What's new

Fine "Marvel" Razor

saw this razor is going to be available in a few days. It doesn't look like a very rigid design, but the curve of the blade and .95 blade gap has me intrigued. I know some reviews have been posted elsewhere and on YouTube.

Has anyone tried the prototype?

Anyone have any initial thoughts on it?

From Fine's website:

Construction: Zamac
Weight: 93 grams
Height: 87 mm

upload_2018-9-7_10-58-47.jpeg

Clamping distance is an important part of rigidity, so with clamping pretty close to the blade/cap edge it could be a pretty rigid design despite the lack of bottom support.
saw this razor is going to be available in a few days. It doesn't look like a very rigid design, but the curve of the blade and .95 blade gap has me intrigued. I know some reviews have been posted elsewhere and on YouTube.

Has anyone tried the prototype?

Anyone have any initial thoughts on it?

From Fine's website:

Construction: Zamac
Weight: 93 grams
Height: 87 mm

View attachment 910523

Clamping distance is an important part of rigidity, so with clamping pretty close to the blade/cap edge it could be a pretty rigid design despite the lack of bottom support.

That's what I was thinking too.

$40 for a zamak razor seems pricey, but i love the bar design.

I agree, but Merkur and Muhle charge more for them too. I guess I'm intrigued by the efficiency and comfort that's been reported in the few reviews I've seen.

I saw some shave reviews of the prototype on youtube. Folks seemed impressed. As for the zamak construction, I am not too concerned. as others have pointed out, Muhle and Merkur do it and there aren't much problems. It depends on the chrome plating. If it's thick, it will last a lifetime. A lot of times, you cannot get interesting intricate designs without casting the parts.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It doesn't look too bad. The price is not too bad either compared to some others.

It looks great! I have seen Tube video's on it, but, I will wait for our Members reviews before I jump on this myself. It looks like it might be too aggressive for me,

Part of the discussion is focused on value, and if a zamac razor is pricey at $40; my posting suggested a made in Italy razor which is nickel over brass can be sold for half that amount. That seems relevant enough. :)

Fatip obviously saves money by hiring a relative with poor vision to do quality control. I own two :) .

My Fine arrived today, shave tomorrow.
Part of the discussion is focused on value, and if a zamac razor is pricey at $40; my posting suggested a made in Italy razor which is nickel over brass can be sold for half that amount. That seems relevant enough. :)

How old are your Fatips? My understanding is QC improved, jmudrick. The three Fatips and Schones I purchased in the last year are perfect.

Hope your Fine works for you.

I have one Mk1 and a recent Gentile . They're ok. But I still see an awful lot of complaints about them on the forums and on Amazon, or "I don't mind having to check alignment for $23" type comments. Don't get me wrong I love them, but I fall very squarely into the more than materials matter camp when assessing value.

All that being said I have to admit the Marvel does not make a good visual impression , way heavy on the chrome like some of the Baili razors, not a good thing..
How old are your Fatips? My understanding is QC improved, jmudrick. The three Fatips and Schones I purchased in the last year are perfect.

Hope your Fine works for you.

The joy of wetshaving is to buy that one more razor which comes to town !

$40 for a chrome over zamack vs 2x fatips nickel over brass..

I think the 150 plus modern and vintage DE and SE razors I have - what would all those $$$ have got me if I didn't buy those razors ?

And hey while we will discuss - we're all going to buy those fatips and the Marvel and the new GC base plate and the others which come out. :D

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I ordered the new Marvel razor because of the 0.95 blade gap. I want to compare it to my Timeless SS 0.95 scalloped razor.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

One of the most enjoyable head shaves I've had with a DE. Not at all embarrassed by the Blackbird or Karve. I'm not going to worry too much about which razor is too expensive. Now the Marvel handle is definitely not marvelous, it's both cheesy looking at not particularly well balanced with the head. My Pearl fatty is much better suited.
proxy.php

Top Bottom