What's new

First ATG pass with a straight

Hi all,

I see that there are a number of people who are just starting out and are still trouble-shooting, so I just thought that I would post a positive update from someone who's only been at it a little longer.

I did my first ATG pass on my face today, and definitely got the closest I have ever gotten to BBS (definitely DFS on the straight planes of the cheeks and under the chin, with some difficulty on the edges as usual). I waited a little longer than most to try ATG, I think, but I am very glad that I did. I feel like my technique is pretty consistent now, and I was able to really judge my strokes and try different hand positions to get it right. I also followed the advice I found here to be sure that I never did a stroke without lather on the skin, and took a less aggressive angle to prevent digging into my face. I did not cut myself once, so I am very happy with my results. I am still a little squirrely in some risky spots, but I am sure that it will get better with more practice.

To the straight newbies, hang in there. I started out pretty intimidated, and now I feel much more confident in addition to getting much better results.

Matt

Congratulations Matt,

Like you I'm new comer to SE shaving.

Reading of your steady progress is indeed encouraging to the rest of us out here learning our way.

Thanks for taking the time to post your continuing success.

Regards: Buck47

As long you're always going vertically (XTG: horizontally) and keep the blade flat to your face, chances to cut yourself are minor.

Congrats on getting better and more skilled! :001_005: Don't we all like the magic moment when we realize we've learnt something completely new?

You said you took longer than most to go ATG; how long have you been straight shaving before you made the attempt?

I've got my first straight from Ambrose on order (content with my Merkur DE but excited to try something new!). I'm hoping I can learn quickly, but I definitely don't want to rush ATG.

DM,

I probably did 15 shaves before I went for ATG. I probably could have cut that by a little and still felt comfortable, but not by much. Being confident in your strokes is the best defense against injury, IMHO.

Ambrose honed the blade that I am currently using (after I dented the edge put on it by Lynn Abrams), so you should be set to go when it arrives. Since you have DE experience, I have no doubt that you will pick it up quickly. I went straight from Mach 3, so getting the right angle and maintaining it were my first challenges.

Good luck to you, and to all who are learning!

You said you took longer than most to go ATG; how long have you been straight shaving before you made the attempt?

I've got my first straight from Ambrose on order (content with my Merkur DE but excited to try something new!). I'm hoping I can learn quickly, but I definitely don't want to rush ATG.

I'm sort of bold, did my first and second straight razor shave within the last 24 hours and have done both across the grain and against the grain passes already. Was scared as hell but I did a lot of research and watched a bunch of videos on youtube. I was intimidated too but after watching so many others do it I suspected it could be done:wink:. That and wife is an EMT, so if worse came to worse I most likely wouldn't bleed to death.

I might not be the one to emulate though, do what feels comfortable and follow the advice of the majority here, start with the cheeks and do those till you feel comfortable than move on to trickier areas.

Good for you, citizensoldier (and thank you for serving)! Of course, I'll bet you're pretty comfortable with sharp objects.

Do you have a pretty light beard? When I am going ATG, I find that it is slower and the blade catches a little. I know I have to work on my technique, but I am impressed that you were able to go ATG so soon.

Ronin,
Thanks and your welcome. As for my facial hair typical Armenian/Mediterranean type facial hair, I can give myself a perfect BBS shave at 6a and have 5 o'clock shadow by 9a :mad: If I don't give myself a good prep it is like trying to cut a wire brush. But like I stated I might not be the one to emulate. I am willing to tolerate a fair amount of discomfort while learning and was certainly feeling the burn today. On the other hand the way I see it is you are going to make those passes eventually so might as well bite the bullet, do them carefully, and enjoy the burn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom