What's new

Fine Accoutrements Sampler-Daily Impressions

I’m going through a four pack sampler of Fine Accoutrements Aftershave now available from Mr. Fine . I’ll post my impressions as I use them.

Today: American Blend. It’s a “classic barbershop” scent and whatever that really is is really to my liking. Immediately, the scent reminds me of a less sweet, less sharp Clubman Classic, or a spicier, less soapy AV Ice Blue. After a little alcohol burn, a welcome cooling menthol sooths the skin. Upon drydown, I’m left with a real pleasant clean scent, again reminiscent of AV Ice Blue but less soapy. Unlike AV Ice Blue, the Fine Accoutrements line does not contain glycerin, much to my liking.

I read a post somewhere that Mr. Fine uses a relatively high percentage of scent oils in his product and one poster cautioned that such high scent oil content could irritate the skin for some. Full disclosure, skin on my chin and under my jaw does feel a bit more irritated than I’m used to, but that could be chalked up to the fact I’m using my Gillette Old Type for the first time since OCtober and I’m having difficulty dialing it in properly. I hope this splash agrees with me as I really dig the scent and post shave face feel. This one is a winner.

POSTSCRTIPT: 7 hours post shave and I still pick up slight clean pleasant scent. Awesome!

Last edited:
Just came here to post on this as well. I ordered the sample pack. It was the great labels on this product that made me buy. lol

Tried the Vetiver today. Blown away! Fantastic scent that has lasted a good 3 hours so far and I can still smell it. It's kind of smokey...very masculine. It's kind of similar to Masters Champagne which was my favorite scent until now. I'm in love with it already and plan to buy a large bottle.

I will report back on the others as I use them. Big thumbs up so far though.

Just came here to post on this as well. I ordered the sample pack. It was the great labels on this product that made me buy. lol

Tried the Vetiver today. Blown away! Fantastic scent that has lasted a good 3 hours so far and I can still smell it. It's kind of smokey...very masculine. It's kind of similar to Masters Champagne which was my favorite scent until now. I'm in love with it already and plan to buy a large bottle.

I will report back on the others as I use them. Big thumbs up so far though.

I snuck a sniff of the lavender, it's nice too. I might do an all lavender shave tomorrow :shaving:

I forgot to mention there is a ton of juice in the samples. You can a good 10 splashes out of these bad boys. Maybe more.

@cpacapmer

Did you use the lavender today? Splashed the Italian Citrus. Another good one. Very clean and soapy to me. Citrus actually does a good job of sticking around for awhile. This one didn't last as long as the Vetiver on me, but it's still detectable after a couple of hours.

Today: Savon Lavande. Immediate bright floral lavender, herbaceous scent that went on with a slight burn, then cool. The herbaceous note is a very nice surprise. Dry down is excellent with good face feel, although this morning my skin could use a little moisturizing much to my surprise (no knock against the aftershave). I'm not getting much lingering scent after a couple hours, maybe a very slight but pleasant floral/powdery thing. Skin irritation is less than with American Blend but I'm still getting used to the Old Type (man, that's an efficient razor, maybe too efficient!) so I won't blame the aftershave here either. It's good stuff.

EDIT: Scent did not last until lunch. Bummer.

Last edited:
Today: Italian Citrus: Citrus, melon, with a slight powdery floral among other things my unsophisticated shcnozz cannot decipher. Those other things complete the surprisingly complex, wonderful scent out of the bottle onto the face. Slight burn, slight cooling, and great dry down with the scent remaining intact. After awhile, the melon and slightly floral notes remain, along with the scent I cannot decipher, maybe sandalwood or some sweet wood type of thing. Who knows, it's wonderful whatever it is. Great face feel, no irritation whatsoever so my Old Type technique is good today. I really like this one a lot.

Postscript: Scent lingered for about 4 hours. I still really like this.

Last edited:
This morning: Fine Vetiver. I had no idea that vetiver is a grass native to India and accordingly I had no idea what vetiver would impart. I am pleasantly surprised to find a refined, clean, powdery, sweet scent. It reminds me of a less sharp AV Ice Blue, a scent I really like. It just smells clean. Went on with slight burning followed by a slight cool down from the menthol. Immediate scent is strong sweet cleanliness and after some dry down the powder note asserts itself. Face feel is superb and I expect the scent to last many hours.

Conclusion:

I really like lack of artificial color in all the Fine products. I also like the lack of glycerin as my face doesn't seem to respond well to use of the stuff. My favorite scents last long enough. Overall, I dig the simplicity of the mix and I feel Mr. Fine did his homework in creating and fine tuning his scents.

I really like the vetiver, Italian Citrus, and American Blends, and I'll give the lavender another shot.

PS: It's 5.5 hours since my shave and I still get slight tendrils of scent. Excellent.

Last edited:
These descriptions are great, and are similar to mine. I really like both the FV and the AB -- they both feel great and leave a nice, clean old school scent, but not nearly as old school as a Clubman.

Top Bottom