What's new

First attempt at Restoration of the gold embossing on the blade's face.

Hi this is my first attempt, I managed to remove the oxide on the writing, now it should be polished but I still have to understand what can work on the gilding which is so delicate. Anyone else have experience with this?

Attachments

• 20220429_141120.jpg
    20220429_141120.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Masking it off is the only real way. If you can cover only the gold plating the etched part can take a bit more abuse with polish etc.
You may be able to clean it up a bit more with a cotton bud and soapy water but do small bits like under the "RM" in Filarmonica and see how you get on.
At least you don't have to worry about the edge too much as you'll have to take that down about 2mm anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I was referring more specifically to the polishing of the golden part more than anything else. I have had a chemical treatment but it is still not as shiny as I want.

If you polish the gold it will come off. Soap and water to clean the gold is about all you can do. But even then you will be taking away a layer.
I did a chemical treatment to get to remove the oxide; isopropyl alcohol and sodium bicarbonate. I assure you you can get a result even chemically not only with soap and water; naturally the initial situation was not the best.
The alcohol is thickened with bicarbonate and passed with a cotton swab. the result is not bad after all, it should be tested on a etching in better starting conditions.

I would listen to Alfredo (@Doc226) on this one:

About gold wash/plating.

About etching.

I should add that @Bevel really knows his stuff, too.

I would listen to Alfredo (@Doc226) on this one:

About gold wash/plating.

About etching.

I should add that @Bevel really knows his stuff, too.
Thanks for your suggestions! The method I used works however I wanted to share it with you :) I'm sorry that the photo does not convey much the idea.

Top Bottom