What's new

Finishing

Well, considering that my two Dovos and one Ralph Aust were brand new when acquired, I’m betting the bevels were properly set. Two came shave ready from a reputable source and Sfaile honed the one from the factory, so I know its bevel is set and the others should be.
Well - considering that I've never seen a factory bevel that I'd say was set-correctly, I would hesitate to assume anything of the sort. But that's me. Someone else might see things differently. As they say, YMMV.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks. I just have 3 razors in rotation, so I’ll try the lather trick. I find it intriguing to hold the stone in hand, especially since it’s fairly thin. Maybe I should palm it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could make a stone holder. Just take a piece of 1x6 and router out a pocket for the stone, about 5/16" deep, then trim the outer dimensions. Or build a box. Me, I just hold the naked stone. There are also stone holders that some guys use.

You could make a stone holder. Just take a piece of 1x6 and router out a pocket for the stone, about 5/16" deep, then trim the outer dimensions. Or build a box. Me, I just hold the naked stone. There are also stone holders that some guys use.

I do have a holder. I was thinking you preferred hand holding for a lighter touch.

Well - considering that I've never seen a factory bevel that I'd say was set-correctly, I would hesitate to assume anything of the sort. But that's me. Someone else might see things differently. As they say, YMMV.

None of them have been honed by honemeisters. So I assume that they liked the bevels. They shave comfortably and smoothly. Closeness is probably my issue.

I don’t do the wet thumbnail test, but arm hairs and tomatoes do just fine. Actually I do one with the grain pass and finish with a DE, until I’m accomplished.

My straights are very comfortable, but I’m not as close as I get with a DE. So I wonder whether it’s me or the edge’s finish.

Takes a while to get very proficient with a straight. You get used to what you use. I used to use a de. I shaved it once last year after a long time away and got a subpar shave. It wasn't the razor or the blade. It was me. The more you use it the easier and better at it you become.

Takes a while to get very proficient with a straight. You get used to what you use. I used to use a de. I shaved it once last year after a long time away and got a subpar shave. It wasn't the razor or the blade. It was me. The more you use it the easier and better at it you become.

Interesting, that going back to a DE gave you that experience. Though I’ll admit, after not using a Feather blade for a couple months, i was too cavalier when I went back to one.

When I figure out how to shave my chin without cutting it, I’ll be on my way with the straight. I’m also trying to figure out how to do a XTG with a straight without cutting my face...LOL.

One thing to remember though is before 1904 there was only one way to shave. And everyone used a straight. It can be done. Lot of guys have a hard time and give up. Imo I don't see a better way to do it. Lots of guys agree with me. Like anything else you get out what you put in. Couple months you will be an ace .I almost packed it in. But I'm glad I did not.

One thing to remember though is before 1904 there was only one way to shave. And everyone used a straight. It can be done. Lot of guys have a hard time and give up. Imo I don't see a better way to do it. Lots of guys agree with me. Like anything else you get out what you put in. Couple months you will be an ace .I almost packed it in. But I'm glad I did not.

I’m in for the long haul. I perform my first pass on weekends with a straight, when I can take my time. I can do that without nicks and get reasonably close except for the chin. Practice makes perfect.

So the razor is honed correctly but it is comfortably not removing whiskers?

Just on my chin, mainly. I’m still finding my legs and want to be able to maintain the edge. After these conversations, I’m going to work on my technique, the more probable issue.

I started shaving again after 7 years with a beard in August last year, so in this endeavor almost a year now. I started out with a 5/8" Dovo best, and although I believe it to be a decent razor with none of the problems these suffer from, my intuitive side told me there was something better to suit me. I purchased a new razor from Brian Brown in 6/8" around Christmas last year, and prefer it in every way over the Dovo. I picked up one coticule, which I believe to be a great finisher, and followed the advice of learning that stone, rather than trying every other thing coming down the pike.

Simply put, I now use one razor, one stone, one TM strop, and now after a year with the straight, I get fantastic shaves every time out, and it is due to learning technique that works for you, learning the strop, and knowing your hone.

I started shaving again after 7 years with a beard in August last year, so in this endeavor almost a year now. I started out with a 5/8" Dovo best, and although I believe it to be a decent razor with none of the problems these suffer from, my intuitive side told me there was something better to suit me. I purchased a new razor from Brian Brown in 6/8" around Christmas last year, and prefer it in every way over the Dovo. I picked up one coticule, which I believe to be a great finisher, and followed the advice of learning that stone, rather than trying every other thing coming down the pike.

Simply put, I now use one razor, one stone, one TM strop, and now after a year with the straight, I get fantastic shaves every time out, and it is due to learning technique that works for you, learning the strop, and knowing your hone.

That’s what I’m hoping. My first and the one I’m using is a Dovo 5/8 Olive and it’s OK as far as my inexperience can tell.

