What's new

Firearms you regret selling.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ + 3! A 3 in. barrel also allows a full length ejector for more reliable case clearance from the cylinder that 2.5 in. guns don't have, hence the FBI models with 3 in. barrels. I'd really, really like to have one of those!

I still have my fathers old 16g Wingmaster.

My uncle shot his first deer with it, New Years Day 1965.

View attachment 1304226

I carried it on my last deer hunt. I still have his old wood dynamite case full of 16g shells too.

Late to the show, but is that photo actually from 1965?

Who took the picture? It's a stunning photograph, thanks for posting it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Late to the show, but is that photo actually from 1965?

Who took the picture? It's a stunning photograph, thanks for posting it.

Thanks and you're welcome!

Yeah, thats New Years Day 1965 in the old Dorchester Swamp about 15 minutes from London Ontario. North of Highway 401 and East of Highway 73. Going back to my great grandfather on my fathers side, they always had a deer hunt on New Years Day. It was a family tradition and took place in the same area every year.

Thats my father and his younger brother in the picture. I don't know who took that picture. I'll have to ask my uncle. Most likely, it was Ralph Malpage that took it. He was just starting to carve decoys around that time and they all duck and goose hunted together.

I have an old Canvasback decoy just like that in the link sitting beside my fridge in the kitchen as well as many others. This is, I think, the only Brant Goose he ever carved.

IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2737.jpg

He'd start with a block of Beech and a hatchet for the rough shape, then smaller and finer blades for smaller and finer work. 100% done by hand with no power tools and then painted by him by hand.

His old working decoys command high prices these days. He always used Beech wood with weighted keels so the decoys floated and moved like live birds. In those days they were market hunting and could sell the ducks for $1 a bird.

I also have my uncles old Remington 1100 that he shot for all those years market hunting. The magazine tube is colour cased from being shot until it got hot enough to colour the aluminum.

Memories are good to have.

Thanks and you're welcome!

Yeah, thats New Years Day 1965 in the old Dorchester Swamp about 15 minutes from London Ontario. North of Highway 401 and East of Highway 73. Going back to my great grandfather on my fathers side, they always had a deer hunt on New Years Day. It was a family tradition and took place in the same area every year.

Thats my father and his younger brother in the picture. I don't know who took that picture. I'll have to ask my uncle. Most likely, it was Ralph Malpage that took it. He was just starting to carve decoys around that time and they all duck and goose hunted together.

I have an old Canvasback decoy just like that in the link sitting beside my fridge in the kitchen as well as many others. This is, I think, the only Brant Goose he ever carved.

View attachment 1309725 View attachment 1309726

He'd start with a block of Beech and a hatchet for the rough shape, then smaller and finer blades for smaller and finer work. 100% done by hand with no power tools and then painted by him by hand.

His old working decoys command high prices these days. He always used Beech wood with weighted keels so the decoys floated and moved like live birds. In those days they were market hunting and could sell the ducks for $1 a bird.

I also have my uncles old Remington 1100 that he shot for all those years market hunting. The magazine tube is colour cased from being shot until it got hot enough to colour the aluminum.

Memories are good to have.

It's a great photo, I think I could smell it if that makes sense, the scent of gunpowder, blood, tobacco, and damp forests. The photographer did a great job, seems to capture a lot of things in a single photo.

In terms of how your uncle dresses, blue jeans, grey hoodie, looks like a brown corduroy jacket as well - things I have in my wardrobe which I was wearing from the 90's as a teenager, strange how fashion hasn't changed as much in certain occasions.

Thanks for the info about decoys, and the guns they'd have used.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's a great photo, I think I could smell it if that makes sense, the scent of gunpowder, blood, tobacco, and damp forests.

Every time I shave with CRS French Vetiver thats where I'm transported to, a deer hunt.

I wore the same type of "Hydro Parka", as they were called here, because the people working on the hydro lines in the winter wore them, my father had on in the picture into the 1990s. They had large easy to get your hand into front pockets. That was before the days of having to wear Blaze Orange.

Browning Buckmark. It was kind of a pain to clean but with the blue steel and wood grip, it was such a beautiful gun and such a joy to shoot.

Reactions: ctr
My first pistol! Definitely a pain the clean.
Yeah, I wasnt a fan of having to remove screws to take it apart and when it even says in the owner's manual to only fully disassemble it once a year, thats a problem.
I used to just use a bore snake to clean it, which isnt perfect but really is the best option, short of fully tearing it down.

Reactions: ctr

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have parted with many a firearm, but thankfully never because I needed to, but rather, because I wanted to ... in most every case, those sale $s turned into more desireable (to me) firearms & I can honestly say that I have zero regrets - none at all. I mean, they’re just objects, tools, whatever...

Some that come to mind:
- S&W Model 59 no-dash - my very first pistol, which after 30 years, recently found its way back to me.
- Colt Series 70 Gold Cup
- Colt SP1 AR-15
- Colt AR-15 Sporter
- Colt King Cobra
- S&W 29 & 629
- Sig P226 W. German 9mm
- S&W 686
- Gens-1, 2 & 3 Glock 20s
- Smith Corona 03-A3
- National Postal Meter & Underwood M-1 Carbines
- HK P7M8 Jubilee Anniversary Commemorative Edition

This hurts me, just looking at it...

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I am really stupid sometimes

Me too oc_in_fw! I'm getting ready to possibly seal a deal on my 8" Colt Python I bought as a kid in '81. The market around here (rust belt) is pretty soft for high end stuff like this. I've been trying move it off and on for years. I bet I get weepy if the time come to let it go. Had some memorable adventures's with it in the farm lands around my parents place. with itt my side/

Unfortunately, I can never bring myself to sell any. Same thing with cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I just can't ever do it. I have this S&W bodyguard I think of selling or trading in. I never shoot or carry it. I never even got around to sighting in the cool crimson trace in the years I have had it. Doesn't matter, every time I pull it out to look at it I'm like. "What a cool little gun" and it goes back in the safe.

During the oil collapse in the early 80s, in order to maintain my wife's eating habit.

Nickle S&W model 29 w presentation case
Colt Python
Ruger Mark 1 bull barrel 22
Ruger Super Blackhawk (10-1/2") w/Leupold 2X scope - stolen.
Marlin 30/30 lever
Ithica pump 12 gauge
Ruger 10/22
Remington 700 in 30/06
Savage match target 22

My original Ruger PC Carbine had to be sold, but I hear they've been reintroduced after some changes.

I gave my dad a Colt Python for his 60th birthday. I regret it because he thought everyone knew he preferred semi-autos.

Sold a Star BM 9 (it's a 1911 in every way, except it's a 9mm) to a buddy.

I gave away my German Makarov in mint condition. Perfect blueing, fresh factory sights, crisp trigger, and wonderful charcoal G-10 grips.
It was a wedding present for my soon-to-be brother in law, as he was drooling over my much more basic Makarov.

Barrett M107A1. Excellent weapon. But I had to either sell the fifty, or sell both cars to pay for the house loan.

I had every model of the Ruger P series. I especially loved the P-89 (9mm) and P-90 (.45ACP). I've sold them all except for a P-95 (polymer framed double stack 9mm).

Last edited:
Top Bottom