What's new

First barber shave: Awful

If you're ever in Indianapolis, go to Red's.

Well, at age 44 11/12, and after 5+ years of wet shaving, I decided to get a barber shave for myself. As it turns out, the barber shop more or less across the street from my apartment complex has two barbers who give shaves. At $18 I figured it was worth a shot but I didn't necessarily expect Trumper's or Farzad, but I figured what the hey. He started with two hot towels which was good, but it went downhill from there. I'm not sure he actually developed any lather at all. I'm pretty sure that he uses the Marvy soap. Honestly, my first DE shave was closer and with fewer nicks. Around my mouth and chin was almost entirely untouched, my neck and cheeks felt like it was, at most, a one WTG pass with a DE (he used a shavette of some sort) and I had no less than 5 nicks and weepers. And the razor burn. Well...

And not even the consolation of smelling like Clubman or Bay Rum! :mad3:

There are other places in town, so I will give them each a chance as I am able.

Cheers,
-Greg

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I think there are only two instances I will allow a barber to shave me anymore.

1) If I visit London and find myself at Truefitt and Hill or Trumpers. They may not even give a great shave, but hey...why not.

2) If I am every in Turkey or a surrounding area for a Turkish shave complete with the flaming cotton treatment. Heck, If I could find a proper Turkish shave anywhere stateside, I would do that as well.

in the shavewiki somewhere there is a list of barbershops who specialize in shaving.

Every time I see one of these threads I wish I could be in more places. There are a couple barbers on this forum and a few more on SRP, but there aren't nearly enough barbers who care enough to do a little research past the few hours of training from barber school.

Best thing I can recommend is to ask your barber a couple questions like does the ph of the lather make a difference? or have them play-by-play the process before you get the shave and see if it makes sense. ask what kind of shave lather they use. what is their opinion on preshave oil. Anyone who has shaved enough faces to be a "master" should have an opinion.

As for master barbers. In this state we only have one level of barbers. Anyone calling themselves "master" is just trying to sound cool. In some states master barbers are barbers that can also do salon services like dye,perms,nails,extensions, eyebrow waxing... In yet other places a master barber is someone who has had a license for a certain amount of time, usually 3-5 years. AFAIK there is no master program that would make a barber better at shaving.

In the US, unless you are in a big city, finding a decent barber for a shave is tough. I think there is an AOS two hours from me that MIGHT have a barber, otherwise, its about 4 hours to MPLS/ST. Paul.I think in some other countries, it might be easier. I got a pretty good shave in Istanbul for about 4 bucks by my hotel
I am not sure where in Iowa you are, but Troy at The Groom Room in Ames gives a really good shave. It is a special occasion deal for me, but it is a good experience in my opinion.

I lived near Rome, Italy for many years and never had a problem getting a great shave there. The problem started when I moved to the States (Boston). I gave up asking for a shave. I tried Floyd's recently (I know... What was I thinking, huh?) and I was lucky to walk out with the other half of my face. Just a horrible experience. I truly miss my barber in Rome.

My barber in South Central Missouri gave me a shavette shave a while back.... It was a poor decision considering that I'd had him cut my neck pretty bad before... BBS on the cheeks, but major razor burn on my jawline and neck with one heck of a cut below my Adam's apple... At least he gave me a discount.... :blink:

Top Bottom