What's new

First 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts Today, March 14, 2022

50ft! I can’t even see the target at 50 ft lol. Good luck hitting it
That could present a small problem. At 50' I can't see the holes in the target. It's always a surprise when I bring it back. The experienced shooters say I should know where the shot lands as soon as I touch off the round. I'm not there yet.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well if i had a better backstop It might be different. But then again, the target is the same no matter the backstop.

My target is not ideal I know. I’m aiming down. But until I can build a better one that’s what I got.
This is a photo 50ft away with my cell phone, not zoomed at all. The phone does make it look a bit further than it is.

4C711C33-8786-4FC3-A728-070B825D2492.jpeg

So here’s my targets. It took me 18 seconds to fire off 5 rounds on the 20sec timed. So I stopped at 2 targets for now. I’ll try the 3rd Rapid one next time. The revolver isn’t ideal for this I’m thinking. But I probably just need more practice. This is after all the very first time I tried Bullseye shooting.

904835F3-05CE-4287-A61F-1C4EE668BB21.jpeg

6DFC6D12-1934-41FE-B8F1-35CE48EE4FC9.jpeg

So my score today was 95 points, on 2 targets.

Forget about the timing when using a single action pistol. Try to achieve the following with a single action revolver.

Timed target - 10 to 20 seconds per shot

Rapid target - 5 to 15 seconds per shot

If you staple the target to a piece of cardboard you will get a better holes. Makes scoring a lot easier.

Jason pointed out something important.

His first set of bullseye shots were from a standing position at an on the ground target. That's a steep angle when we are taking about 50 feet. He puts lots of hits on the paper too!

One of the first things I was taught was to make sure the center of the bullseye was positioned as close to the the center of my barrel as possible. I took my stance and someone else positioned the cardboard carrier and the target in front of my barrel using different sized target hangers. This was done with an open breech and no one was in front of the barrel. My fingers stayed off the trigger too. :kyle1: The end result was I knew which size target hanger to use and where to staple the target on the cardboard.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Jason pointed out something important.

His first set of bullseye shots were from a standing position at an on the ground target. That's a steep angle when we are taking about 50 feet. He puts lots of hits on the paper too!

One of the first things I was taught was to make sure the center of the bullseye was positioned as close to the the center of my barrel as possible. I took my stance and someone else positioned the cardboard carrier and the target in front of my barrel using different sized target hangers. This was done with an open breech and no one was in front of the barrel. My fingers stayed off the trigger too. :kyle1: The end result was I knew which size target hanger to use and where to staple the target on the cardboard.
I’m looking on the net for ideas to build a backstop. Preferably something easily moveable.

My sons Mark IV is just sitting in the safe. He started trap league a month or so ago, so thats his shooting focus now. Might be time to lube it up and head to the range…

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I grew up in Ohio outside a little village called North Hampton. We moved to New Hampshire over 40 years ago.
Never been to OH, but I drove through it once on my way to NY. I’d love to check out NH during the fall. I hear it’s amazing.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My printer is down, and I have some 25 yd slow fire targets on hand. I've ordered the B2 and B3 targets, should get here next week. I hate shooting computer paper anyways. So, I did a little practice this AM on the 25 yd. target at a lasered 25 yds. I don't have the patience (yet) to take 10 min. for 10 shots for a proper slow fire. I pretty much shot it rapid fire, but I didn't time it. I tried it one handed, and the results were rather dismal. Out of a 10 round string I put seven into the black, but not in what could be called a group, the other three shots were on paper, one of which was outside the scoring rings. 69 points out of a possible 100.
As I was shooting at home, I shot my Ruger Mk III suppressed with the Burris FastFire II RDS and used CCI Pistol Match ammo. The FastFire rides a little high on the Ruger's pict. rail. Tandemkross makes a relatively low-profile mount for RDSs that I should pick up. I shot a couple more targets, but the results of each were more worser, so I didn't even bother to score them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
0398F4F6-00D3-4620-9003-6D7FC44FA91E.jpeg

For the "Pics or it didn't happen" crowd. The 10th shot (not necessarily in order) is at the very bottom left of center near the fine print. Oops, just noticed that I mis-scored the target, should be only 66/100. Maf is hard.

Last edited:
Nice!

One-handed is tough. That's a great first time round.

There's a reason the three targets need to be shot consecutively in a set order.

The timed target is toughest for beginners. One should take the entire ten minutes. Take a break between each round and never rush a shot.

The second target takes a steady hand with a superb grip.

Most shooters start feeling fatigue during the rapid round. This should be the lowest scoring round.

A full Bullseye Match is three, three target sessions. A perfect aggregate score would be 900 points. It has never been done in competition.

22 lr for the first set of 3 targets
Any centerline for the next three targets.
45s are used in the last set of three targets.

It's a long day when 50 to hundreds are competing.

Grouping shots is challenge 3.
Landing all shots on target with scorable hits is challenge 1.

All hits in the black is challenge 2. I'm working on this one and will be for a while.

I'm glad the rules have changed to allow 22lr only participants.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My printer is down, and I have some 25 yd slow fire targets on hand. I've ordered the B2 and B3 targets, should get here next week. I hate shooting computer paper anyways. So, I did a little practice this AM on the 25 yd. target at a lasered 25 yds. I don't have the patience (yet) to take 10 min. for 10 shots for a proper slow fire. I pretty much shot it rapid fire, but I didn't time it. I tried it one handed, and the results were rather dismal. Out of a 10 round string I put seven into the black, but not in what could be called a group, the other three shots were on paper, one of which was outside the scoring rings. 69 points out of a possible 100.
As I was shooting at home, I shot my Ruger Mk III suppressed with the Burris FastFire II RDS and used CCI Pistol Match ammo. The FastFire rides a little high on the Ruger's pict. rail. Tandemkross makes a relatively low-profile mount for RDSs that I should pick up. I shot a couple more targets, but the results of each were more worser, so I didn't even bother to score them.

Where did you order the targets from?

Nice!

One-handed is tough. That's a great first time round.

There's a reason the three targets need to be shot consecutively in a set order.

The timed target is toughest for beginners. One should take the entire ten minutes. Take a break between each round and never rush a shot.

The second target takes a steady hand with a superb grip.

Most shooters start feeling fatigue during the rapid round. This should be the lowest scoring round.

A full Bullseye Match is three, three target sessions. A perfect aggregate score would be 900 points. It has never been done in competition.

22 lr for the first set of 3 targets
Any centerline for the next three targets.
45s are used in the last set of three targets.

It's a long day when 50 to hundreds are competing.

Grouping shots is challenge 3.
Landing all shots on target with scorable hits is challenge 1.

All hits in the black is challenge 2. I'm working on this one and will be for a while.

I'm glad the rules have changed to allow 22lr only participants.
Love it when the spell checker thinks it knows what it is doing... "Centerline" should be "center fire".

Top Bottom