What's new

Finding the right blade

When you're still new issues usually have much more to do with technique than blade choice. I love Astra SP, the're cheap, sharp, and smooth. If you're getting OK results with them I would just stick with them until you're getting great results. then try some other blades. This will give you a baseline to compare others to.
Bingo! My quest for the ultimate blade eventually led me back to the good old ASTRA SP :badger:

Hey guys, my name is Emil
Welcome Emil! :)
Some blades don't work well on certain razors. Sharp blades in aggressive razors might be a bit much and smooth blades in mild razors may be ineffective.
Do you also believe that tightness of the upper component makes a razor aggressive? More tightness = more sharpness/more stationary a blade in a razor is?
3-Piece-Safety-Razor.jpg

Hey guys, my name is Emil. I've been DE shaving for only a month and had a quick question!

I've bought an assortment of 5pk and 10pk blades to try out, but I'm wondering how many shaves should I give a blade before I decide it's not for me?

I've tried feathers and astra superior, both which gave me a bit of razor burn, but no nicks or cuts. I'm not going to discount them yet, as I'm still learning my angles, pressure and growth map.

I'm planning on going through my entire sample pack (10 or so different) blades, and then start at the beginning again (feathers), but how many shaves would be a good number before moving to the next blade?

Appreciate your time guys!
Cheers

You are taking the right approach.
Give them time.
That said; maybe try a more forgiving blade. My beard is lighter than yours and my first successful blade was a Wilkinson Sword. It was smooth and forgiving and I used it 5 weeks while working on my technique and then graduated to Astra SPs, Gillette Super Blues (another fine blade), and Personna Reds.
YMMV.
I’ve been at this 7 months.
Welcome aboard and the Illuminati will Be answering you soon.
Good luck my friend.

I've tried feathers and astra superior, both which gave me a bit of razor burn, but no nicks or cuts. I'm not going to discount them yet, as I'm still learning my angles, pressure and growth map.

I'm planning on going through my entire sample pack (10 or so different) blades, and then start at the beginning again (feathers), but how many shaves would be a good number before moving to the next blade?

Appreciate your time guys!

First and foremost - Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of traditional shaving! :)

You're right to not swear off either Astras or the Feathers I have found both to be fantastic blades, the fault may lie in the technique as you've said. For example, I got a pack of Polsilvers in my first sample pack. After a week or two of shaving with Astras exclusively, I tried a Polsilver and I gave myself terrible razor burn. I swore off Polsilvers and didn't touch them again for two years. Out of curiosity I decided to try them again got great shaves. I chalk the razor burn down to me still being inexperienced and applying too much pressure and bad blade angle.

I think you are on the right track with your blade testing, but in the mean time I would focus on practicing my technique milder blades for a couple of weeks then venturing into then easing myself into the sharper blades.

Also, even if you find a favorite blade out of the sample pack, it might also be a good idea to save at least one of each type to try again down the road.

Welcome Emil! :)

Do you also believe that tightness of the upper component makes a razor aggressive? More tightness = more sharpness/more stationary a blade in a razor is?
View attachment 964361

Hi BombayShaver,

All things being equal, tightening a blade doesn't make a razor more aggressive. It just makes the blade more secure and vibrate less during a shave and should reduce irritation.

There was a thread about "adjustable“ English TTOs.
1936 Aristocrat De Luxe instruction beschriftet Logo.JPG.jpg

Apparently loosening the top a little makes it more aggressive.

I do know that adding a shim to a 3 piece razor would make it more aggressive by increasing the blade gap.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Wow thanks for all the good advice and kind words guys!

One thing I think that I'm struggling with is that because I have a beard, my main focus is my neck, which the growth goes from S to N, then once it reaches my upper neck (just below my beard line) it takes a sharp turn to the left on one side and on the other side it goes sharp right.

So I'm having to shave S to N (UP), then to the left and then to the right, which means I can't use the weight of the razor as a guide for pressure.

It feels like I'm barely using any pressure, and the shave feels really smooth and nice, but once I've cleaned my self and applied some aftershave, the red bumps appear, and I'm pretty sure it's razor burn. It could be my angle, not sure.

I'm wajting for some pre shave cream to arrive, like another member recommended, so I'll try that and come back and tell you guys how it went!

One thing I think that I'm struggling with is that because I have a beard, my main focus is my neck, which the growth goes from S to N, then once it reaches my upper neck (just below my beard line) it takes a sharp turn to the left on one side and on the other side it goes sharp right.

So I'm having to shave S to N (UP), then to the left and then to the right, which means I can't use the weight of the razor as a guide for pressure.

My neck hair does the same, and like yourself I find it difficult to get the angle and pressure right going east to west in that area. What I do for my with the grain stroke is shave diagonally moving half with the grain half across it, then follow up with a full across the grain pass.

I'm in the same boat with neck hair making sharp turns right below my chin line. I'm still new, so no pro or anything, but if those sharp turns you mentioned are requiring you to add pressure, and causing irritation there, than I wouldn't do that. Its definitely razor burn by the sounds of it.

For razor burn, if you want to try and get rid of it faster, you can use the old aspirin crushed up in some water...just rub that on the razor burn and let it dry, then wash off or just apply your post shave over it.

But I would do short, no pressure, N to S strokes right on your beard line. Then come up to that from the S to N normal strokes you do. Both being straight strokes, with minimal pressure. Especially where you get the razor burn...just lay the razor on your skin and add no pressure. May take 2 or 3 passes...but a little stubble is better than razor burn. Delete those sharp turns for now. Try it out, see if it works.

Top Bottom