What's new

Fine American Blend soap, new formulation?

So I've had a beard since before the pandemic. I recently shaved, but I still have a few pucks of Tabac and some of Mike's Barbershop soap. They both still seem fine and I've been using them.

Fine American Blend is my favorite scent, and I bought a few pucks when they switched to a Tabac like soap base that I loved. I remember reading they couldn't buy that base any more, but they do still sell soap. Now it's not in pucks, but in tins that cost $24 for 5 oz! Ouch, that's pretty steep.

What is the opinion on whatever base they are using now? It seems crazy that this is more than twice what stirling, Tabac, or Mike's would cost for a similar amount of soap. I think I'm probably too cheap to find out, but I am interested in opinions on how their soap base works now.

I'm a big fan of Fine Platinum. I have not tried American Blend.

I'm still using my last puck of the original Fine Platinum. I continue to love it. I also love that it lasts a long time.

My wife surprised me with new canisters of Fine Platinum and Fine Clubhouse. I have used them to see how they behave. They shave wonderfully. If anything, they are easier to lather than the original. The large diameter canister works so well that it doesn't need to be transferred into a mug. I lather straight from the canister. The scent of Platinum is identical to the original.

The only downside is that it doesn't last as long. Perhaps that is part of why he increased the quantity.

My reaction is "try it, you'll like it".

I have snakebite in the new formula. You're right, 5 oz for 24 bucks is a lot of money. It's a good quality soap, but it's not worth the 24 bucks you pay for it. I honestly prefer the fine hard tallow shave soaps they discontinued over their newer formula.

I continue to enjoy pucks of the ‘old’ Fine options (lavender pour homme and platinum). Once I get through them (in my rotation that may take awhile), then I should get around to trying the new base.

I have four of the "new" formulations. I find them to be excellent and actually prefer them to the older versions because they seem somewhat easier to lather. Not cheap but these four canisters will last me a long time since they will be rotated with my other soaps and creams.

I just purchased a canister of Fine American Blend and while the lather is fantastic, the scent seems to be lacking. I had a puck of American Blend about 4 years ago, and though it's been awhile, the scent of the new formula seems much subtler. And compared with the puck of l'orange noir that I currently have going, the scent seems almost non-existent. Did I get a bad batch, or are the scents on the new Fine formula subtler than they were in puck form?

Top Bottom