What's new

Finding the Grail... well the blade actually

Into my second week of DE shaving with my Rockwell C6, and I have been wrestling with a 100 pack of Personna blues. My shaves with the Rockwell blades that came with the razor are fine, as they appear to be a mild blade, but I have tried 4 Personna blades, and they can be quite mean.

Using the #1 plate, a setting most people find to be mild to the point of uselessness, I managed to get a weeper... and that's being as careful as I can! I did manage to get a decent shave with a mild burn. I guess I can use these blades after all! Well... just because I can doesn't mean that I want to!

So what do you think I do next?

Let's try a Feather!!!!!!

Well... it was a Feather on the #1 plate, and I know this is a blade that one MUST treat with respect, but I also think it will inform my Personna blue experience a little better. Guess what? I had a decent shave, though the #1 plate does demand a bit more time for touch up passes, but I had very little irritation from them, and zero weepers!

Tomorrow I plan on switching to what I expect to be my best pattern with whatever blades I finally settle on, and that's WTG & XTG passes using the #4 plate, then ATG and touch up with the #2 plate. Should there be trouble, I will jump back to #1, but I sense that it will be okay.

I did contact Personna about these blades earlier this last week, and their response was prompt and positive. This made me really want to give their blades a proper trial before I write them off. Do you think I simply got a bad run, or could they be the wrong blades for me? The adventure continues!

Some blades just don't hack it for certain shavers. For me, the Rockwell blades are terrible while Personna are my favorites. In a few months, as you develop your technique your preference in blades may change, too.

Some blades just don't hack it for certain shavers. For me, the Rockwell blades are terrible while Personna are my favorites. In a few months, as you develop your technique your preference in blades may change, too.

+1
Personna’s are my go to blade also.

I find that most blades work well in some razors and not in others. Keep your Personnas to try in a different razor--you might be pleasantly surprised by them.

To be fair it is only your second week. It could be just as much needed refinement of technique. Welcome and keep at it!

When I started I hated Derby and Astra, but really liked Bic. Until I tried Gillette Silver Blues. After a year or so, I have gone back and tried some of the blades I previously had with mixed success. Just tried Gillette Nacet and love them.

My recommendation, get a mixer pack of blades that cover a wide range. Try one type for 2-3 blades and focus on technique. Then try another blade for a few. Usually a blade lasts me about a week with 4 to 6 shaves.

I am considering vintage adjustables like the Gillette Slim and Fat Boys. From what I have read, a Feather Model AS-D2 coupled with Feather blades might also do the trick. There are many possibilities, but I need to study further. I do like the idea of adjustable razors which can compensate for my technique deficiencies and blade variables. As I said in the opening post, we'll see how well I can handle a Feather on a middle setting tomorrow.

To be fair it is only your second week. It could be just as much needed refinement of technique. Welcome and keep at it!
I guess that's why YMMV is an axiom on these forums! Everyone's technique and face contours are so variable. My technique will never be great because I have a nice familiar tremor going on which means that I need to use enough pressure on my face to steady the razor. So when I do it right, it's an achievement!

Everyone's technique and face contours are so variable. My technique will never be great because I have a nice familiar tremor going on which means that I need to use enough pressure on my face to steady the razor. So when I do it right, it's an achievement!
Welcome to B&B.
Concentrate on the technique and lather rather than the blades and you will achieve good shaves. If you have to use pressure the #1 or #2 plate would be the ones to stick with moving up to #3 or #4 as your technique improves. I am not familiar with the Personna blades but they seem to have a good following. Anything from the PPI stable are worth trying especially Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge.

As your technique improves, try blades again that you formerly found unacceptable.
I tried a Supermax Platinum Plus (a blade that was poor in different razors) in a new-to-me black beauty for a surprisingly smooth and irritation free dfs. I actually opened the razor mid-shave to see if I hadn't slipped an Astra SP in there.

+1! Keep the Personnas (very good blades for me), your tastes may change with experience and/or your razor choice.

Did a Feather today on #4 with cleanup on #2, and managed to avoid nicks. I did get a mile burn. I'll keep the blade in my razor for a couple of shaves, then try a Personna with the same care and see how she does.

I guess that's why YMMV is an axiom on these forums! Everyone's technique and face contours are so variable. My technique will never be great because I have a nice familiar tremor going on which means that I need to use enough pressure on my face to steady the razor. So when I do it right, it's an achievement!

Okay. My better half has similar issues. She can't write anything until she has had a small cocktail. Not suggesting a Bloody Mary before shaving, but....

A post war Gillette Tech and a Feather razor will shave about the same, BTW.

20171207_152214.jpg
I have procured an array, from sharp to mild blades, to test. Now the fun begins in earnest!

As some others have said, it's probably too soon to totally write off the Personna Blues. I would just put them away and re-visit them in a few months.

I will say that I like Personna Israeli Reds a lot more than the Blues. IMO, they are smoother and more forgiving. The Reds are my favorite blade.

I opened a pack of Lord Chrome blades, and it was a pleasant an effective shave using the #4 plate on my Rockwell 6C.

I just received my 1956 Gillette Tech, and tomorrow I plan on trying it with a Personna blue. I am amazed at the good conditioned it is in for $15!

I also have a Phoenix bakelite slant on the way, as well as a dial adjustable. :)

Top Bottom