What's new

First bifocals :(

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been wearing progressive lenses for quite a while. Initially it took about 3 days before I could reach out and grab door knobs and stepping off stairs and curbs was a bit scary.

One of the things I found useful is "computer glasses". Essentially progressive lenses where the distance portion is only vary narrow at the top. . . this way the computer screen on my desk can be seen while looking through the middle of the lens.

I had lined bifocals for a couple of years before I tried the progressive bifocals. For a few days I hunted the spot where the desired object was in focus. Shortly, though, you instinctively know how to look at something and find the spot where it focuses right away. I like them very much.

This has all been very educational for the next time I buy . Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The wooziness is gone and I'm getting used to learning how to hold my head when I want to look at something. It's easier when it's not dark or I'm not tired. But I think it will be okay for now. I'm sure I'll wear them out soon enough and then I'll see if progressives make sense. Seems like a lot of people like them.

Multifocal contacts work for me

I’m going to the eye doctor next month and considering these. I currently wear Air Optix contact lenses every day, and making do with Wal Mart cheaters. Have you had any issues or adjustment problems with the multi focal contacts?

I also wear Air Optix.

I had absolutely no issues switching to multifocal contacts. There really was no adjustment period. I put them in and could read fine print again or thread a needle easily. I do find that they don't work well in low light. I keep a cheap pair of readers around for those occasions.

I've been wearing progressive lenses for the last twenty years, since my early forties. The first time I wore prescription lenses, it took me a good two weeks to get used to them, though I was 80% there in a few days. The last time I got new glasses, I was going to try lined bifocals, but I was miserable with them, and went back to progressives.

I also wear Air Optix.

I had absolutely no issues switching to multifocal contacts. There really was no adjustment period. I put them in and could read fine print again or thread a needle easily. I do find that they don't work well in low light. I keep a cheap pair of readers around for those occasions.

Thanks for the info. I’m not looking to sit and read a book all night with these, but it would be nice to be able to read my phone. Lol
Sounds like they will work fine.

I got my first pair of progressive lenses this year. The field of focus for reading vs computer monitor vs distance was too narrow and askew, so they were remade and the second version was better but I still don't like wearing them. I use them for driving but that is it. An expensive purchase mistake.

Everyone is a different but I don't understand how anyone can wear progressive lens, it seems to assume that the eyes don't rotate, that the person only tilts their head to seen things ahead. I ordered a second pair of single vision glasses from Zenni for the computer monitor which were helpful.

I was thinking that bifocals must be a lot better than progressives since it will better allow the person to chose which part of the glass to look through?

When I first got bifocals I could not stand them. So I tried progressives and I liked them much better. I did have a pair of glasses made just for my computer. Works better than tilting my head up for reading the screen.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I got mine two years ago. Only took a day or two to adjust. I got the fancy progressives - digitized ones. Love 'em. Have single vision sunglasses that are getting changed out in the spring, I'm so adapted to the progressives that the single vision just suck.

I've been wearing progressive bifocals for almost 30 years. As Teppanyaki stated the transition starting point from distance to close may be the problem. I need the starting point 2mm lower than the center. I couldn't drive with the first pair I got and needed to have them remade.

I have worn progressive bifocals for 20+ years. I can see the guages in my car clearly and I have no trouble reading books or my tablet, computer screens good too. Alignment of the glasses on your face is critical. They need to be set up by a professional so your head doesn't bob up and down like those little drinking birds.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got mine two years ago. Only took a day or two to adjust. I got the fancy progressives - digitized ones. Love 'em. Have single vision sunglasses that are getting changed out in the spring, I'm so adapted to the progressives that the single vision just suck.
i opted for single vision sunglasses when i got progressive lens in my usual frames. I wasn't sure what to expect with progressive and didn't think i would need them driving or on the beach. I can't read my phone in the car now without taking the sunglasses off. So next time ill get progressive in sunglasses too. I try not to increase my prescription frequently.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I can't read my phone in the car now without taking the sunglasses off.

for me it’s trying to tie a knot while fishing. I am pretty sure for sunglasses I will get the transition lenses that start somewhat tinted and will even darken in the car. They also polarize too so will be nice for wet roads, winter sun and fishing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
for me it’s trying to tie a knot while fishing. I am pretty sure for sunglasses I will get the transition lenses that start somewhat tinted and will even darken in the car. They also polarize too so will be nice for wet roads, winter sun and fishing.
even the newest transitions dont go clear. Indoors they have a tint to some extent that in my world have been called "glasses of shame" accordingly i dont have them anymore. :blink:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
even the newest transitions dont go clear. Indoors they have a tint to some extent that in my world have been called "glasses of shame" accordingly i dont have them anymore. :blink:
I was talking about the ones that stay darker and are intended as sunglasses for the most part, but I know several folks that have the "normal" transitions and maybe against a white piece of paper you could see tint, but you can't tell it on their face at all. If they are good enough for Robert Irvine, they are good enough for you! LOL

I got my first progressive lenses back in June. I've worn spectacles since I was in the first grade and have severe myopia, plus astigmatism. Surprisingly, it only took me a couple of days to get used to the progressive lenses. I'm now back to reading at all distances (distance vision was bad due to astigmatism) and I'm using the smallest font on my phone. Reading books and using the computer no longer give me eye strain either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm now 53, as hard as that is to believe. I made the transition to transitions lenses in my mid 40s. I never checked out bifocals. Lots of people take a while to adjust to the transitions lenses. I've been lucky where mine usually only take an afternoon, if that, to get adjusted to the new way the world looks. The first time took longer. Thank goodness for glasses. Man, there is little I can read these days without my glasses. I would be functionally print blind without them. I would probably be missing some ear hairs too.

Top Bottom