What's new

First Badger Splurge: Tulip T3 Super or Chubby 1 Super

Tulip T3 vs Chubby 1

• Tulip T3

• Chubby 1

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello all, I've been using a Simpsons 46 Berkeley for the last 2+ years after shaving with a an art of shaving... travel brush... for the first year. Needless to say it was a huge step up. At the time I was trying to decide between it and a Duke 2, and even though I love my Berkeley, I think a Duke 2 in best would've made a better daily.

Now I'm ready to step up again and am looking for a Simpsons in super, as I don't always enjoy the mild scritch that the Berkeley's best hair gives off. I face lather exclusively and am looking to avoid going full fledged lather hog thus I have narrowed the list down to the CH1 and the T3, both in Super.

Help me decide/any other suggestions in the price range (including the T2 and T4, Dukes, etc.)

I don’t have a T3, but can heartily recommend the CH1 in super. I have found the CH1 in super, the Duke 3 in best, and the Classic 2 in best to all be great. The best in my Wee Scot is more scritchy and the Case I bought in best was too scritchy and I disposed of it and ended up with a Major in Super for travel. Long story short, my limited experience with Simpson super is great, and the best in the larger knots excellent with the smaller best knots more scritchy. I don’t believe Simpson’s will validate my experience.

One additional factor to keep in mind is that the Chubby handle is not tall and you may get some excess lather on your hand, not a big deal for me, but be aware of the short handle.

I’ve owned many Simpson brushes, but just now have one, the CH2 in “best”, form one of the “good” batches. Personally, I would opt for “other” and go with either a Shavemac 2-band silvertip (not the DO1) in a fan (24/48 is perfect!), a Paladin, or one of Rudy Vey’s new 2-band Manchurians. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Two excellent brushes IMO! The T3 would be a bit large for my tastes. The CH1 is about perfect for me (I face lather hard soaps and prefer smaller/medium sized brushes). YMMV for sure.

Just got a chance to check both out at Pasteurs. The jump in size from T2 to T3 and from CH1 to CH2 is huge. T2 and CH1 are both small brushes imo and the T3 and CH2 are both big brushes. Don't if this visit made my decision any easier but at least now I'm sure I've narrowed it down to the right 2 brushes.

Chubby 1.5 is really what I'm looking for. Or maybe a Duke 3 in super.

While I am ok with the Chubby 1, the handle feels a bit smallish and I have sold every example that I have owned. The business side of the Chubby is quite nice though, assuming one receives one of the "good" batches. The Tulip 3 is an excellent choice and I have owned a few and still have one 2-band Super, all ergonomically perfect for my hands. The knot on the Tulip won't be quite as dense as the Chubby, but isn't a slouch in that department either. The Chubby 2 is my favorite overall brush, of which I currently own five (three pre-Vulfix and two modern 2-band models). I also own two Chubby 3, but I find those to be just as oversized as the Chubby 1 is undersized.

While I am ok with the Chubby 1, the handle feels a bit smallish and I have sold every example that I have owned. The business side of the Chubby is quite nice though, assuming one receives one of the "good" batches. The Tulip 3 is an excellent choice and I have owned a few and still have one 2-band Super, all ergonomically perfect for my hands. The knot on the Tulip won't be quite as dense as the Chubby, but isn't a slouch in that department either. The Chubby 2 is my favorite overall brush, of which I currently own five (three pre-Vulfix and two modern 2-band models). I also own two Chubby 3, but I find those to be just as oversized as the Chubby 1 is undersized.

If I'm honest, the CH2 was the most impressive brush I saw today. But I don't think I can justify spending almost $300 on a brush so it probably have to be in best. Any experience with the CH2 in best? If you had to choose between the CH1 in super or the CH2 in best what would you go with?

If I'm honest, the CH2 was the most impressive brush I saw today. But I don't think I can justify spending almost $300 on a brush so it probably have to be in best. Any experience with the CH2 in best? If you had to choose between the CH1 in super or the CH2 in best what would you go with?
I would go for a chubby 2 in best. I would search for one with the finest tips possible and the fewest black hairs on the mix. This should be easy if buying in store or you could reach out to thesuperiorshave.com

However, if you are comfortable with the chubby 1 in hand the super badger, in general, will be softer than the best badger.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had a CH1. Not in super. I would also say the handle was too small for me to enjoy it.

I voted T3. I have a T2 which has a beautiful knot in super. I am surprised how small the T2 is though. Too small for me.

Simpsons has so many very nice brushes. If you're fond of the 46 then CH1 is probably going to be noticably bigger feeling on your face. The Persian Jar is available in Super. The PJ1 is very appealing. I have one in Best. One of my favorites. I imagine in super it's likely outstanding.

I'm a Chubby 1 Super user and I can't fault it. Lathers really well with any soap or creme, manages to be secure in hand even when the lather gets out of hand, face lathers with a tiny swipe of soap if required. Can't say the size of the handle has been a proem, though I have smallish hands.

I'm a Chubby 1 Super user and I can't fault it. Lathers really well with any soap or creme, manages to be secure in hand even when the lather gets out of hand, face lathers with a tiny swipe of soap if required. Can't say the size of the handle has been a proem, though I have smallish hands.

I've got chubby hands haha. I'm also sporting a goatee at the moment so I do have less real estate for a large brush to cover.

The Tulip 3 I saw today was nice in every way except I wasn't in love with the loft height.

The bigger brushes have a lot of visible appeal but the more I think about it, especially since I currently face lather exclusively with a berkeley, a smaller brush might be my best bet. Still very interested in all suggestions though.

I would go for a chubby 2 in best. I would search for one with the finest tips possible and the fewest black hairs on the mix. This should be easy if buying in store or you could reach out to thesuperiorshave.com

However, if you are comfortable with the chubby 1 in hand the super badger, in general, will be softer than the best badger.

I've warmed a bit to the idea of a Chubby 2 in best but I'd say, as long as it's not scritchier than my berkeley in best, that my biggest concern is all the lather hoginess. Do you find it to be a lather hog? Btw I've never 4 pass shaved and often just do 2 passes.

I've warmed a bit to the idea of a Chubby 2 in best but I'd say, as long as it's not scritchier than my berkeley in best, that my biggest concern is all the lather hoginess. Do you find it to be a lather hog? Btw I've never 4 pass shaved and often just do 2 passes.
I don't believe I've ever met a brush I would call a lather hog, the denser brushes just need more soap or cream to begin with. The chubby is definitely dense, which I prefer, and will hold enough lather for several passes.

Also a more general question; why does it seem the Tulip is among the red headed step children of the Simpson family. The Chubby and Duke are, of course, the first born twins and for good reason it seems. But then I see so much about the Classic, the 50s, the polo, the colonel, even the PJ I feel gets more attention.

Milk churns and keyholes are seemingly rare? But not Tulips, however they are hardly mentioned.

Super Chubby 1 on the way. Thank you all for the help

I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. BTW, I've never been disappointed with any Simpsons brush purchase I've ever made, and I have purchased 10 different models. The Chubby 1 is definitely one of their nicer offerings.

Top Bottom