What's new

Fine Fresh Vetiver & Green Vetiver

I read another thread here about these two soaps but I still can't figure out what they might smell like before buying. If anyone can weigh in it would be super helpful for me. My best understanding currently is that Green Vetiver smells like freshly cut grass, very grassy and woodsy, which I probably would NOT like personally.

I understand Fresh Vetiver is a take on Tom Ford Grey Vetiver but I've never smelled that so not sure what its like. The notes are described by Fine as contemporary fragrance fusion of grassy vetiver, grated citrus, wet concrete, and ozone. That sounds kind of interesting to me, but again I don't know what it means. I like modern citrus scents. I've read that "ozone" as a note smells like the scent right before rains. That sounds nice.

Also, are either of these similar to Proraso 'Cypress & Vetiver' ? I very much Dislike Proraso Cypress & vetiver

1588751394952.png
1588751417935.png

I've had both and liked both. They are not vetiver forward scents. It's present but it's not the primary note. I found fresh vetiver to be more cologne based and sharp to the nose but I couldn't tell you with any authority how close it is to the inspired scent. Green vetiver is a little darker and more earthy, but still not vetiver forward.

I think you may find the Fresh Vetiver more to your liking.

I liked both, but I'm simplifying my soap rotation and I originally got these hoping to get something vetiver forward and they werent' enough for me. I have other Fine soaps in the rotation I use (Amerian Blend and Lavender).

b.

I've had both and liked both. They are not vetiver forward scents. It's present but it's not the primary note. I found fresh vetiver to be more cologne based and sharp to the nose but I couldn't tell you with any authority how close it is to the inspired scent. Green vetiver is a little darker and more earthy, but still not vetiver forward.

I think you may find the Fresh Vetiver more to your liking.

I liked both, but I'm simplifying my soap rotation and I originally got these hoping to get something vetiver forward and they werent' enough for me. I have other Fine soaps in the rotation I use (Amerian Blend and Lavender).

b.

Is there any other popular soaps that you would compare Fresh Vetiver to?

Fine's Green Vetiver Shaving Soap is by Fine, I believe, to be modeled on Guerlain's Vetiver edt. I have both. I think that Guerlain's Vetiver has a tad bit more citrus than does Fine's soap. I personally don't think either one of them smells like newly mown grass. (By the by, Fine also sells a Green Vetiver aftershave.) Other vetiver shaving soaps include Ariana & Evans Vetiver Magnifique (I have a sample and may order a puck), Haymarket by somebody, and Morning Ghost by Cold River. You can find reference to them here by searching vetiver in this forum.

Is there any other popular soaps that you would compare Fresh Vetiver to?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that because there's a lot of newer stuff I'm not as familiar with. I haven't come across anything else like it, so sorry to say I can't give you much of a cross reference.

Haymarket by somebody,
Shannon's Soaps makes Haymarket Vetiver and it is really very good (" ...notes of vetiver, citrus, and oakmoss -- an all essential oil original blend"). Another one I like is Dirtyver by Declaration Grooming--hard to come by because it is a seasonal release. It was available for a brief period in the new Milksteak base. I have it in the prior Icarus base. Less interesting is Mike's Natural Vetiver--this is a one note soap.

Last edited:
Shannon's Haymarket is wonderful! The scent and the amazingly low structure lather.

From the fine, I love and kept the green vetiver...what a gorgeous scent!
The fresh vetiver was nice but too "cologne type" for me.

I own a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver cologne and a bottle of Fine Fresh Vetiver AS and shaving soap. I would describe it as a smokey aromatic cologne. Kind of like someone who smoked and then tried to cover the smell on their clothes afterward with cologne but in a good way (as gross as that might sound). Grey Vetiver is a strong scent but it’s really well done and it’s unique which makes it stand out but also a bit difficult to describe.

I also own a sample of Guerlain Vetiver cologne and a bottle of Fine Green Vetiver AS. It’s also really well done but perhaps better suited for the older crowd. I believe it was launched sometime between 1959 - 1961 if my memory serves me correctly, so it’s a bit more dated. It has a darker, dirtier note in the background. I could see it being less suited for the masses but still worth a try. Maggard Razors offer samples of both for only a few bucks if you’re curious.

I bought a bottle of vetiver toner by Stirling. Super strong pine or juniper smell. I don't think I'll ever but anything again with the word vetiver in it.

I bought a bottle of vetiver toner by Stirling. Super strong pine or juniper smell. I don't think I'll ever but anything again with the word vetiver in it.

Talk about YMMV. I got a bottle of the Stirling Vetiver toner as part of a lot. Didn’t want it, didn’t appreciate a sniff of the bottle, but I really liked it when I splashed some on. I use it sparingly, but will buy more when it is gone. I wouldn't describe it as pine or juniper, but that is not a bad way to communicate to someone unfamiliar with vetiver.

Is there a Vetiver that smells like fresh hay or prairie grass?
I remember putting up hay and the scent of the prairie grasses in Nebraska. Has anyone made anything like this?
(Mike’s or Noble Otter?)

I remember putting up hay and the scent of the prairie grasses in Nebraska. Has anyone made anything like this?
(Mike’s or Noble Otter?)

When you find it, let me know! I think straight vetiver is earthier than putting up hay or walking in the prairie. That’s based on my extensive experience with one product. :001_rolle

When you find the product that evokes youth, cleaning up after haying, then getting in some barbecue and swing dancing at the grange, I’m IN! :thumbup:

If it evokes getting up at dawn and moving sprinkler pipe by hand, before coffee, I’m OUT!! :thumbdown

Neither of those soaps are really close to the cologne they are based on. The Guerlain Vetiver is a pretty complex scent that shines in the dry-down. You don't really get that with a soap.

I'd say the Green Vetiver is a more woody, herbaceous scent, more classic. The Fresh Vetiver seems to have more citrus, more modern.

(Mike’s or Noble Otter?)
I don't know about soaps, but if you ever get your hands on some Roger & Gallet Vetiver EDT or Open EDT, they each in their own way come close. The R&G Vetiver is like the grasses, and R&G Open is essentially a hayride in a bottle, with some ginger ale to drink and a bit of the wood of the wagon underneath. It's a mid-80s frag, so there's some big lavender in there, but the notes of spice, hay, and sandalwood dominate.

Just want to update that I tried both of these two soaps months ago. Did not care for them, not my cup of tea. But i can see how some people might like them. Vetiver just isn't for me.

Top Bottom