What's new

First Beard Attempt

So, as the title says, I'm growing my first beard...ever. I have never been allowed to grow a beard. Long story short, I was on active duty, and then the job I started when I got out had an appearance standard/department policy that didn't permit beards. I didn't mind, though, because I'm fine with being clean shaven. Especially since I started using safety razors last summer. But last year there was some legal stuff and all appearance standards were dropped by the company. Upper management in my department had a back and forth with legal and HR about our department but the legal team doesn't want to touch it. This had been going on for a few months and it has calmed down and now I have an opportunity.

My last shave was on Wednesday morning, 6 January, putting me at day 4. So far so good, and I'm surprised at how relatively quick my beard is growing in. Still have some patchy areas on my cheeks but these are minor and everything else is beyond what I was expecting. Family genetics = men in my family normally can't grow much of a beard quickly.

I figured I would check in here so that I can communicate with other bearded men as I give mine a go because of the temptation to shave. I also packed away all of my shaving stuff into a cabinet so it's not on the counter to tempt me. I'm sure it will get better, but right now I'm indifferent to it since I have never grown one before and don't know what to expect. But that is also kind of exciting, the not knowing what to expect part.

Itchiness hasn't been bad, at least not yet. I have been using a balm on my face to keep my skin moisturized and I think that may be helping. I still want to set a neck line to clean up a little, but I'm holding on for another week or so to let my barber do it so I don't mess it up.

One of the best parts is that The Wife is on board, but she is unsure about it as well. For the same reasons as me though, she doesn't know what to expect or how it will look on me. She did promise to admit it if she likes it :thumbup:.

Anywho, pardon me for getting a little long winded. So, I'm growing a beard and I'm excited about it, although a little uncertain. I'll give it a month, and if I'm (realistically) satisfied with my progress I'll keep going. If not, it's an excuse to get a hot shave from my barber.

I fully support your effort to grow a beard. But if I could offer just a little advice...

First, there are very, VERY few men that can wear a respectable beard after only 4-8 weeks of growing. On average, it takes 3 months(13 weeks) for a beard to reach full maturity and fill in completely.

Second...be VERY leery of barbers. There are actually very few that are properly experienced in cutting and trimming beards. It is usually easier to do it yourself. For cutting in a neckline, start just above the Adam's Apple, and cut it back a little bit at a time. The idea is to define the bottom of the beard. Too low and it looks like neck beard. Too high and it gives you a double or triple chin. Generally speaking, 1 finger width above the Adam's Apple is a good place for the neck line.

***As a side note to the barber--after only 2 weeks of growth, if you "mess up" cutting in a neckline, it will only take a few days, maybe a week to "catch up". There is no harm in giving it a shot. Beards are very resilient and "fix" themselves readily, and it's better than being pissed at your barber.***

Thirdly...keep a growth journal. Document your growth with pictures, either publicly or privately. These progression photos will help you to see the positive changes from one week to the next, and could heklp you overcome hurdles and stumbles on the path. I started posted weekly selfies on facebook to track my progress, and then joined a forum that is very similar to this one in terms of positive attitudes, gentlemanly behavior, and community spirit. The men there are always happy to provide help, support, advice, and constructive input. Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with the link. I don't want to spam these forums or your inbox if the link is unwanted...

Lastly...if you get frustrated and want to shave it all of...DON'T!! Wait 48 hours from the time you get the urge until the time you pick up a razor. No matter how epic a man's beard might look to you, trust me when I tell you that he, too, has had moments of frustration where he wanted to throw in the towel and shave it all of. We ALL have those moments. The beauty of growing a beard is that time cures all our problems. Length, time, and patience will make everything better...I promise.

The only difference between a man trying to grow a beard and a truly Bearded Man is time and patience. That's it. Embrace your beard, because it grows especially for your face, and wear it with pride and confidence. If you present yourself confidently as a bearded man, the world will accept it.

Welcome to the world of the fuzzy-faced! I haven't trimmed my beard in more than 5 months at this point, and I have no interest in trimming any time soon...

Congrats!

It is somewhat ironic you can find plenty of great advice(see above)on beard growing in a shaving forum, but you can.

That is how we roll here at B&B.

I think every man should try to grow one just once in his lifetime, and if it does not suit him, so be it.

As a means of being encouraging, here are a couple pics of me...one at the start of me Beard Journey, and one just the other day...

$GonniesShot.jpg
This was taken in August 2015, and shows about 5 weeks of growth. I wore my beard at this length for about the last 10 years...

$5mths.jpg
This was taken about a week ago, and shows about 20 weeks of growth...

And I changed my hairstyle...

