What's new

Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant build.

Hello all,

I recently came into possession of a M39, and an even older Civil Guard SK stamped Nagant. The stock for both are pretty rough. Both have multiple cracks, and one looks like it has been Bondo'd back together. The rifle that is in the best condition is the M39. It is stamped 1939. The other one doesnt have a date stamp but bears the marking of one of the gGermancompanies that built new barrels for the Civil Guard. I havent done much research on it yet.

I want to bring the M39 back to its former glory. I can get a decent stock off of Ebay and other places, but I was considering going with a new composite, But I am on the fence about that.

The Barrel is in pretty good shape, the lands and grooves are in good shape. I still have a lot of cleaning to do, it ha cosmolean all in it. Ill get some pics up when I get home.

What are your thoughts on the best way to bring this old warrior back from the grave?

Here are a few pics of it.

No love for the old Long guns?

Oh no, I think there's love here, at least from me! See my post on working some loads for the M44. I don't have much to offer on the topic of a rebuild - I've just not ever done that. I think I'd lean toward using an original stock, but I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Of course saying this, I put a scope on my M44 (but no drilling or permanent modifications required for that) :). If it's something you plan to shoot a lot, or take out and use hunting, etc, a new synthetic might be the way to go. That would also likely have a rubber buttpad on it which will help save your shoulder a bit. Shooting my M44 gets somewhat unpleasant after a few rounds with that metal buttplate. If it's a gun you'll just shoot occasionally, and mostly look at, I'd go with an original stock.

How are the sights? A couple of M44's I've seen have had some issues with the front sight being loose (the bead itself loose in the dovetail). Do you plan to just keep using the irons?

Personally I love the Nagant. I haven't gotten around to getting one yet, but I use my friend's every time we go to the range.

Oh no, I think there's love here, at least from me! See my post on working some loads for the M44. I don't have much to offer on the topic of a rebuild - I've just not ever done that. I think I'd lean toward using an original stock, but I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Of course saying this, I put a scope on my M44 (but no drilling or permanent modifications required for that) :). If it's something you plan to shoot a lot, or take out and use hunting, etc, a new synthetic might be the way to go. That would also likely have a rubber buttpad on it which will help save your shoulder a bit. Shooting my M44 gets somewhat unpleasant after a few rounds with that metal buttplate. If it's a gun you'll just shoot occasionally, and mostly look at, I'd go with an original stock.

How are the sights? A couple of M44's I've seen have had some issues with the front sight being loose (the bead itself loose in the dovetail). Do you plan to just keep using the irons?

Personally I love the Nagant. I haven't gotten around to getting one yet, but I use my friend's every time we go to the range.

Awesome!

The sights on this one are just fine. I need to clean the bore some more, I am still trying to get 50 years of gunk out of it. I did an overnight soak in Winshester Break free CLP, and you wouldnt believe the gunk I dumped out lol.

As for the stock, I really like the way it looks in its factory stock, but I want this to be an target rifle and I want it to double as my go to hunter as well. I am looking at something like the Monte Carlo stock.

Seen Here:
Advanced Technology Intl MosinNagant 7.62x54R MontCrlo Stk MOI0300

However,

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the ArchAngel Stock put out by promag.

Seen Here:

Archangel OPFOR Adjustable Stock M-1891 Mosin-Nagant Polymer 10-Round

I really like the idea of having 10 round drop mags.

Besides that I am going to get the bore recrowned. I am having the Drop in Timney Trigger installed. I may remove the front site if it gets in the way of my scope.

I am looking at getting the Brass Stacker Anchor scope mount. and a decent Lon Eye relief Scope.

I want to keep the straight bolt. I think that is one of the most noticable features that makes a mosin a mosin. You see one with a bent bolt, and most people are like well it could be a mosin, but when you see that straight bolt, there is no doubt.

The only other think I intend to do is get the barrel bolt and manual safety coated in cerakote.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One way or another, save it. The Queen of Mosins!

Of course, I have a B-barrel (plum) in a brand-new arctic birch stock. Can't tell you how it shoots; can't bring myself to take that armorer's hang tag off it ...

AA :a41:

My M39 has a sewer pipe for a bore and doesn't shoot the best but I still love its looks. The M39 is the best of the Mosins in my opinion, followed closely by the Finn M28.

Im still on the fence on the Stock. I ordered my Scout scope rail, Scope, trigger. Im waiting to hear back from my smith on getting the work done.

I have completely destroyed my bore brushed so I am going to pick up some more and some hoppes number 9. I just about have the bore cleaned up and it is looking much better.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do have the ATI stock; nothing wrong with it. Mine's on an unimportant M44, though. Unsure how it'd look on the larger and better M39.

The arctic birch is such beautiful wood, especially if you have a matching Finn puuko, for example. :a43:

There is a Finn M39 bayonet repro for it; the actual bayos are rare- they preferred their puukos.

AA

I do have the ATI stock; nothing wrong with it. Mine's on an unimportant M44, though. Unsure how it'd look on the larger and better M39.

The arctic birch is such beautiful wood, especially if you have a matching Finn puuko, for example. :a43:

There is a Finn M39 bayonet repro for it; the actual bayos are rare- they preferred their puukos.

AA

Yea, I am still on the fence. I want to be able to have fun with this on the range. Take it hunting, and generally use it alot.

I wouldn't spend any money trying to build a Moisin into something else.

Too Each their on I guess. I think fixing the M39 up is doing it a greater service than leaving it in the closet to rust away. As it stands it is unusable in its current condition, the stock will shatter on first round.

I think the rifle was meant to be used, so I should use it.

I am still working on getting this one cleaned up. The barrel is dark, but I can see some very nice grooves. What would you all suggest to use to get it really cleaned up and shiny?

Top Bottom