What's new

Finishing a Hatch Box Wood Filament handle

I received a nice little brush handle from Mr Bingle this year, 3D printed with Hatch Box Wood Filament. I am ready to finish it, so I will be sanding it down and staining it emerald green using some Minwax Express Color Wiping stain. Might be a stupid question, but will I need to apply some kind of clear coat, since the stain is water based? What clear coat should I choose? And advice is appreciated.

I use MinWax water based polyurethane. It makes a hard lustrous finish and the brush paint brush cleans up with water.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would think a water based polyurethane would work. I have recently used a water based polyurethane on a second hand wooden kitchen bench top (counter top) with great results.

If you have no way to spin the handle on a lathe I would go with wipe on polyurethane. If you really want an ultimate shine, use spray on pre catalyzed lacquer. Lacquer will take a lot more work if you do it the way it’s meant to be done but the results are spectacular. It also has the advantage of one coat burning into the previous coats. In other words, if it gets scratched it can be made to look like new again. Poly doesn’t like to stick to itself without sanding first so repairing dings can be a bit more problematic.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I received a nice little brush handle from Mr Bingle this year, 3D printed with Hatch Box Wood Filament. I am ready to finish it, so I will be sanding it down and staining it emerald green using some Minwax Express Color Wiping stain. Might be a stupid question, but will I need to apply some kind of clear coat, since the stain is water based? What clear coat should I choose? And advice is appreciated.
I would go with the Lacquer. Very Nice deep shine it gives !
If you have no way to spin the handle on a lathe I would go with wipe on polyurethane. If you really want an ultimate shine, use spray on pre catalyzed lacquer. Lacquer will take a lot more work if you do it the way it’s meant to be done but the results are spectacular. It also has the advantage of one coat burning into the previous coats. In other words, if it gets scratched it can be made to look like new again. Poly doesn’t like to stick to itself without sanding first so repairing dings can be a bit more problematic.

Top Bottom