What's new

first Boar, Semogue 830, 1305 or Omega Pro #48/49?

Expanding shaving brushes, have a nice Maggard BW synthetic and a Cremo horse hair. Relatively happy with both. I am primarily a shaving stick face latherer, but go to the bowl for lathering once or twice a week. Want to get a good quality modestly priced boar for facel lathering as well as the occasional bowl lathering. After review of many posts, I think I have my choices narrowed down to the Semogue 830 or 1305 or the Omega Pro #48/49. Anyone have strong opinions/preferences? Thanks.

Semogue 830 & 1305 are the same knot just different handle IIRC. Either one is excellent once broken in. No experience with the Omega, so my vote goes to Semogue.
2018-02-05 22.01.21.jpg

I've tried the Semogue 1250 and Omega 10065. Soaked both the same time and loaded both the same time with soap. The Semogue produced lather for 2 passes while the Omega made enough for 3 or 4. The Semogue took a month to break in while the Omega broke in within a week. I gave away the Semogue and kept the Omega. Maybe it was a dud knot, but the Omega clearly performed better.

I am a mostly badger guy, so take this with a grain of salt!

Omega and Semogue have very different personalities. It really depends on what you are looking for. Both brands are well-respected and have many fans. My summary is that Semogue brushes will take longer to break in and tend toward more backbone (characteristics that appeal more to me.)

Either brand would be a good option!

0677C819-F6D9-4534-8E59-E0262F6F4A74.jpeg
Omega to me has always been the better knot; Semogue has the edge on handles. There are exceptions to that though. The Omega 11126 has to be one of the best all around brushes I own-$20 or less. The Ovangkol wood handle is a near perfect fit for me.

Last edited:
I only have three brushes - a Semogue 1305 a 1250 and Yaqi 26mm synth.

I look forward to the mornings when I use my 1305. it is absolutely perfect. Loads well for my regular 3-4 passes on face but also works well with the bowl. The tips are really soft and it has the perfect amount of backbone. In comparison the 1250 has too much loft and the Yaqi is just too big and doesn’t splay or feel as nice on the face. I bought the 1305 over the 830 because I had read somewhere that it has a denser knot.

The breakin period on the 1305 definitely takes a while but it’s worth the wait - be prepared to stick to using it for bowl lathering during the first month.

Hello

The Omega Pro 10098 is probably my favorite brush period.
I have 3-4 Omega boar brushes including the 48/49. All are very good but the 98 stands out. YMMV.

Cheers
John

I suggest on of the Semogue brushes.
I put here an interesting board with Semogue Brushes and their hair grade rate.

proxy.php

Hello

The Omega Pro 10098 is probably my favorite brush period.
I have 3-4 Omega boar brushes including the 48/49. All are very good but the 98 stands out. YMMV.

Cheers
John
I have a lot of Omega brushes but as I continue to gravitate back to mugs, the 98 has moved to the front of the line.

You won't go wrong with any of those.
You mention that you've done your homework, just want to point out the the 10049 is a big brush with a quite tall loft (59mm).
Most people who face lather seem to prefer brushes with lofts under 55mm, such as the Semogue 610 mentioned above.

I just picked up the 830. I've owned a 610 or 620 for a few years that I cannot use.

The 830 feels nicer and performs better than the other one already. And that's after only a test lather, a drying cycle, and two uses letting it dry in between.

The unbanded lower lofted one just never worked for me. It's got to be broken in. It's got split ends. Been used a couple of hundred times at least.

The 830 has much nicer hairs. I would have liked to have had the option to get one without the dyed band, but I think that's probably what led me down the wrong road with Semogue in the first place.

If the 830 keeps going, in a week or two it will be softer than some of my badger brushes for sure.

I have the Semogue 830 (in red) and SOC. I also have the Omega 49 and Omega Proraso. I mostly face lather as well. Of these I prefer in order: Semogue 830, Omega Proraso, SOC then Omega 49. I prefer the 830 for because it has better backbone and less splay than the SOC.
I like the shorter loft of the Proraso of the Omegas. Either 830 or Proraso will serve you well.

I have the Omega Pro 49 and love it. One thought I have is since this is your first boar and you really aren't sure if you'll like the scritch of a boar, why not go with one that is inexpensive. For that I'd stick with Omega since they tend to be less expensive than the Semogues. And if you find you like boars, you can always add to the collection.

Top Bottom