What's new

Fine olive oil.

Without even considering health benefits, I've become more and more "hooked" on this stuff. I use it as a seasoning, but my favorite use is simply on good bread, especially if its grilled or toasted. Years ago, I discovered "new" oil from chefshop.com (I think it was Pasolivo). Then while a subscriber to David Rosengarten's newsletter, I joined a "new oil club". Ever since, I get three bottles every three months from all over the world.
I'd be interested to hear what others consider favorites. I prefer peppery, green oils that are unfiltered, raw, and fresh.

Hi Tom. I am no well versed about olive oil but can relate the nicest experience with it I have had so far. We always shop at TJMaxx and they have a nice food selection. Olive oil is always present from one brand or another. On a lark, my wife grabbed a bottle that turned out to be Spanish in origin. Wow. This oil has one of the nicest bouquets I have ever smelled. Almost flower like. I noticed they had some more a few weeks later and bought another bottle or two. Fanastic stuff.

Regards, Todd

I have eaten olive oil all my life and prefer the ones from Spain. I think they are more rustic and flavorful. My preferred way of eating it is put some on a dish, sprinkle with salt and and mop with a piece of Cuban bread.
My cholesterol never goes over 150. It must be the olive oil lubricating the blood pipes

I get my olive-oil from this shop:

http://www.meeuwig.nl/producten.html

They import small batches from Italy, Greece, France, Portugal and Spain and keep the oil in Stainless steel tanks.

One of my favourites is the Italian "Foggia D.O.P.": I use it in salads.

• Hand-harvested
  • Non-filtered (not possible to see-through)
  • Intensely green and rich
  • Lightly bitter, taste of green tomatoes
  • For use in salads, Fruits de Mer and salads

There should be an English overview of these oils. You could drop them a line and ask it. It's quite interesting reading, they are real olive-oil enthousiasts.

I use extra virgin olive oil all of the time for cooking, simple oil and vinegar dressings, and for bread. I usually use Italian oil but have tried some wonderful Jordanian oil. Looks like I am going to have to try some Spanish olive oil.

I really like the Nunez de Prado oil, though its pretty mainstream. Some folks like oils that are buttery and smooth, and are used to oil that has been tempered by aging. Once I tasted new oil, though, I was spoiled. I would think the "ultimate oil experience" would be to have a great loaf of bread right at the press!

I have sometimes paid a high premium to buy a liter of exotic oil but generally just buy a 3L can of extra virgin either Kalamata or Italian, whatever is a good deal at the time, usually ~$20. Once it's in the mix with other things I can't detect much difference from the 35/L stuff and I go through a can in about 8 weeks.

I agree that a generous shot of oil on a piece of very slightly burnt brown bread toast is a great snack! A sprinkle of coarsely ground Guajillo chilis is a nice addition.

Hallo I'm from Tuscany, Italy. You have to pay much attention in olive oil: is very difficult to find a good brand of oil well known outside Tuscany or Liguria (near Genoa). My stepfather produces himself olio di oliva extravergine, just squeezing olives in cold case. If you want i can ask for little producers of oil who sells outside Italy from my zone, between Firenze, Siena, Castellina in Chianti

Hallo I'm from Tuscany, Italy. You have to pay much attention in olive oil: is very difficult to find a good brand of oil well known outside Tuscany or Liguria (near Genoa). My stepfather produces himself olio di oliva extravergine, just squeezing olives in cold case. If you want i can ask for little producers of oil who sells outside Italy from my zone, between Firenze, Siena, Castellina in Chianti

Listen to bellefonte he is in one of the world's great olive oil production areas in the world and the region producing my favorite oils.

For use in raw applications I prefer Badia a Coltibuono an extremely fresh, low acid olive oil.
proxy.php

Its not cheap, but if you use it for only special applications its worth it.

For daily use I prefer Colavita Extra Virgin because it is the only reasonably priced all Italian olive oil available at most local groceries. I am told that Rachael Ray makes an all Italian oil but I would sooner eat a Swanson Italian frozen dinner than buy a RR EVOO...she irks me so!
proxy.php

Anyway, I prefer the taste of the Italian oils. There are very good Spanish and Greek oils, and California too. Taste your way through a few regions and see what you like best.

My wife and I have tried a bunch, and our favorite so far is a California brand called Bozzanno. It runs about $18 per bottle, and worth every cent.
proxy.php

Hi Tom. I am no well versed about olive oil but can relate the nicest experience with it I have had so far. We always shop at TJMaxx and they have a nice food selection. Olive oil is always present from one brand or another. On a lark, my wife grabbed a bottle that turned out to be Spanish in origin. Wow. This oil has one of the nicest bouquets I have ever smelled. Almost flower like. I noticed they had some more a few weeks later and bought another bottle or two. Fanastic stuff.

Regards, Todd

That's interesting. My wife gets a lot of olive oil at TJMaxx too. We've had some very good stuff.

One of my pet peeves is that extra virgin olive oil is so popular that a lot of recipes recommend it for every type of cooking imaginable. People need to remember that it has a low smoke point. It should not be used for any high temperature cooking of any significant duration.

Last edited:
I really like the Nunez de Prado oil, though its pretty mainstream. Some folks like oils that are buttery and smooth, and are used to oil that has been tempered by aging. Once I tasted new oil, though, I was spoiled. I would think the "ultimate oil experience" would be to have a great loaf of bread right at the press!

That is going to: el cielo :001_smile

Most of the brands mentioned are reliable. The trouble is freshness. Some bottles are dated, but most are of indeterminate age (not to mention handling).
I've had wonderful Badia oil, and some that was only so-so. Buying "boutique" brands doesn't work well, either. Really great oil doesn't have to cost a fortune, you just need a good source with a lot of turnover.

Top Bottom