What's new

Finished MdC: data

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Possibly pertinent information:

$48 purchase price includes shipping, but I ordered two jars. They threw in a bar of bath soap (pretty darn nice stuff at that).

Three pass shave always includes enough lather left over for another pass or so. I believe this is the norm, and while it might be possible to use less soap I can't imagine anyone trying to be that precise (or caring that much). Lather down the drain post shave is something I consider the price of the process.

I didn't put the lid back on the jar - ever. On the last puck I replaced the lid before the soap dried and I found it softened the soap a bit. This time I found leaving it opened (I used it every day I was home with the exception of two weeks on a new soap trial) actually dried it quite a bit in the end. It worked just as well, but took a little longer to load.

380 3 pass shaves.

At $48 I have that as 12 1/2 cents a shave (or around 4 cents a pass, if you like). I offer this as a price comparison. I suspect many of you have no idea how many shaves you get from a puck as you usually have 8-10 in your rotation. But if you have an idea - and you care - this gives you an idea of how MdC actually compares money-wise. While price is not my first consideration, it is a consideration.

I strongly suspect that $48 a year (essentially) is probably pretty close to the average soap cost around here (with the exception of the $5 soap users - my wife is frugal, so no offense intended).

With creams I found that the "expensive" stuff really wasn't so expensive. Castle Forbes cost me less than half a penny a day more than Proraso in actual use. Now I'm finding the same thing in soaps. ABC and MdC are initially expensive, but in actual use don't seem to be much more than the average soaps.

Soap quality is certainly subjective. I get a daily BBS with many soaps, as do many of you. But MdC gives me significantly fewer weepers - three times less - than the others. Post shave is fine, but I use a balm so that might be less of a consideration for me. I also get unscented when possible, so that is obviously not a consideration for me either.

Thanks for the info. I'm not at all surprised about the per-shave value of MdC. I've got some in my queue, but haven't done more than a sample shave or two.

I'm slowly gathering data related to various soaps. Most of my data so far consists of samples (which I suspect uses more soap per shave than a full puck). So far, most of them are more than $0.125 per shave, with a few exceptions. My costs are running from $0.06/shave for Mike's to $0.24/shave for Wholly Kaw King of Oud.

Interesting. I have noticed that the newer artisan soft soaps are being consumed at a faster rate.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for the data :thumbup1:

I'm one of the frugal ones that would never pay that much for a soap. For $48 (£34) I could buy 4 Mitchells plus 4 Palmolive sticks, which would give me well in excess of five years of daily shaving.

I don't know how many shaves I'd get from the Palmolive, as I've never finished one, but I do know I get about 500 shaves from a MWF, and haven't had a weeper with either of them since I started shaving again in October last year.

Musicman, that is awesome. I know as a 4 pass shaver, I am a heavy soap user and glad I am as I really enjoy the lather I make. However, you totally destroy my results as I paid $57 with shipping and only got 122 shaves out of a jar. I seem to get fewer shaves than most from others I've talked to. I must really be a SoapHog. That said, MdC was my favorite soap for the last several years. Recently a couple of soaps like Grooming Dept. and Tallow & Steel have edged slightly ahead of MdC but every single shave with MdC was very enjoyable. The good news is, I recently received a jar of Fougere as a gift, cutting my overall MdC cost in half. Since I recently switched to a Timeless . 95, I can now get a BBS shave in 3 passes which should mean an extra 25% more shaves. Still a far cry from the Musicman!

i like mdc, i own the lemon citrus agrumes version and dont use it often since i have many others but i am a fan

That is great info, thank you. On average how long do you load your brush for Mdc ?

$48 purchase price includes shipping, but I ordered two jars. They threw in a bar of bath soap (pretty darn nice stuff at that).

Three pass shave always includes enough lather left over for another pass or so. I believe this is the norm, and while it might be possible to use less soap I can't imagine anyone trying to be that precise (or caring that much). Lather down the drain post shave is something I consider the price of the process.

I didn't put the lid back on the jar - ever. On the last puck I replaced the lid before the soap dried and I found it softened the soap a bit. This time I found leaving it opened (I used it every day I was home with the exception of two weeks on a new soap trial) actually dried it quite a bit in the end. It worked just as well, but took a little longer to load.

