What's new

Fine soap vs Barrister & Mann

So I have used a few of the B&M soaps and like them. I was thinking about trying out the Fine shave soap products and was wondering what those that had tried both thought. Are they as good lather quality and sent?

I've got several B&M products, but just one Fine. I've had some variability in the B&M lather, and it is a softer soap the Fine. I've had nothing but great results from my puck of Fine.

Hmm, interesting. I am going to have to go with the exact opposite point of view. I find B&M tallow soap to perform better than Fine. I've tried 3 B&M soaps and 1 Fine soap.

The ingredients list for Fine's soaps is poor, to me, and so I have yet to try them. Unlike B&M, Fine's soaps contain no moisturizers. Every now and again, I find a great soap with a basic formula, but in general, I find that the ones without shea butter, kokum butter, lanolin, etc. to be drying.

I 3017nd a couple B&M soaps a few years ago and it was good stuff. I'm 2 weeks into Fines lavender, it's a better soap in every way for me, during and after the shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fine soaps are just the naked puck. I like a tub included at the fine price point.

Fine soaps are just the naked puck. I like a tub included at the fine price point.

Maggards sells an excellent PETG soap dish with cover, 4" diameter for easy loading. $3.00. A pick of Fines goes for $12.50. Many of B&M soaps are priced high-teens to low twenties. Also Fines soaps are hard triple milled pucks that last significantly longer than softer soaps like B&M.

If you don't have an Old Spice mug on your counter or in your den, you might consider it. The form factor of the Fine shaving soaps fit perfectly.

Why choose?

I love them both, and am moving toward a Fine/B&M rotation only.

The soaps are fantastic, as are the A/S splashes ... I'm not sure I desire to explore any others at this point.

I'm not choosing. I was wondering if the Fine would be worth trying based on me liking the B&M. I will try the Fine now. Just have to figure out which one. I make my own A/S now, but if I ever need to buy some I will try the fine. I just need to figure out which sent.

Fine is absolutely worth getting, and if I'm being honest I prefer them a bit over Barrister & Mann, though both are fantastic soaps. A good way to go is to test out the different scents is to order a few samples of the aftershaves. The price is decent, you'll get a chance to try as many of the scents as you like and the soap scents are identical to the aftershaves. My top three are probably Italian Citrus, Platinum and L'Orange Noir, not necessarily in that order.

I'm not choosing. I was wondering if the Fine would be worth trying based on me liking the B&M. I will try the Fine now. Just have to figure out which one. I make my own A/S now, but if I ever need to buy some I will try the fine. I just need to figure out which sent.

American Blend is the quintessential "Barber Shop" scent, but more elegant, if that makes sense. At its core, I believe, it's the scent of the old Barbasol in a can, which is based on another fragrance whose name escapes me. Many see barbershop scents as pedestrian, but this is beyond that. My wife loves it ... like loves loves ... can't stop sniffing me loves.

My favorite is L'Orange Noir. Citrus and spice ... may not be your thing, but man I love that scent. Think I'll wear it later today as a matter of fact.

Italian Citrus is good, a little different than L'Orange ... I don't wear this one as much (in terms of a/s) but that's because I have a puck of the IC soap that I haven't opened yet.

I also have Clean Vetiver (which I believe they've renamed), and I didn't shave yesterday but I splashed some on anyway and my mother-in-law said I smelled good. LOL

Anywho, I'm off on an A/S tangent, but the Fine soaps that I've tried are fantastic in terms of performance. To me they're hard to compare, B&M to Fine, because one is basically a croap, and the other is a milled puck, but when it comes down to it, the shave from both is exceptional

Agreed this is a tough choice. B&M Seville remains one of my all-time great performers but Fine's American Blend has just an amazing scent. I have also started using Italian Citrus...just love the scent! So B&M still tops the overall performance of the two, but Fine has the edge in scent for me!

I really want to try fine, but, I think it may be unfair to compare Thema since they are two different things. Fine is a hard soap with scents copied Form famous collognes. There is nothing wrong with that, but, B&M is an artisan making croaps that focus on new and unusual scents. Experimental perfumer and soap Maler in one.
Personally I want a Hügel den with soaps for days, so I'll take both Plesse!

I guess in the end scent does matter, but I am truly wondering about the over all performance in lather too. At the end of the day I like the scents from B&M although I had to get used to Leviathan, if one performs better for the actual shave that is the one I will stick with. I tried Mike's and although it is a great product I get better more protective and consistent lather that lasts longer on my face with the B&M.

I guess in the end scent does matter, but I am truly wondering about the over all performance in lather too. At the end of the day I like the scents from B&M although I had to get used to Leviathan, if one performs better for the actual shave that is the one I will stick with. I tried Mike's and although it is a great product I get better more protective and consistent lather that lasts longer on my face with the B&M.
Indeed but both fine and B&M are known for their scents so people will automatically bring it up in s comparison. I think fine will be the next soap I try. This month I am ordering samples of Stirling since I want one of there brushes, but, Fine is definarely in my sites.

Fine for the price in my opinion is a good deal, they have the best scents and aftershave to go along with it.

I like the lavender since it is based of C&S Oxford and Cambridge. Platinum and American Barbershop are the other 2 I have.

They also have a great Sandalwood scent if you like that.

Top Bottom