it will take fewer swirls to load and lather your soap or cream. That should also be an advantage.

The brush is available in two smaller sizes. I have the T2 (24 mm), but due to the shape of the knot, I find it to be smaller than I like.

I have very sensitive skin. I normally bowl lather, but the Trafalgar synthetic fiber is soft enough that I can face lather. Due to the shape of the knot, it has decent backbone.

Although the black fiber "Boss" type knots are soft, they do not have much backbone and they still tend to feel a little "scrubby" even though there is no "scritch". That is why I prefer the Tragalgar.
That is way to short for me. I think I would be holding on to the knot.

View attachment 1549890

In the same vein, I'll mention the Omega Evo. The knot seems a good bit smaller than its actual size makes it sound like. It is a terrific knot. I have only this one synthetic. I am a 100% face latherer.

If doing it over I'd get a prettier handle, but that's only because I now know how great the knot is.

This is great advice, but the knot must be a good one, and not all synthetics are even close to good. According to me, many aren't.

Here's a link to the advice given to me by knowledgable-on-synthetics gentlemen. Mostly I was interested in the knots and not the handles.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1549890

In the same vein, I'll mention the Omega Evo. The knot seems a good bit smaller than its actual size makes it sound like. It is a terrific knot. I have only this one synthetic. I am a 100% face latherer.

If doing it over I'd get a prettier handle, but that's only because I now know how great the knot is.

This is great advice, but the knot must be a good one, and not all synthetics are even close to good. According to me, many aren't.

Here's a link to the advice given to me by knowledgable-on-synthetics gentlemen. Mostly I was interested in the knots and not the handles.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Pretty much figured out the parameters of my needs at this point. If I have a brush made I am looking pretty hard at a 24mm or 26mm G5C.
The Muhle STF looks good too or, maybe I will love the PAA knot I have coming?

@hariph creek , welcome to B&B! I think it's great that your wife ordered the PAA brush for you and hope it works well for you.

If you decide to pick up another brush, I can't recommend @Rudy Vey enough. I only have one RV shaving brush, but it is one of my most prized shave possessions. Rudy is a true master of his craft!

@hariph creek , welcome to B&B! I think it's great that your wife ordered the PAA brush for you and hope it works well for you.

If you decide to pick up another brush, I can't recommend @Rudy Vey enough. I only have one RV shaving brush, but it is one of my most prized shave possessions. Rudy is a true master of his craft!
I genuinely enjoyed corresponding with him. I have also seen many pictures of his work and read many testimonials.
If I find I really like the PAA Doppler I suspect it will become my travel brush so I can have him make me one.

So I used the Doppler this morning. This is my first brush and I guess I will judge all brushes going forward by this. This is not a review of the brush so much as of it's fit for my issues.
I have no frame of reference but, 26mm is a huge knot. I suspect my initial leanings towards a 22mm or 24mm will prove true.
The knot itself feels nice and really was super easy to use.
The handle is ENORMOUS! Which when coupled with the shape, works quite well for my bad hands. It is a great off the shelf option for me. Not perfect but, very close.

I am 6'-2" and wear extra large gloves, to establish scale.
20221104_041102.jpg
20221104_041058.jpg

It is large enough to hold without having to squeeze and also keeps my hand far enough from the knot to stay lather free. My peculiar grip makes painting motions easier than swirling. Some of that is my lack of experience as well.
I am going to use this for awhile. It will teach me what I do and do not like. It could very well be THE brush for me.
One thing is for sure... this is way too big for a travel brush, for me at least. My DOP Kit is small and efficient. The Doppler in it's case is maybe 1/4 the size of my whole kit.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have a pinched nerve that has completely messed up my dominant hand (since January!) I sometimes hold the brush like this and it helps sometimes.
9C4CC1E3-9A8A-4945-9629-4007386CD12F.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A888D6A-A933-4715-8AF6-CE9E9AF5FA18.jpeg
    1A888D6A-A933-4715-8AF6-CE9E9AF5FA18.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Shavemac #386 24mm knot with a 26mm or 28mm sized handle.
I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome, but after having a De Quervain's surgery in 1981, and a carpal scaphoid bone fusion in 1995 on my left wrist, I'm well aware of your issues.
The following shapes, I found, were working for me very well then: PJ, Keyhole, AS3M, so in principle a longer type of brush with a narrower waist.
I really like my PJ2 Simpson, and my 22/50 Shavemac in my own custom turned handle.

~doug~

So far the Doppler is working pretty well. Big and easy to hang onto without needing a pinch grip. For me, it is a good starter brush to refine my notions.

Just a thought for you, but what are your thoughts on custom? The knots are available for online purchase, a quick Google search should bring up a knot that runs your bell. The handle you might be able to get a good woodworker with a lathe to custom turn a handle that can conform to your grip requirements. Then just have him seal the bejeezus out of it. From there, it's a matter of gluing the knot to the handle. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but it might be worth looking into.

Just a thought for you, but what are your thoughts on custom? The knots are available for online purchase, a quick Google search should bring up a knot that runs your bell. The handle you might be able to get a good woodworker with a lathe to custom turn a handle that can conform to your grip requirements. Then just have him seal the bejeezus out of it. From there, it's a matter of gluing the knot to the handle. I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but it might be worth looking into.
I have been talking with Rudy Vey about this. Ultimately, that is the way this is going.

I have a lot of problems with my hands. I like robust handles almost to the point of being cartoonish. I also prefer bigger knots and like natural fibers best.
90366D72-514C-454F-84DD-9E0DA944FC61.jpeg
A010839F-8A29-4752-AC38-1D980AD29F26.jpeg

Top Bottom