What's new

Firearms storage Issues

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Personally, as a pharmacist, and everything I have seen, all of that stuff scares the s@%t out of me. No way I am going to put any into my body! Another thing, about 55-60 years ago when the pheothiazines, thorazine, compazine, mellaril, hit the market and emptied the "insane asylums" the number of people with mental problems and running around on potent mind altering drugs has increased exponentially. I'm probably being politicaly and socially incorrect but think we need some mandatory birth control on those folks,
Lol. The pendulum always swings, doesn't it?

In the name of humanity we have endangered a lot of innocent humans.

I'm amazed at the number of drugs that I administered to the mentally ill a few years ago that were brand new, cost a small fortune, that the patient didn't want because of side effects......
That are NOW constantly being advertised on TV.

Tax dollars were paying for them, to the tune of $2000 to 4000 per month.

Now when I see the advertisements I think: were the mentally ill just lab rats?

What to do with the mentally ill has plagued mankind for thousands of years. Few today know what drastic measures were taken in this country regarding this in the early 20th century. See Buck vs. Bell.

We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the State for these lesser sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Unfortunately, that door was shut in 1965.

When I had kids I got a dog. I’m just not leaving a gun laying around with kids running about. I’d rather die than find out my kids were playing with my gun and killed something - in spite of how much training they’ve gotten - they are still kids and stupid/immature and I know better than to poke fate this way.

Anyway, back to the dog. It’s not a replacement, in a perfect world, the dog will give me enough advance warning, and enough time to arm myself. I guess I’m SOL if a friend or family member comes gunning for me which statistically, is actually likely.

If you’re on drugs that are making you see things or have panic attacks, perhaps treating yourself like a child is best practice. Put the gun away, and get a dog. Sometimes the time loading or just opening the safe to get a gun is all the time you need to note you’re freaking out, and shouldn’t be.

Its a thought.

...I guess I’m SOL if a friend or family member comes gunning for me which statistically, is actually likely...

Why is that? Do you owe them money? :D

Seriously, that is incorrect and another dogmatic "fact" spun by the antigunners. You are statistically much more likely to die in a hospital than at home for that regard.

Does anyone on here remember carrying your shotgun into skool for hunter's safety? Kids think I'm lying when I tell those stories.
When I was in High school kids would bring their shot guns on the school bus and then leave them in the office when they got to school and then go hunting right after the last bell and nobody had ever heard of a mass shooting.

FarmerTan

When I was in High school kids would bring their shot guns on the school bus and then leave them in the office when they got to school and then go hunting right after the last bell and nobody had ever heard of a mass shooting.
Amen.

I can remember that, graduated HS back in 63. That fall in college got on ROTC rifle team. We would go by armory under stadium, pick up rifle and ammo, walk outside down sidewalk and around to end of stadium seating where we had a small indoor range under the seating. No one thought anything about it. If inclined we could probably could not have done much with a heavy single shot target rifle, but never heard of any problems. We had a western day in college, most students and a lot of teachers dressed up, It was amazing the number of gun rigs worn that day, some even carried their lever action rifles, again nothing said, no problems.

It was different times, different attitudes and values.

FarmerTan

I can remember that, graduated HS back in 63. That fall in college got on ROTC rifle team. We would go by armory under stadium, pick up rifle and ammo, walk outside down sidewalk and around to end of stadium seating where we had a small indoor range under the seating. No one thought anything about it. If inclined we could probably could not have done much with a heavy single shot target rifle, but never heard of any problems. We had a western day in college, most students and a lot of teachers dressed up, It was amazing the number of gun rigs worn that day, some even carried their lever action rifles, again nothing said, no problems.

It was different times, different attitudes and values.
Last word says a lot.

I'm more worried about someone breaking into the house when I'm not home and stealing my handguns, so I keep the frames in a safe and barrels hidden elsewhere. The safe can be stolen or broken into, but frames and several thousand rounds of ammo, are useless without barrels. Admittedly, it's not ideal if needed for home defense, but I've got an alarm system and the guns are inoperable.

I'm more worried about someone breaking into the house when I'm not home and stealing my handguns, so I keep the frames in a safe and barrels hidden elsewhere. The safe can be stolen or broken into, but frames and several thousand rounds of ammo, are useless without barrels. Admittedly, it's not ideal if needed for home defense, but I've got an alarm system and the guns are inoperable.

I have a big safe but it is too full for all my firearms. Several of the less valuable, but still dear to me milsurp rifles, mostly Swiss and Swedes are stored outside the safe but the bolts are locked inside. I guess a dumb thief would take the rifle, but it would be basically useless to him, and unsaleable.

Ages ago before I had a gun safe and only had a few handguns I would put them in the oven when away from home. After all, how often would a burglar look in a stove? :shifty:

Disassembled, stored in a safe, ammunition separate and locked. I've got two dogs who are light sleepers, and keep a telecaster on a stand near the bed. Six pounds of swamp ash with a 30" hard maple "handle" should be enough to get a jump on any would-be intruders. And if I wake up in the middle of the night playing it, the only damage might be to my pride.

I keep mine in safes. I have a 3 button safe by the bed for a handgun or 2 and a wall lock in the closed for a shotgun. Always locked. I can grab them fast and I practice as well hoping muscle memory will help in the event I’d need a firearm. Trust my 10year old but not his friends.....

Top Bottom