Last edited:
[MENTION=106871]BadDad[/MENTION]

Thanks for the tips, and you have an epic beard. I'll be a little less cautious and will tackle my neck line myself. One finger's width above my Adam's apple puts me two fingers' width below my jawline so It shouldn't be difficult for me to cup my chin and jaw as I go along. I'll start keeping a growth journal, too. I think it's a great idea and will help me be realistic about what I'm growing. I'm not expecting the beard of Zeus anytime soon, but I like that I'll be able to look back at week 1 from week 6 and see the difference. It will also help with the frustration and wanting to shave too.
[MENTION=73682]August West[/MENTION]

It is a bit ironic, but it's one of the best things about B&B; there's a free exchange of advice for just about anything, even if it's something contrary to the main topic of the forum. Besides, if there were no beards there would be no shaving. :straight:

@BadDad

Thanks for the tips, and you have an epic beard. I'll be a little less cautious and will tackle my neck line myself. One finger's width above my Adam's apple puts me two fingers' width below my jawline so It shouldn't be difficult for me to cup my chin and jaw as I go along. I'll start keeping a growth journal, too. I think it's a great idea and will help me be realistic about what I'm growing. I'm not expecting the beard of Zeus anytime soon, but I like that I'll be able to look back at week 1 from week 6 and see the difference. It will also help with the frustration and wanting to shave too.
@August West

It is a bit ironic, but it's one of the best things about B&B; there's a free exchange of advice for just about anything, even if it's something contrary to the main topic of the forum. Besides, if there were no beards there would be no shaving. :straight:

:thumbup1:

[MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION]
I already have a hard time not rubbing the stubble. The Wife has given me some looks haha. Hopefully there will be no devious plans hatched while a twirl my mustache later.
[MENTION=82237]Billy Goatee[/MENTION]
Good Lord, that's a mustache.

[MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION]
I already have a hard time not rubbing the stubble. The Wife has given me some looks haha. Hopefully there will be no devious plans hatched while a twirl my mustache later.

I think devious plans should be required, actually.

Congrats. It sounds like you are off to a good start. And if The Wife is on board, you've got the biggest part already tackled. :)

Hopefully your management is on board as well. It sounds like they aren't too excited about it. I would have given you advice to get started during some off/vacation time, but that ship has sailed. Regardless, enjoy it. I shape up my cheeks and neck line with the safety razor, so you don't have to give up your stuff just yet. AND, it will all last longer, so you may actually be able to save the money that you likely told yourself you were doing in the beginning. :)

Congrats. It sounds like you are off to a good start. And if The Wife is on board, you've got the biggest part already tackled. :)

Hopefully your management is on board as well. It sounds like they aren't too excited about it. I would have given you advice to get started during some off/vacation time, but that ship has sailed. Regardless, enjoy it. I shape up my cheeks and neck line with the safety razor, so you don't have to give up your stuff just yet. AND, it will all last longer, so you may actually be able to save the money that you likely told yourself you were doing in the beginning. :)

Guys in my department have been growing beards since the appearance standards were scrapped over this past summer, I waited over 6 months for the dust to settle. I'll keep my cheeks and neck lines groomed while it grows and will use beard oil, balm, and mustache wax to keep it all in check once I start getting length so I won't look scraggly. My direct supervisor doesn't care, and I don't see upper management very often so I can fly under the radar a little while I make it through the stubble stage to avoid problems.

Welcome to growing a beard from a fellow first time grower! If the wife likes it, then you will have no excuses to stop :001_smile. And since your company just changed the policy, that motivation should be enough to keep you going. Good luck, and post some pics if your progress if you're up to it.

Guys in my department have been growing beards since the appearance standards were scrapped over this past summer, I waited over 6 months for the dust to settle. I'll keep my cheeks and neck lines groomed while it grows and will use beard oil, balm, and mustache wax to keep it all in check once I start getting length so I won't look scraggly. My direct supervisor doesn't care, and I don't see upper management very often so I can fly under the radar a little while I make it through the stubble stage to avoid problems.

Read here:

Growing a beard

Don't get too crazy about cheeks and necklines to start with, let it fill in for a couple weeks before doing anything.

As mentioned on that site, alot of guys trim their necklines waaaay up at their jawline thinking it will give them a more defined, stronger jawline.....and it just doesn't....

My last beard but I can't remember how many weeks this was for me - at least 7. I do remember that I started trimming for the first time at around 4 weeks.

$IMG_2496.jpg

[MENTION=103939]NesOne[/MENTION]
The Wife is on board so far. Hopefully her and I both like it.
[MENTION=6128]Seraphim[/MENTION]
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read. The only work I have done is I cleaned up my neck line a little according to what BadDad said above, and I did that with some cheap trimmers that someone gave me a few years ago. It's not something I'm going to be adamant about maintaining anytime soon.

I had always heard it was colder weather in general that triggered faster hair growth, that increased hair growth was used by the body to defend against the cold.

I can understand the brushing daily, maybe it stimulates follicles or at least keeps the surface of the skin clear so follicles aren't being clogged, but what effect does trimming the ends have? It seems counter-intuitive.

Top Bottom