My second is a Dovo Bismarck 2 used once. It will get more use soon.

I just picked up a Ralph Aust and it just feels different, perhaps more heft, and I like that. It’s likely to get a test spin tomorrow.

I’m going to try the Naniwa 12K, as it feels like an old barber home I have which is unfortunately chipped. Coticule or a Jnat might be on the horizon.

Wade in brother is my best advice. Lapping film is cheap and easy. I'm a jnat user personally but the easiest path imo is your best way in. There will be plenty of time later for other stones. Once you nail the film edge you can try anything and everything. And maybe you should! Lol. I know I did. Jmo.

Wade in brother is my best advice. Lapping film is cheap and easy. I'm a jnat user personally but the easiest path imo is your best way in. There will be plenty of time later for other stones. Once you nail the film edge you can try anything and everything. And maybe you should! Lol. I know I did. Jmo.

LOL. That’s where I’m headed, I’m sure.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
LOL. That’s where I’m headed, I’m sure.

Interesting thread. Any progress on the chin? I believe this is everyone’s problem
area. I just quit worrying about it and it just worked out. I’m still less than 60 shaves in but I shave every morning and I get consistently good shaves. Finally quit introverting into each shave and did my passes and accepted what I got and that improved my shaves more than anything. As to stones, I bought a Nani 12k just before getting into lapping film and probably used it only three times. Turned out to be a waste of money. Film is so much easier and NO LAPPING. I set bevels on 30u and finish with .1u diamond paste (200,000 grit) on balsa. I don’t believe I could tolerate a shave on a coti finisher now. I have no expectations of ever buying another stone. I would rather spend the money on razors.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You will probably sooner or later get the bug to try a coti or Jnat. Its okay. No need to feel like a traitor to the cause. Your sure, cheap, and consistent lapping film will still be there waiting for the rock madness to fade away.

Interesting thread. Any progress on the chin? I believe this is everyone’s problem
area. I just quit worrying about it and it just worked out. I’m still less than 60 shaves in but I shave every morning and I get consistently good shaves. Finally quit introverting into each shave and did my passes and accepted what I got and that improved my shaves more than anything. As to stones, I bought a Nani 12k just before getting into lapping film and probably used it only three times. Turned out to be a waste of money. Film is so much easier and NO LAPPING. I set bevels on 30u and finish with .1u diamond paste (200,000 grit) on balsa. I don’t believe I could tolerate a shave on a coti finisher now. I have no expectations of ever buying another stone. I would rather spend the money on razors.

My chin is starting to get better and the rest of my face is getting a whole lot closer, now that I focus on scraping the lather away and not the whiskers.

What is strange is that I finish my XTG and ATG with a DE, but the shave is amazingly closer than with a DE for all three passes.

I am thinking of film next or chromium oxide. Film sounds better. Ultimately, I was thinking of using the Naniwa 12K like a barber’s home. It would be a quick way to dress the blade.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My chin is starting to get better and the rest of my face is getting a whole lot closer, now that I focus on scraping the lather away and not the whiskers.

What is strange is that I finish my XTG and ATG with a DE, but the shave is amazingly closer than with a DE for all three passes.

I am thinking of film next or chromium oxide. Film sounds better. Ultimately, I was thinking of using the Naniwa 12K like a barber’s home. It would be a quick way to dress the blade.

Read @Slash McCoy thread “Newbies Honing Compendium “ and all your questions will be answered. I use this method exactly from A to Z and get perfectly repeatable results. The instructions should/must be followed as precisely as a cooking recipe. I have only found two downsides: 1. You will never have to hone the razor again and will have to buy more to have something to hone. (My solution to this has been to buy bunches of GD66’s directly from China). 2. You won’t be able to participate in all the threads on honing stones (coties, from what I’ve read have a grit equivalent of +/- 8k & I prefer 200,000k).
Two problems I’ve identified in my shaving are too much pressure and blade angle and that is what I’m paying attention to now. I’m certain I have a sharp razor so any problem must be my own doing and therefore correctable by tweaking the way I shave bit not overthink it - it is just shaving after all. It helps to do it every day. If you don’t have time in the morning see if you can get away with shaving before bed. Also, start doing your whole face and accepting what you get. Don’t expect DE quality right off. You got good results with a DE Because you knew how to use a DE. The hardest part is the chin anyway and you are having success there already. Just start doing the rest of your face. I’m finding less pressure and maintaining a narrower blade angle beneficial. Too wide an angle and you arejust scraping your face. Narrow cuts the whiskers and doesn’t scrape your skin. These are just my observations and everyone’s Face ID different and it is your face you have to learn to shave and you have to let it be the ultimate guide. I’m sure you, with patience, figure it out soon. :001_smile

Top Bottom