What's new

First bifocals :(

Argh!

I'm 48. The optometrist thought I should have bifocals two years ago already, and I refused, even though I couldn't read anything less than 18 inches away without taking my glasses off even then. Now at +1.5 I finally had to give in. My new lined bifocals just arrived from Zenni today ($70, what a deal) and they are exactly what they are supposed to be. But how long is it going to take before I get used to this? I feel like I'm going to be sick...

I tried progressive bifocals last month (early 50s,going on 25 - grin). It took me a day to realize they aren't for me. I read fine without glasses, so they are not really necessary. My wife had bifocals with her old pair, which drove her crazy for two years. She replaced them with two pairs of glasses; readers and distance. I am not saying some people will benefit from them, but both my wife and I didn't care for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You will get used to them in just a few days. I have had those with lines and those without lines. At this point I prefer those without lines. If a sense of dizziness persists, check with your eye doctor to see the glasses were actually made according to the prescription. When I picked up my first pair of glasses it happened that the left lens was cut to fit the right side of the frame and vice versa.

Tried bifocals 11 or 12 years ago and my eyes couldn't adjust. The doc swore that if my eyes were bad enough, they would adjust. They weren't and I didn't. I had the glasses redone with just reading lenses and now only wear them for pc work. At this point, I probably need 3 pair: distance, computer and closeup, but as I'm not willing to spend that amount of money for 3 different glasses, I just deal with my old reading glasses, which are fine for pc work, but not quite ideal for anything else.

Last edited:
I took the lasik mono vision correction route about 5 years ago, before that I had contacts and no line bifocals and lasik has worked out the best

Last edited:
You will get used to them in just a few days. I have had those with lines and those without lines. At this point I prefer those without lines. If a sense of dizziness persists, check with your eye doctor to see the glasses were actually made according to the prescription. When I picked up my first pair of glasses it happened that the left lens was cut to fit the right side of the frame and vice versa.

fortunately I don’t have that problem. Distance vision through the top is razor sharp and so is near vision through the bottom. I can’t remember the last time I sat in front of the TV with a book and was able to see both clearly, but it’s possible with these glasses. It appears my problem is I’ll have to get used to making sure my head is at the right angle so I’m looking through the right part of the lens when I’m looking at something. The first thing I did after putting these glasses on was shovel some snow off the driveway. Couldn’t figure out how to look down.

Varifocals (Progressive) for me now. They take a bit of getting used to and they're very pricey, but once your brain has sorted things out there's nothing better imo.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO has them and likes them, but I hate 'em. Got some over 20 years ago and when I'd stop a car and keep it in view with my head up, then glance down to grab the radio mic. to call in the tag, the radio was blurry through the bottom of the glasses. The glasses would also fog up on me at times. I finally went to contacts but hated those also.

My vision seems to have changed so distance is not that bad, but I need the Wallyworld +1.5 for reading. I do just fine with that and passed the last drivers license vision test without any.

It sucks getting old.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Getting old doesn’t suck. Being old sucks!!!
I wear the progressive glasses. Perfect for me from day 1.
When I drive I wear single vision contacts (distance only). Just so I can wear my sunglasses. My progressives are transition sunglasses but they don’t get dark enough while driving.

when I'd stop a car and keep it in view with my head up, then glance down to grab the radio mic. to call in the tag, the radio was blurry through the bottom of the glasses

Yeah, I just found that out a few minutes ago when I went to get dinner. That's not going to work. I'm going to have to keep single vision glasses in the car.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Argh!

I'm 48. The optometrist thought I should have bifocals two years ago already, and I refused,

1573874134731.png

I'm 48 as well. My eye doctor has been softening me up for that conversation for a couple years now.... I'm pretending not to hear her

Pretending. Riiiiiight.

1573874268723.png

Getting old doesn’t suck. Being old sucks!!!

No ... the alternative sucks.

I'm going to have to keep single vision glasses in the car.

Yeah ... I do the same. It's a good idea.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As others have said, they take a day or two to get used to. All I use now is a 1.5 contact in the right eye so I can read small print. Again, took a little getting used to. I hope to check out LASIK next year.

I’ve been using progressive lenses for ten years now and have never been truly happy with them. I guess I didn’t eat enough carrots as a kid.
:001_tongu

I bought my first and only bifocals from my ophthalmologist’s office - they said that online bifocals may start changing too close to the lens center where you still need long distance optics. If you don’t get used to them in a few days, you may want to try ones from Costco/locally to get them properly fitted (and so you have a comparison for the next set from Zenni/online).

Progressives work for me. Lined bifocals never did. The pricing on progressives is a bit painful. I had a very good optician for the progressives. He retired, now I need to find another who can get them done just right.

Only took me a few days to get used to my varifocals, but I do remember how awful it was too start with. My first pair were perfect. When I replaced them (after a couple of years) I began to get headaches instantly and I could not use them for more than a couple of minutes without feeling horrible. I went back to the opticians and they replaced the lenses with new ones, moving the centre of focus (not sure if that's the right term) down by 1mm. Instant difference, suddenly things were back to normal. I buy cheap reading glasses online, but would always buy varifocals from a shop that will give this kind of support

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Varifocals (Progressive) for me now. They take a bit of getting used to and they're very pricey, but once your brain has sorted things out there's nothing better imo.
x2
My eye glass place spent a lot of time instructing me on what to expect and wanted me to get comfortable with them before using them to drive. Driving took some time and for a few days i felt drunk going up or down stairs until i adjusted. I refused to get bifocals. Completely unacceptable.
maybe give it more time or try progressive lenses.

I keep two pairs of glasses. One for driving & another for computer work.

My eye doc was quite clear about the fact that bifocals would not suit me. He's been trying to get me to get Lasik, but after doing some research, I see no need to - there are too many downsides after a few years - partly because your number keeps changing, & partly because of the nature of the treatment..

Top Bottom