What's new

First attempt at scale making.

LRM_20180827_204704.jpg
I have looked at all of the wonderful scales on 'Straight for today' and decided to have a try at something.
I'm in the UK and we have a tool supplier called Axminster, on their website they sell Acrylic blanks for pen turning.
Some of them measure 150x20x20mm so I got to thinking they could be cut down to make scales. They come in everything from abstract patterns of all colours to imitation horn patterns and faux ivory.
Here are a few pics of my first attempt, made with basic tools like a hand held hacksaw and orbital sander, I do have a bench grinder with polishing wheels and compounds.
I pinned the scales without washers but I have to rehone the blade now as I took the edge off it before I started.

Attachments

• LRM_20180827_204721.jpg
    LRM_20180827_204721.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • LRM_20180827_204757.jpg
    LRM_20180827_204757.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • LRM_20180827_204814.jpg
    LRM_20180827_204814.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Hi migralda that has turned out well for a first attempt at making scales, I use a lot of places for getting stuff to make scales from book match wood to Acrylic Perspex Black horn and honey horn. The Acrylic I get in sheets of A4 size 3mm thick, I have never used pen blanks as to me they are not big enough.

As all scales are not the same size or shape and I also live in the UK....

Thanks Iceman..Yes some of the pen blanks are only 130mm long, as you say not big enough but some are 150mm which is just long enough.
At £3.40 it's quite cheap as you can get two sets of scales out each blank.

View attachment 907922 I have looked at all of the wonderful scales on 'Straight for today' and decided to have a try at something.
I'm in the UK and we have a tool supplier called Axminster, on their website they sell Acrylic blanks for pen turning.
Some of them measure 150x20x20mm so I got to thinking they could be cut down to make scales. They come in everything from abstract patterns of all colours to imitation horn patterns and faux ivory.
Here are a few pics of my first attempt, made with basic tools like a hand held hacksaw and orbital sander, I do have a bench grinder with polishing wheels and compounds.
I pinned the scales without washers but I have to rehone the blade now as I took the edge off it before I started.

Very nice!!

Top Bottom