380 3 pass shaves.

At $48 I have that as 12 1/2 cents a shave (or around 4 cents a pass, if you like). I offer this as a price comparison. I suspect many of you have no idea how many shaves you get from a puck as you usually have 8-10 in your rotation. But if you have an idea - and you care - this gives you an idea of how MdC actually compares money-wise. While price is not my first consideration, it is a consideration.

I strongly suspect that $48 a year (essentially) is probably pretty close to the average soap cost around here (with the exception of the $5 soap users - my wife is frugal, so no offense intended).

With creams I found that the "expensive" stuff really wasn't so expensive. Castle Forbes cost me less than half a penny a day more than Proraso in actual use. Now I'm finding the same thing in soaps. ABC and MdC are initially expensive, but in actual use don't seem to be much more than the average soaps.

Soap quality is certainly subjective. I get a daily BBS with many soaps, as do many of you. But MdC gives me significantly fewer weepers - three times less - than the others. Post shave is fine, but I use a balm so that might be less of a consideration for me. I also get unscented when possible, so that is obviously not a consideration for me either.

380 3 pass shaves.

I have noticed that the newer artisan soft soaps are being consumed at a faster rate.
Soft soaps are, by nature, going to load faster. So if you are a consistency person, and always load for a set amount of time, you will load more product and use soft soaps faster.

Hard soaps and especially milled soaps, are just more efficient at delivering lather with little reduction in puck size. I used a puck of Godrej for 3 weeks straight, and you couldn't even tell it was used.

It's long been stated that MdC is a great value. But most folks can't see past the initial output of dollars in acquiring it to see the benefit. They'd rather spend $20 at a time, for a soap that will last 2-3 months, than $60 once for a soap that lasts a year.

Also, with artisans literally flooding the market, and most of them producing soft soaps/croaps, many folks don't realize how good these hard soaps are.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
On average how long do you load MdC?

It depends on a few things:
When it was new it loaded much faster. I assume it was because the jar is filled to the top - I use a large brush and when at the top the jar doesn't restrict the width of the brush. Also I believe it was considerably softer at the start (before I left the top off for a year).

The size of the brush definitely matters for load time.
How much water you leave in the brush definitely matters - a considerably dry brush loads slowly.
The stiffness/backbone of the brush can be a factor, although I suspect much less than the water content.

With the SOC boar and a brush wet enough to not require any more water during lather building (I do try and guess this) it loads in 10-15 seconds when new. As I worked my way down the jar (so the sides of the jar essentially made the brush "smaller") it took longer. As it dried out it took a little longer. At the end it was at least 20 seconds - longer when I guessed a little less water than required.

MdC builds lather fairly quickly, but I suspect some people stop a little too soon. It looks good, but it gets even better with another 20 seconds of brush work.

Thanks for keeping track!

As you note, I have a rotation and have only a rough idea of how long a puck lasts.

MdC is my soap in over 90% of my daily shaves. I used to buy the wooden bowl version yearly and then in the last 4 years I've bought one jar yearly as a top up - I have it in a camembert dish and I've never actually run out.

Using (on average) a 24mm (synthetic cashmere) brush I'd load for about 15 secs - which gives me three great thick lather passes - I'm not a fan of three ever decreasing lather passes. There is usually a surplus.

It has great cushioning and excellent slickness.

Great value over a year.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice and helpful review. I have a sample on order and will try it in early April. Right now I'm doing the March Fixed Four.

Where's the best place (price, shipping, etc.) to buy MdC, assuming I decide I like it that much? I'm in the USA.

Happy shaves,

Jim

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nice and helpful review. I have a sample on order and will try it in early April. Right now I'm doing the March Fixed Four.

Where's the best place (price, shipping, etc.) to buy MdC, assuming I decide I like it that much? I'm in the USA.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Usually the best bet is to order it direct from Martin de Candre's website while they have a sale. Sign up for their Email list... I get bath/hand soaps as well and I must say they have very high quality bath towels as well.

Top Bottom