What's new

Finding The One?

A small bit of background: I have pretty much every vintage Gillette razor ever made. If it's not in my collection, it's a variant of interest to collectors but not something that will shave uniquely. I have owned the Eclipse Red Ring, the Muehle r89 and a number of others.

A couple of years ago, I got the new version of the Merkur 37c. I had the older version at one point but traded it along with the Eclipse as they shaved identically for me but made my skin a bit too sensitive.

Since using the latest 37c, I haven't really used my other razors since. Whenever I try one of my favourite Gillettes ('40s SS, Slim Adjustable, '30s and '40s Aristocrat), I feel relief when I go back to my 37c. There's just something missing from other razors and unless I push a blade beyond it's limits, I never get a bad shave. It's smooth and mild like a SS, efficient like an open comb and never tugs. Perfectly smooth every time.

Maybe I've found The One. I'm going to try another couple of slants to see whether I just like slants more these days (sort of wish I'd kept the older 37c to compare) but it might just be that they'll sit in my draw unused along with about seventy years of Gillette history.

In my quest to try more slants to see whether I prefer them or whether there's just something about the Merkur 37, my RazoRock German 37 arrived yesterday.

It's noticeably more aggressive than the current production Merkur; no treating it like it's a Tech. It seems that it will be more sensitive to choice of blade as well. The balance of the HD handle feels odd but that's a matter of acclimatisation and changing my grip to suit; it doesn't affect the performance of the razor at all. I could probably do a two-pass shave with the German 37, it's so efficient. It's still more gentle on my skin than a non-slant razor and in time, I think I'll learn to get more out of the razor and to be faster using it. In brief: I like the German 37 but I need to learn it's nuances.

So far, I prefer slants but the Merkur 37 feels right and doesn't require any care or attention. It's still my number one razor.

Next will be the Fatip Lo Storto open comb slant.

What’s your go-to blade?
Gillette Platinum, Gillette Sharp Edge and Gillette Permasharp are the main ones. For my current slant experiment, I am sticking to the Gillette Super Blue made in China as I have been using them a lot recently and it's easier to use them as a control.

Gillette Platinum, Gillette Sharp Edge and Gillette Permasharp are the main ones. For my current slant experiment, I am sticking to the Gillette Super Blue made in China as I have been using them a lot recently and it's easier to use them as a control.

Thanks! The Gillette Platinums are really awesome. I'd like to try the 37C... maybe I will get one

Thanks! The Gillette Platinums are really awesome. I'd like to try the 37C... maybe I will get one
They are very reasonably priced in the UK. My Fatip Lo Storto Orginale arrived to-day. I used to be a big fan of open comb razors so I am looking forward to trying an open comb slant. They are even cheaper than the Merkur.

The thing I love about the modern 37c is that it just works. For me, at least. YMMV.

I'd say delete the bookmark to the DE razors forums. :D I too like the 37C, my only complaint is that it is the only razor that noticeably sharpens my stubble so it is a little itchy on day 2.
I bought the FOCS too, but it didn't work out (I'm in the minority with this). Then I got the Wunderbar, although they are both slants, the feel couldn't be more different. The Wunderbar is a beast.

I don’t believe all this talk about the one. It sounds to me like you need to try some more razors. How about some fancy pants, modern, CNC machined razors? The Henson is good.

For me I think I have found the one which is my Timeless .95. This thing is so efficient and smooth that it glides on my face like butter. One day I will consider trying a Wolfman but unsure if it can beat the Timeless. Probably going to get a titanium version to match my stainless and content with a 2 razor collection.

A small bit of background: I have pretty much every vintage Gillette razor ever made. If it's not in my collection, it's a variant of interest to collectors but not something that will shave uniquely. I have owned the Eclipse Red Ring, the Muehle r89 and a number of others.

A couple of years ago, I got the new version of the Merkur 37c. I had the older version at one point but traded it along with the Eclipse as they shaved identically for me but made my skin a bit too sensitive.

Since using the latest 37c, I haven't really used my other razors since. Whenever I try one of my favourite Gillettes ('40s SS, Slim Adjustable, '30s and '40s Aristocrat), I feel relief when I go back to my 37c. There's just something missing from other razors and unless I push a blade beyond it's limits, I never get a bad shave. It's smooth and mild like a SS, efficient like an open comb and never tugs. Perfectly smooth every time.

Maybe I've found The One. I'm going to try another couple of slants to see whether I just like slants more these days (sort of wish I'd kept the older 37c to compare) but it might just be that they'll sit in my draw unused along with about seventy years of Gillette history.
Very interesting post! My question: will you sell some of your Gillette razors? I like them, and a lot......:eek2:
BTW, I have many slants, and the Italianbarber German 37 gives me the best shaves of them.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have several favorites...and they all make me happy. Congrats on finding one.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wulfgar,

I think it's awesome that you found a razor that checks all the boxes for you.

I'm set with my Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. I got lucky... I found something I really enjoy at the very beginning of my wet shaving journey. The next phase for me is trying the 5 or so different AC blades. So far, I've tried the Feather AC Pro Guard and the ProSoft Guard. I like them both...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I know the feeling. I quickly got sick of buying new razors, only to discover they shaved no better, and no more comfortably, than my Edwin Jagger DE3D14. It's zinc alloy, and so won't last for ever, and I've had to replace the top cap once already, but it's the one I keep returning to.

Everything else just seems like more expense, and a brand new learning curve, only to end up right back with exactly the same shave I was getting before... though not necessarily with the same ease, control and comfort.

Top Bottom