What's new

First 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts Today, March 14, 2022

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just found my in-laws are coming for a visit. I may not get to shoot until Sunday.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think this is going to be very instructive for me regarding proper stance and natural point of aim. Also dealing with cross eye dominance. Most of my pistol shooting is geared towards self-defense/practical shooting where stance is very fluid depending on the situation and shooting with both eyes open and shooting fast. The target that I shot yesterday was shot right-handed using my left eye, which causes me to have a slight bend in the wrist in order to bring the gun in line with my left eye. I'm going to try shooting right eyed so that my arm and wrist are as straight as possible in order to best use a natural point of aim. It will be interesting to see how this affects accuracy. I have to work on slowing down my shooting speed as well. When I shot my target yesterday, I shot 5 rounds, walked down to inspect the target, returned and shot another 5 rounds and still had over 6 min. left on the timer!

I think this is going to be very instructive for me regarding proper stance and natural point of aim. Also dealing with cross eye dominance. Most of my pistol shooting is geared towards self-defense/practical shooting where stance is very fluid depending on the situation and shooting with both eyes open and shooting fast. The target that I shot yesterday was shot right-handed using my left eye, which causes me to have a slight bend in the wrist in order to bring the gun in line with my left eye. I'm going to try shooting right eyed so that my arm and wrist are as straight as possible in order to best use a natural point of aim. It will be interesting to see how this affects accuracy. I have to work on slowing down my shooting speed as well. When I shot my target yesterday, I shot 5 rounds, walked down to inspect the target, returned and shot another 5 rounds and still had over 6 min. left on the timer!
You are right about stance, aiming and all the rest.

The hardest lesson for me to learn has been to do everything deliberately. Even the rapid fire shots are done in a tight cadence to evenly space them. The old timers that are teaching me continually talk about process. Doing exactly the same things, in the same order, in the same way, every single time.

After my first slow target I was asked. "How many times did you fire and know as soon as you let the trigger break you had rushed the shot? That was followed by, "How many times did you fire when you should have put the pistol at rest, waited a bit, and then brought it up again? I had almost 7 minutes on the clock and had thought there was almost no time left.

Remember, this humbling endeavor is supposed to be fun. It is addicting!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
F8EE0D50-78F5-460D-85FA-CF5A2F755240.jpeg
Not sure, why it's sideways. Another practice target, shooting Remington Target ammo. At least all shots are scoring kits, 73/100. Sorta slow fire, working on the position and using my non-dominant right eye. I hope things tighten up when I start shooting 50 ft. instead of 25yds.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
View attachment 1425299Not sure, why it's sideways. Another practice target, shooting Remington Target ammo. At least all shots are scoring kits, 73/100. Sorta slow fire, working on the position and using my non-dominant right eye. I hope things tighten up when I start shooting 50 ft. instead of 25yds.
I may have to shoot 51 foot. My range sets up in 1 yard increments.

I may have to shoot 51 foot. My range sets up in 1 yard increments.

Bob L.

Not a problem. The line is officially measured from a "your toe can't cross line" to your body can't touch the edge of the range stall's table. 1' doesn't make a bit of difference. If you want to be closer to 50' just edge your target up a bit if the range allows it.

Many of us are getting settled with the ins-and-outs of bullseye pistol shooting. I have a suggestion. If this suggestion doesn't appeal to you please say so.

Let's make this week's session a trial run.

• If you couldn't shoot all three targets at a single go... Shoot the missing targets and post the score by Sunday.
  • If you ordered targets but only received one of the two types. Shoot all three stages with that target, print the missing target's 50' version and guesstimate your score. The black bull is the same size on both targets.
  • If your range is still under construction... don't worry. When it is ready, shoot the missed sessions and I'll add your scores in. Just tell me the week that session should be applied to. Monday's date identifies each week.
  • Please don't rush into one-handed shooting if you've never done this seriously before. Shoot two-handed. You are not shooting against the members of this league. You are measuring personal progress.
  • Share your scores by Sunday afternoon, 2:00 pm, EST. I am not going to put them into the scoring sheet. But, you need a baseline that describes your start. I spend one practice session each week shooting one-handed. My local Bullseye League night is shot two-handed. I'll post both scores this evening.
If you had a great session and want to keep your score. Cool! If you have a total score during the 10 weeks we do this we'll swap that low score for higher one you shot this week.

I keep a notebook that describes each match, the number of shots fired, scores for each target, etc... Most precision shooters do the same. My notebook is a spreadsheet. Paper and writing sticks work well too.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I actually got the tape measure out and ran it across the yard. But it’s just a 30’ tape measure so I had to stretch it out, mark it, then walk 20 more ft. So I’m probably 50ish ft.

Here's the report the Bullseye phone app generated on tonight's session.
Session 20220317-1809
Date 3/17/2022
Time 6:09 PM
Description
Match 300 @ 50ft
Target Score Shots
Slow B2 66 10 9 9 7 7 6 6 6 6 M
Timed B3 83/2X X X 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7
Rapid B3 83/0X 10 10 9 8 8 8 8 8 7 7
Total 232/2X ✓
Notes: two-handed; the dropped shot was due to rushing a shot; there were some close-clustered groups on some of the targets; watch the grip: keep the tension high on the middle and ring fingers

I added the notes before I emailed the report to myself.

This is how to report this on Sunday.

3/17/2022
  • Total score: 232
  • Slow fire: 66
  • Timed fire: 83
  • Rapid fire: 83
  • Xs - 2
=================

This week I shot a one-handed practice session.

3/14/2022
  • Total score: 214
  • Slow fire: 66
  • Timed fire: 79
  • Rapid fire: 74
  • Xs - 3
This 3/14/2022 report doesn't show that my shots were scattered across all the target quadrants. There was no grouping. I did keep the pistol centered on the target. I did a decent job controlling my trigger. I did not have a steady arm. I'm adding arm curls and lots of pushups to my daily routine.

Time to call it a night. One of my Audubon friends called and invited me out to his club's outdoor range to play with plates and Tannerite targets. It's going to get close to 60 degrees here tomorrow! I need to catch some ZZZZs.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Totally agree with this week being a practice week. I will try to get in a three-target session on Sunday using the same 25 yd target at 25 yds. I'll switch to 50 ft when those targets arrive next week. I need a bit of exercising as well to develop some steadiness.

Top Bottom