What's new

Fine Stout brush

I’d be interested in hearing opinions on the fine stout brush. Softness, splay on the face, face lathering, any other thoughts. I like its old school classic look.

TIA
Drew

I have a Fine Stout (and a Fine Classic) in my brush rotation. The Angel Hair knot has medium-low backbone and splays easily. It also has very soft tips, so it feels extremely plush on the face. Fine's owner, Todd Cerami, says that he tried to replicate the highest grades of badger hair, so plushness was the goal.

I'm exclusively a face-latherer and I find that it does an excellent job. I use everything from creams to croaps to triple-milled soaps and I rarely have issues generating a top-notch lather.

By the way, I also like the design. Emulating the Simpson Chubby was a great idea. :thumbup1:

Here's a photo of mine:

full

This brush is basically emulating a Simpson Chubby, except with a Plisson type synthetic knot. Its short loft gives it a firmer feel than other similar Plisson type brushes. It's pretty much intended for face lathering.

I prefer the newer generation synthetics, so something like the PAA Starcraft with 24mm Roswell Grey knot would suit me better. The handle is longer, so the brush can be used for both face lathering and bowl lathering. The knot is soft without being too springy.

feels very similar to my Razorock Plissoft Bruce. not sure it adds a new experience to what I already have. Nice little brush though!

FWIW, I really like the Fine Stout. It's supposed to be a Chubby 1.5. I don't have a Chubby 1 so I can't really say if it does slot in there. However, it was one of the first synths on the scene that I truly liked and would reach for.

The only reason I don't use it that often is I like larger brushes (26, 28, and 30mm). Once APShaveCo came out with their large synths, the Stout is awaiting a PIF to another of my converts.

marty

Top Bottom