What's new

Fine Slant Razor

I tried this for the first time last night. CNC machined solid aluminium. Reading about it, it seems that many balked at the price so they perhaps didn't sell all that many. I got it at a discounted clearance price. (Review below image).

20220328_194627.jpg

The first thing I noticed is the weight, which is fine because I am used to aluminium razors. Installing a blade, it tightened down with perfectly even exposure on both sides with no manual intervention required. None of my other slants do so. It is designed, engineered and manufactured with such tight tolerances that you can't manually align the blade. I checked just to be sure as, unlike my other slants, the blade isn't aligned even closely with the base plate or cap - the blade is not just slanted but at a noticeable angle as well.

In use, it feels like my black tip Super Speed and Rocket LD - mild and precise with lots of feedback and that "singing" sound that only aluminium razors deliver. I like aluminium as it looks and feels like space-age metal, although it can feel strange shaving with something that feels so light that it could be plastic. However, this razor is also efficient - so much so that it is at least as effective as my Merkur 37C, RR German 37 and FOCS.

There was a bit of blade chatter but not necessarily any more than from my FOCS and it didn't stop it from doing its work. I expect that will go away once the coating wears off the Gillette Silver Blue I used but it might be better to use a blade that is sharper from the start like a Feather, Bic or Gillette 365.

All in all, an excellent shave with no irritation. This isn't just a razor I can use daily - I expect I could use it twice a day if I wished.

The Fine Slant isn't going to be for everyone, whether it is the material or the price. However, there's no denying how well designed and manufactured it is. It works better than it seems to have any right to and deserves to be a collector's item in due course.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I tried this for the first time last night. CNC machined solid aluminium. Reading about it, it seems that many balked at the price so they perhaps didn't sell all that many. I got it at a discounted clearance price. (Review below image).

View attachment 1430992
The first thing I noticed is the weight, which is fine because I am used to aluminium razors. Installing a blade, it tightened down with perfectly even exposure on both sides with no manual intervention required. None of my other slants do so. It is designed, engineered and manufactured with such tight tolerances that you can't manually align the blade. I checked just to be sure as, unlike my other slants, the blade isn't aligned even closely with the base plate or cap - the blade is not just slanted but at a noticeable angle as well.

In use, it feels like my black tip Super Speed and Rocket LD - mild and precise with lots of feedback and that "singing" sound that only aluminium razors deliver. I like aluminium as it looks and feels like space-age metal, although it can feel strange shaving with something that feels so light that it could be plastic. However, this razor is also efficient - so much so that it is at least as effective as my Merkur 37C, RR German 37 and FOCS.

There was a bit of blade chatter but not necessarily any more than from my FOCS and it didn't stop it from doing its work. I expect that will go away once the coating wears off the Gillette Silver Blue I used but it might be better to use a blade that is sharper from the start like a Feather, Bic or Gillette 365.

All in all, an excellent shave with no irritation. This isn't just a razor I can use daily - I expect I could use it twice a day if I wished.

The Fine Slant isn't going to be for everyone, whether it is the material or the price. However, there's no denying how well designed and manufactured it is. It works better than it seems to have any right to and deserves to be a collector's item in due course.

Yeah, I am not really into slanted razors, I don't really trust them in the slightest. And when you spoke about the inability to adjust blade alignment, I was like, what in the heck? Blade chatter, interesting too, cause another thread next to yours, talked about using the same Gillette blades I think, and he spoke of blade chatter in is. While indeed I believe his slant is defective, but you talking about blade chatter as well, I begin to wonder, is this a thing with slanted razors, or is it the Gillette blades themselves?

What I like most about your razor specifically, is the handle. You are the second person on here, who has a razor, who's handle, looks like a light saber. I am a big fan of light saber looking handles. Hopefully, you continue to enjoy your razor. But I must admit, I am put off about the strange blade alignment, and inability to adjust it though. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I am not really into slanted razors, I don't really trust them in the slightest. And when you spoke about the inability to adjust blade alignment, I was like, what in the heck? Blade chatter, interesting too, cause another thread next to yours, talked about using the same Gillette blades I think, and he spoke of blade chatter in is. While indeed I believe his slant is defective, but you talking about blade chatter as well, I begin to wonder, is this a thing with slanted razors, or is it the Gillette blades themselves?

What I like most about your razor specifically, is the handle. You are the second person on here, who has a razor, who's handle, looks like a light saber. I am a big fan of light saber looking handles. Hopefully, you continue to enjoy your razor. But I must admit, I am put off about the strange blade alignment, and inability to adjust it though. Thanks for sharing!
Not being able to align the blade manually is a good thing - it's engineered so well that the alignment you get is how it is designed. Chatter is normal with aluminium razors if your beard is tough enough. It's not because the blade is flexing. If anything, slants chatter less than other razors. The manufacturer suggests using light pressure.

Try a Merkur 37C. You might be surprised.

I love the looks of the aluminum Fine slant, but the shave just does not convince me. In fact, I don't like the shave. That really bothered me, as, like I said, I like the looks, and also, I love the shave the bakelite originals from the first half of the 1900s.
Pity

but you talking about blade chatter as well, I begin to wonder, is this a thing with slanted razors, or is it the Gillette blades themselves?
From what I gathered from searching out more info on slants, is that it does seem to be an area where people seem to either really like them, or really don't. Now and then you get meh/medium response, but not as much. I think its one of those ones where personal preference is everything.

I learned that a slant can be mild/mid/aggressive (I thought at first they were all aggressive), I didn't hear anything on chatter being an issue with them, and I have heard it about other razors, so, I don't think it is anything specific to one kind of razor. I hear more about chatter as it regards either different blades compared to each other, or how one type of blade reacts in different razors. As to blades, I don't think its a Gillette thing, as there are so many different Gillette blades, and a few of them show up in people's top ten list pretty regularly. I wonder if maybe technique plays a part? It's pretty much out of my scope personally, I've only really experienced it a few times. I think the kind of hair, and amount of it, and how long it is plays a big part of it.

I have a plastic Fine slant, is there much difference w the SS besides weight?
I have no idea. Someone is bound to have both.

I used it earlier this night with a Treet Dura Sharp (the carbon steel version). This is a match made in heaven. I find that aluminium razors benefit from having a firm grip (still with no pressure) to offset their lightness.

I own a Fine SuperLite (composite) and it is by far, the most efficient razor I own (out of hundreds of razors). I recommended the Fine aluminum to my cousin (since they don't seem to make the SuperLite anymore) and he didn't like it at all. I feel kinda bad for recommending a razor I hadn't personally tried, but to be fair, I thought it was the same geometry (I was wrong after he brought it over to compare).

Top Bottom