What's new

First attempt with the straight razor.

Greetings all! All after months of being a chicken, I pulled the bandaid off and did my first straight razor shave today. No where near as nice as my barber, but then again it's the first time. Clearly I'm gong to need a lot of practice, and pointers. I kinda felt like an octopus on roller blades trying to figure out how to hold it, and how to get the different angles. I have a spot under my jaw on both sides (first picture) I can't quite figure out how to get at. Also took a nice slice out of the right check because I wasn't paying attention (second picture) .

While I'm not deterred, my alum block was not my friend today!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh. I should add I waited about 4 days to shave prior. , in hind sight, that probably wasn't great idea. Hahaha.

Congratulations! The first is the most difficult.

I have 8 SR shaves under my belt, and my advice is stick to with it You will make dramatic improvements with each progressive shave. It’s also normal to use a DE & straight at the beginning just slowly get used to it, use a little pressure and have fun.

Please get some polysporin on that cut. Is you tetanus up to date?

Don’t shave that area for a few days.

Lay blade flat on your face and raise slightly. Make every move intentional.

Lather needs to be well hydrated.

Don’t hesitate to clean up with a safety razor.

Congrats, you got the hardest shave behind you now!

Wet, slick, lather and short stokes will help. Try and keep the spine elevated about 1-2 spine widths. Shallow angle with no pressure. The first 30 shaves may not be very good. Last pass with a DE to cleanup if needed and progress will come.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hey, you have started the SR journey. I am still too chicken, plus I have no idea on how to sharpen one. It can only get better with practice. Well done on the first SR Shave.

Please get some polysporin on that cut. Is you tetanus up to date?

Don’t shave that area for a few days.

Lay blade flat on your face and raise slightly. Make every move intentional.

Lather needs to be well hydrated.

Don’t hesitate to clean up with a safety razor.
Oh yeah, it's up to date. I did go back after and finish up with my DE. I was watching some videos by Lynn Abrams (?), in which he suggested focusing one area until you get comfortable with it, like side burn to jaw line, then expanding to the next area. Might try that and see how that works.

Hey, you have started the SR journey. I am still too chicken, plus I have no idea on how to sharpen one. It can only get better with practice. Well done on the first SR Shave.
I think I have the stropping under control. I'm thinking of buying a few cheap gold dollar SR's to practice sharpening and honing so that if I screw it up I'm not out a bunch. The SR I used today is a Hart Steel 5/8 quarter hallow. Picked it up in January when Classic Shaving had a 1 day 50% same in them.

I think I have the stropping under control. I'm thinking of buying a few cheap gold dollar SR's to practice sharpening and honing so that if I screw it up I'm not out a bunch. The SR I used today is a Hart Steel 5/8 quarter hallow. Picked it up in January when Classic Shaving had a 1 day 50% same in them.

If you follow the method and use lapping film progression you will not damage a razor. Good 100 year old razors are available for less than $10. We will help. I honed my first razor with the help of @steveclarkus .

If you follow the method and use lapping film progression you will not damage a razor. Good 100 year old razors are available for less than $10. We will help. I honed my first razor with the help of @steveclarkus .
Didn't realize you could get them that low. Just got this on the bay for $7.99. I'm be checking in when I get it and ready to try and clean it up.
proxy.php

Congrats and keep at it as it only gets easier as you go.

I have a gottey much like yours and i do under there by raising my head up a bit to tighten the skin and shave down.....think of half on left/half on right and middle with dominant hand.....if you need more skin tension lift your head up to the opposite of the shave slightly and use you open hand to pull down the skin at the base of your neck. Once you get good at managing the razor you can shave up and over on your second pass.

Holding a razor is going to be your preference....i find it easier to only have my thumb and first finger on the tang but others probably have a thumb with 2 first fingers......what ever works for you.

Welcome aboard! This is a maddening hobby sometimes, and there will be bumps in the road. Nonetheless, you already have infinitely more straight razor shaving experience and knowledge than almost any man you will meet in meatspace. Just keep practicing, and it does get easier.

@Clayw, with today marking my 1 year anniversary shaving with straights, I am confident stating that your shave was a success, not just an attempt. Congratulations!

From my experience, far less than some but sufficient for me to feel proficient, straight shaving is 99.99% practice. Technique is everything (assuming decent fundamentals like prep, lather, post-shave care, etc.), and technique takes a while to develop. It's just you and the edge. By shave 30 it should feel more "normal", and by shave 100 you're "there" and wonder how else you could ever shave. (About two weeks ago I did a Father/Son First Traditional Shave with my old DE. Worst shave I've had in months and months because I've lost my DE touch. 'Course I didn't tell him that because it was his best shave ever.) It's all about developing the technique that works for you with the equipment at hand.

Good luck and best wishes for your continued success.

@Clayw, with today marking my 1 year anniversary shaving with straights, I am confident stating that your shave was a success, not just an attempt. Congratulations!

From my experience, far less than some but sufficient for me to feel proficient, straight shaving is 99.99% practice. Technique is everything (assuming decent fundamentals like prep, lather, post-shave care, etc.), and technique takes a while to develop. It's just you and the edge. By shave 30 it should feel more "normal", and by shave 100 you're "there" and wonder how else you could ever shave. (About two weeks ago I did a Father/Son First Traditional Shave with my old DE. Worst shave I've had in months and months because I've lost my DE touch. 'Course I didn't tell him that because it was his best shave ever.) It's all about developing the technique that works for you with the equipment at hand.

Good luck and best wishes for your continued success.

Interesting because I've discovered the SR has actually improved my SE and DE results. :)

I'm not going to dispute that possibility, it makes sense. Assuming that one has picked up their DE within the past 12 months ... I have not, and I could tell I have not.

I should have said that I've been using DE razors for my entire adult life. Can't imagine loosing the muscle memory in a year, but I suppose its possible.

Top Bottom