What's new

Finishing stone

I’ll be honest with you. If you don’t like Naniwa 12 K shave, the only synthetics I’ve heard of people preferring to it is the Goku 20 K. And personally they felt about the same to me. The Naniwa is plenty sharp and Good enough quality. I wouldn’t bother upgrading from it to another synthetic stone, I would try a natural or an abrasive pasted strop if you are looking for a change.

+1 on what was said. If you can get s good shave off the 12k but don’t like the face feel maybe try a natural to smooth out the edge afterwards?

Black arks are a good choice. The only problem is they can be unforgiving. So if your honing is not up to par or the bevel isn’t set the ark won’t be as useful.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
From the 12k Naniwa, you can go to .5u, .25u, and finally .1u diamond pastes on lapped balsa strops and end up with an edge that feels rather nice on the face but is also probably sharper than any straight razor edge you have ever shaved with. "Can", not "Will". I am talking about the optimized methods found in the Newbie Honing Compendium sticky, AKA "The Method".

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like the natural stones - Norton Translucent Ark, Hard Black Ark, Double Convex Ark, Zulu Grey, coticule - but there are other options.

12-28-18.Red&Black.Paste.Dovo.Stangen-Pasta.640.JPG

One that's helpful to me sometimes is pasted strops. I use three - CrOx, Red, Black - in that order. Look for a very good quality CrOx.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Shapton 15k and a Naniwa 10k. There is a slight difference between the 2, the Shapton being thinner (0.9 vs 1.2 microns).
That puts it in the ballpark of the 12K.

Now I also have the Shapton 12K which is basically similar in grain to the Naniwa 10K, but I tend to prefer the feel of the Naniwa. This would tend to indicate that the Naniwa 12K might be prefereable to the Shapton 15K.

I’ll be honest with you. If you don’t like Naniwa 12 K shave, the only synthetics I’ve heard of people preferring to it is the Goku 20 K. And personally they felt about the same to me. The Naniwa is plenty sharp and Good enough quality. I wouldn’t bother upgrading from it to another synthetic stone, I would try a natural or an abrasive pasted strop if you are looking for a change.

True, I have Suehiro Gokumyo 20k for this reason, I heard it's comparable to the Shapton 30k. I use my 20k stone because I have extremely heavy beard an need a really sharp edge.

You’ve got plenty of keen already, your issue is with the qualitative edge properties. A finer synthetic stone will basically just give you a bump up in keen and a bump down in whatever feeling it is you don’t like, but it’ll still clearly be an edge in the same family.

Go natural or pasted to really mix it up. I’ll toss my vote in with all the hard Arkansas fans- that’s the most keen and forgiving edge for the money by far.

The Gok. 20k leaves a much nicer feeling edge than a 12k Naniwa IMO.
It is very gentle on the face and very keen. The Best synthetic made IMO.

Gokumyo 20k is very good after 12k naniwa. I think instead of Shapton 15k you can up the ante by honing on lather on 12k.

Tomonagura made a review of the gokumyo 20k, and he came to the conclusion that it was a very nice feeling edge, but not nearly as comfortable or keen as a jnat finish and nearly unusable to use slurry on, only ended in microshipping. What improved the feeling even more was running it on a nagura progression. Could be biased I know, but I have a shapton glass set and a few jnats and a black ark, I rarely ever go over 4k on my shaptons now because a natural edge from jnats or a black ark finish is just too desirable to pass up.
I haven't used the gokumyo 20k, but the review kinda confirmed what's running through my mind.
Considering the price for the gokumyo aswell I say a black ark is a safe bet.

I love suehiro/imanishi Stones as much as anyone, but my razors aren’t where I end up using them because they just aren’t the best tool for the job or for the money.

For that money knowing what I know now, I’d be looking at either Ark finishers, known good Coticule/Les lat hybrid, or vintage thuringians.

*edit I don’t own one and never used one, but Pierre la lune stones seem stupid cheap right now for what they are.

Last edited:
Well of the two that just sold, one was labeled as being made of Silicon Carbide. I'm sure some of the questions around that hurt bidding. They still seem to fetch around 100$ each typically from what I've seen.

I've got three here, and frankly, they're not great. Not terrible, either. I'd take a vintage coticule over one 100% of the time, and coticules are cheaper.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well of the two that just sold, one was labeled as being made of Silicon Carbide. I'm sure some of the questions around that hurt bidding. They still seem to fetch around 100$ each typically from what I've seen.

I've got three here, and frankly, they're not great. Not terrible, either. I'd take a vintage coticule over one 100% of the time, and coticules are cheaper.

Thanks. I'll not run buy one. Also, I read Keith's review of his and wasn't entire blown away by the stone.

Top Bottom