What's new

First attempt at brush restoration

Can't wait to share my next one. It's an old Solid Set that's been stripped to the wood and my oldest daughter (15yo) painted a design on it.

Currently letting the final coat of poly dry on it before I can reknot it and share.

I can already tell for many reasons it'll be a prized possession.

Now if I could just get my youngest (8yo) to finish deciding how she wants to paint the one I gave her to do.

I gave this brush its own thread

Best Brush Ever

PXL_20210207_194852180.jpg

Latest completed brushes. Think I'm gonna keep the ER 150P and sell the rest.

Rubberset 200-3 with 24mm Shave Forge Synthetic

Unknown with 20mm Shave Forge 2-Band

Ever Ready 750 butterscotch with 20mm Shave Forge Mixed

Erskine 100 with 20mm Shave Forge 2-Band

Ever Ready 150P with 20mm Shave Forge Mixed

PXL_20210207_195259612.jpg

Any thoughts of this becoming a money making venture are long faded

Of the 24 or so refurbished brushes I've sold I've only broken even or made money on about 6 - the others I took a loss on

Overall I'm not too disappointed - it's been fun doing this so as long as I'm not losing tons of money it's better than wasting it on something else

Plus I've gotten to keep some very nice brushes that would have cost me much more had I purchased them from someone else

And therein lies the money problem - all the really good ones I want to keep!

This one is almost ready for a knot. Going to add a coat of poly and touch up the edges of the black a bit.

Decided to go a little rouge on this one and painted it a bright color that will pop. Problem is now I sort of want to keep it. But will probably sell it.

PXL_20210211_194140242.NIGHT.jpg

This one I am going to keep - have a TGN Finest 18mm on the way - I don't have that particular knot yet.

I had planned to paint this one too but once I cleaned up the metal and washed the handle down a little I really liked the "patina" of the wood so I just put some poly on it.

PXL_20210211_194203490.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210213_160103542.jpg

Could have sworn I had a before picture of this Rubberset 400-3 but I can't find it.

Have a little more polishing to do but it turned out even better than my 400-4 (which I might go over again now that I've got a couple under my belt).

Latest group - I'm nearing the end of my stash (though I just bid on another online *facepalm*)

PXL_20210214_213035033.jpg

Made Rite 100 w/ SF 20mm 2-Band
Ever Ready 150C w/ SF 20mm Mixed
Strong Set w/ SF 20mm Synthetic
Rubberset 89 w/ SF 18mm Boar
Ever Ready F40 w/ SF 20mm Mixed
Ever Ready ?? w/ SF 20mm Synthetic

These will all be sold.

Have 9 more that have been deknotted, sanded, and polished and just need some silicone to create a base for the new knots. Is

I have one more knot on the way for the Rubberset wood handle I'm keeping and I have a left over 2-band knot and mixed knot that I'll eventually find brushes for...but my restoration for selling is over (for now).

Since I started I have reknotted (in this group of handles - I think there were like 3 lots) 60 brushes.

I'm keeping 11 and have either sold or am selling the rest.

Here are the final 9 (for now) - all that's left to do is put some wax on them and buff them out.

PXL_20210216_235605471.NIGHT.jpg

1) Ever Ready C40 w/ 20mm SF Mixed: Really like the way the mixed turned out - the darker hairs give it a more vintage look I think
2) Ever Ready 100T w/ 20mm SF Finest Badger: This one looks slightly nicer than the other
3) Rubberset 153 (w/o lettering) w/ 20mm SF Synthetic
4) Ever Ready 100T w/ 20mm Synthetic
5) Made Rite Sterilized w/ 20mm Maggard's Timberwolf Synthetic
6) Surrey w/ 20mm SF Synthetic
7) Klenzo B343 w/ 20mm SF Synthetic
8) Ever Ready 800PBT w/ SF 24mm Synthetic
9) Rubberset 153 w/ 20mm 2-Band Badger

*SF= Shave Forge

PXL_20220130_201916152.jpg

PXL_20220130_201920245.jpg

Didn't think about pictures until after I was done.

The top cap of this one was broken off, but fortunately the way it snapped allowed for a pretty good amount of contact for the epoxy.

No paint before and it really makes it pop.

Pretty rare brand so I'm excited and I love this style of brush.

Now just to get a knot for it. Thinking I'm gonna put a AP Shave faux horse that @Vulcan Bubbles recommended in it.

View attachment 1402119
View attachment 1402120

Didn't think about pictures until after I was done.

The top cap of this one was broken off, but fortunately the way it snapped allowed for a pretty good amount of contact for the epoxy.

No paint before and it really makes it pop.

Pretty rare brand so I'm excited and I love this style of brush.

Now just to get a knot for it. Thinking I'm gonna put a AP Shave faux horse that @Vulcan Bubbles recommended in it.
Very cool 😎
Hope you like that knot as much as I do. And I think it’ll look awesome in that handle 💈🖖🏼💈

Top Bottom