What's new

First album you ever bought?

I think I could beat anyone with embarrassing first album purchases: Air Supply Now and Forever, IIRC. Soon after I got the Rolling Stones, Boston, Kansas, Eagles and Dire Straights but I'll never live down that first one.:blushing:

You can’t unhear it. It’s probably playing in your head right now. Possible cure::behead:

My 19yo daughter loves that song, she was actually asking about it at Christmas because we used to play it in the car on the Have a Nice Day, 70s compilation CD, when she was young. She couldn't remember the name but as soon as she described it, yeah I had that flashback.

Where do I get one of those cures?

I had hoped I would never see (and then hear, in my head) a reference to Billy Don't Be a Hero.
OMG! My wife and I are of the same era and when our one-eyed cat, Leela, acts up, we sign that to her replacing "Billy" with "Leela." It's heard in our house about 3 times a week.
20171224_094316.jpg

I think I could beat anyone with embarrassing first album purchases...

Not so sure about that. Maybe not the first albums bought, but I had some embarrassing album purchases in my early teen years: like The First Family, a Kennedy spoof and Allen Sherman's, My Son The Nut with the song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. What can I say? Comedy albums were big in the late 50's and early 60's. Someone gave my mom and stepdad the album Knockers Up by Rusty Warren. Being good Catholics, they were offended by it, but I used to play it when they weren't home. Pretty risque for the time. Others I purchased, that people today might roll their eyes to, would be 2 or 3 Roger Miller albums. A guilty pleasure, I still enjoy today.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Flower Power at its zenith! I am not sure what to say about this one, and I think of myself as something of a Donovan fan, although I probably do not go all that deep. He was very prolific there for awhile. Did the young Ouch actually like the second disc?

Lord, kiss me once more
Fill me with song
Allah, kiss me once more
Why not?
Mad John's Escape, The Land of Doesn't Have To Be, great songs on that album.

Not so sure about that. Maybe not the first albums bought, but I had some embarrassing album purchases in my early teen years: like The First Family, a Kennedy spoof and Allen Sherman's, My Son The Nut with the song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. What can I say? Comedy albums were big in the late 50's and early 60's. Someone gave my mom and stepdad the album Knockers Up by Rusty Warren. Being good Catholics, they were offended by it, but I used to play it when they weren't home. Pretty risque for the time. Others I purchased, that people today might roll their eyes to, would be 2 or 3 Roger Miller albums. A guilty pleasure, I still enjoy today.

We had a lot of comedy albums (including First Family) but also Jonathan Winters, Bob Newhart, Mike Nichols and Elaine May, and of course Cosby. Most of those were picked up by my dad, rather than us brothers.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mmm. Some pretty bad trips down memory lane ... saw that Kennedy First Family at our house too.
(JFK accent on) "Tell him it's tomorrow."

Not even going there with "Billy," which makes "The Night Chicago Died" sound good.

Some saccharine songs like "Brandy" were all right; that one though .... uk.

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think I could beat anyone with embarrassing first album purchases: Air Supply Now and Forever, IIRC. Soon after I got the Rolling Stones, Boston, Kansas, Eagles and Dire Straights but I'll never live down that first one.:blushing:
How about this for embarrassing- I attended the concert that Michael Jackson did when he reunited with his brothers. To be fair, though, I saw the Who, Pink Floyd, and the Stones at the same stadium (Cleveland Muni)

How about this for embarrassing- I attended the concert that Michael Jackson did when he reunited with his brothers. To be fair, though, I saw the Who, Pink Floyd, and the Stones at the same stadium (Cleveland Muni)

That just might edge out Air Supply lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the Spice Girls (granted I was with my 12 year old daughter at the time).

one thing I miss about vinyl is the large artwork. My first rock/pop album had this on the inner sleeve (lyrics were on the other side).
zevoexcisl.jpg

Not so sure about that. Maybe not the first albums bought, but I had some embarrassing album purchases in my early teen years: like The First Family, a Kennedy spoof and Allen Sherman's, My Son The Nut with the song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. What can I say? Comedy albums were big in the late 50's and early 60's. Someone gave my mom and stepdad the album Knockers Up by Rusty Warren. Being good Catholics, they were offended by it, but I used to play it when they weren't home. Pretty risque for the time. Others I purchased, that people today might roll their eyes to, would be 2 or 3 Roger Miller albums. A guilty pleasure, I

I liked Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh lol and I liked Ray Stevens comedy songs as well. Never did buy any, however.

Why not?
Mad John's Escape, The Land of Doesn't Have To Be, great songs on that album.

No doubt re Mad John's Escape. I do not know The Land of Doesn't Have to Be, at least as well. (Love the drums in that. The recording quality is excellent. Supposedly Donovan managed most of the recording himself, although he gave credit to producer extraordinaire Mickie Most.)

Both of these cuts are from the first lp of the two lp set. The second lp was titled For the Little Ones or something to that effect and was said to be intended to be a children's album. Very acoustic. More like the original Donovan work musically, if not lyrically.

Interesting album. Certainly one of the first two lp box sets. A well-loved album. Highly influenced by the Maharishi, they say.

Donovan does not get sufficient credit. The whole package. Songwriter, singer, musician, studio master. No Donovan, no Cat Stevens, I would say. No Small Faces.

First album: David Bowie - Hunky Dory (on cassette).
proxy.php

I had just received a portable cassette played for Xmas 1971 so obviously needed something to play on it. Played that to death until...

First LP: was either David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
proxy.php

or Yes - Close To The Edge
proxy.php

I have a feeling Ziggy shaded Close To The Edge by a few weeks.

First 45: David Bowie - Life on Mars?
proxy.php

Was some time after Hunky Dory was released - maybe a year later.

Top Bottom