What's new

Finding the 'one' razor or variety?

Are you a find one razor and stick with it kind of guy, or do you prefer to use most (all?) of your razors in a rotation?
I'm partial to the rotation myself, using each razor for a week before moving on to the next one in line. If I add a razor to the collection, it is added to the line-up. Having a half dozen razors in my collection makes this feasible.
So, how about you? Find the 'one' and stick to it or is variety the 'slice' of life?

I use mainly a single DE razor right now, but I have 4. I plan to “finish” my DE collection with 2 more razors then, if all continues to go well as I wade in the kiddie pool of SR shaving, I plan to focus there enough to be self sufficient. After that I just need to maintain my gear and buy some software here and there.

I experimented with several DE’s the first year or so when I switched to DE razors. Once I figured out what worked best I zeroed in on the ATT and have used it since then - for 3 years now.

One razor and brush every day. I enjoy the simplicity and get great shaves day in and day out.

When I open a fresh blade I'll select a fairly mild razor, like a Pre-war Tech or my Black-handle Super-speed. After the blade gets used a few times I'll switch to a Slim set to 5 or 6, then RazoRock OLD Type, then eventually (around 6-9 shaves) to my Fendrihan Scientist MkI, which is the most aggressive razor I have, and use that once or twice. After that I'll just pick one of the others at random.
These days, I think my Super-Speed gets used about 30-40% of the time, out of those five razors.

I use one razor, a Fatboy. I also primarily use one type of blade, Nacets. I have two boar brushes so each can thoroughly dry before getting used again.

Edit - I should admit, in all fairness, that I will never have just one soap. I would have dozens if I had both the budget and the storage space.

Sent via Tapatalk

If you view shaving as a chore that has to be done every day, then find the razor that gives you an efficient shave and stick with it.

If you enjoy the experience of shaving, then obtain multiple razors and select the one that will maximize your accomplish on a given day. I rotate between about 25 straight razors and 3 DE razors. No artist paints everything with a single brush; there will be a collection brushes of various types and sizes so that the artist can best capture his vision on the canvas.

I try to rotate among my 50 or so razors .Seems like my tech's ,krona and adjustables come up more often although I'm starting to enjoy my Schick injector a lot .

I only have one, since I'm new to the whole DE world.

I expect that once word gets around that I've taken to DE shaving, gifts in the theme will be forthcoming - I'm 'difficult' to shop for in that I already own basically everything I need, and tend to buy things I want before bothering to put them on a list that others can use to shop for me.

But it's easy to buy brushes/soaps/razors, because 'extra' isn't really a part of it.

That said, it's not my goal to keep a collection - or even to build a den. I'm a function over form kind of guy, and while part of me is greatly amused and even intrigued by the varied combinations out there (blade/razor, soap/as, etc), I know that if push came to shove, I'd always be capable of picking 'the one' out of whatever pile I'd managed to acquire. If I can pick one I'd prefer to use over the others, then I don't truly need to keep the rest. Or even, I suppose, want to.

It's just how I'm wired.

I seem to be searching for "the one" razor. I have an issue however with a bit of RAD thinking each razor could give me a better shave than the last. Just picked up a machined mamba from razorock, I'm expecting it to hold "the one" position for quite some time, perhaps not inevitably however.

I try to be a find one razor and stick with it kind of guy but I always seem to want to try something new after a while. I think that Ive finally found, "the one", in my Feather Artist because I honestly cant see how I could ever go any better but we shall see.

For years I kept changing razors but lately I keep coming back to my Aristocrat Junior and Rocket HD 500. At this point, I use these razors more than my Darwin, Rhythmic, Tradere or any other of my "grail" razors.

I stick to two to three razors. Mostly two. My 57 SS and my 68 Slim. Mostly use the Slim during the week and the SS for Sat Sun. My old family relics stay in the cabinet.

IMO once you find the right razor and you get that wow shave, you stick with it. The analogy of the right tools for the right job is apropos.

Top Bottom