What's new

Fire starters

Eagle scout here.
I used to love camping. We went to a renaissance fair once and those guys got me hooked on the char cloth and flint and steel. Sadly the Army took my joy away of camping. Something about living in the dirt for 28 days at a time and driving at night with no headlights did it for me.

If you can still find a pint sized solid metal paint can. You can make a lifetime of char cloth, just punch a hole in the lid with a nail and throw it in your fire until it stops smoking.

I bought a small piston but it’s not a good one. Mostly using flint and magnesium, I keep a Mess of Altoid and Thayer’s tins, and larger shoe polish or saddle soap tins for making char cloth.

I use an eight quart pot for making charcoal and if there is any decent deadfall to be used, I’ll make some whenever there is a patio burn going.

There are still a couple 54 oz jars of char-cloth around here from a large cotton blanket that was worn threadbare in spots. I’d made a few jars for friends one Christmas with tins included for making more. These, among other smaller paks and different types tinder and starters. Wax soaked hemp litter, fat wood, etc.

I’d like to craft a bow and pump drill this summer.

Top Bottom