What's new

First Beard Attempt

Looks like it is filling in nicely. Just give the give it time before trying to establish cheek lines.

Hang in there.

Week 1, people assume you simply forgot to shave...

Weeks 2-3, you look like a bum, it itches and you just want to feel that good ol' BBS again...

By week 4, it will become apparent to all that you are indeed growing a beard and it's smooth sailing from there (unless you catch flak from the Mrs., which I certainly do...)

Looks like it is filling in nicely. Just give the give it time before trying to establish cheek lines.

I definitely feel like a bum, and have had some brief moments wanting to shave. But I made the goal of giving it until spring, at least.

I won't touch my cheeks until they fill in. I can't really tell where my cheek line should be yet. I have done my neck, though, just to help make it clear that I'm growing a beard and not just being lazy.

There are random hairs up above the rest of my facial hair. By cheek line I mean that I'm going to shave the stray hairs, nothing more.

Be very carful and go slow. Some times it starts off as 1 or 2, then you try to even it up side to side and the next thing you know you went to far.

There are random hairs up above the rest of my facial hair. By cheek line I mean that I'm going to shave the stray hairs, nothing more.
I've never cut a cheekline...

If you are worried about individual strays that are out of line, it is much easier to wrangle them with a pair of 6" barber shears than a razor or clippers. Easier to control and less chance of "going too far".

Just my humble opinion...

These are literally a couple random hairs on each cheek. I think they will look out of place if I keep them around, but I'm giving it time before I do anything. I was thinking about using an injector to shave them, but scissors is a better idea.

Let me just say this as well:

The title of this thread is misguided.

Beard "attempt"

No, that is all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are literally a couple random hairs on each cheek. I think they will look out of place if I keep them around, but I'm giving it time before I do anything. I was thinking about using an injector to shave them, but scissors is a better idea.
I know what you mean if I didn't do any clean up on the cheek line I would look like I had a cheek line plus extra eyebrows under my eyes. Also a few weird ones in the middle of my forehead. Only get the ones out in nowhere land. We can't all get away with a natural cheek line like Chris or the edge of a rug against a hardwood floor cut cheek line like Toothpick some of us have to just fake it somewhere in between the two. I find it best to not clean up the cheek line everyday, but only when the stray hairs become noticeable maybe once a week or so. You can use a beard trimmer, razor, scissors, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

End of week 3.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453993364.006286.jpg

Saw some family over the weekend and they were surprised that I was growing a beard since I am usually adamant about being clean shaven everyday. My older brother is growing a beard too, since late November. He has a similar growth pattern to mine, where one side (cheek and mustache) has slower growth than the other. I haven't had a problem with itching for the most part. I've gone through spells, maybe a portion of a day here and there, but it hasn't been bad. I'm less prickly now too, which is nice.

No negative reactions so far, but next week I'm going to be in a meeting and the director of my department will be there. He doesn't like beards, but I'm not concerned as other guys have grown beards who see him more frequently than I do and he hasn't said anything to them about it.

Top Bottom