What's new

Finding natural pieces of rock to hone on

You might have better luck with a piece of that slate that hasn't been sitting in water. It's likely that somewhere up stream there is an exposed face of that layer. There also may be harder parts of that layer that have not eroded into the stream.

I once read that only 1% of the sharpening stones coming out of the Japanese mines were of razor quality and the rest were sold for knives and tools. I keep that in mind while stone hunting. You could hit the jackpot only to pick up the wrong stone to test.
That’s very helpful thanks

I Shaved with the newly honed Shuredge today and got a brilliant shave. This razor was last honed months ago on films and yesterday honed on the found stone and it’s a genuinely massive improvement. I don’t think I’ve ever had edges this sharp and smooth. The 2 razors honed on the found stone even sound different to how they used to and both are a pleasure to use. This Shuredge has a nice very hollow grind and now sings with a completely different voice much like the ELSINE.
I’ll take the advice kindly given on here and return to the river and try to find bigger, more suitable pieces as the pieces I have are thin and fragile and aren’t going to do many more hones, and I like the edges so much that I want to keep using it. I honed this second razor to make sure that the first one hadn’t been a fluke as I thought it quite improbable that the first found stone I tried would be so effective but I guess I got lucky because effective it is to say the least.

You might have better luck with a piece of that slate that hasn't been sitting in water. It's likely that somewhere up stream there is an exposed face of that layer. There also may be harder parts of that layer that have not eroded into the stream.

I once read that only 1% of the sharpening stones coming out of the Japanese mines were of razor quality and the rest were sold for knives and tools. I keep that in mind while stone hunting. You could hit the jackpot only to pick up the wrong stone to test.

The most damaging thing I've seen is when the stone is located somewhere that gets wet and also freezes and thaws repeatedly. In all the stones I've run across, that either tends to split the layers apart internally or soften the stone a lot so it's crumbly. Just getting wet can sometimes soften the stone too, depends on what exactly its composition is; but being in deeper water actually can help if it never freezes. Otherwise it's better to look for something that hasn't been near or submerged in shallow water if it's an environment that freezes in winter.

It might be worth trying to use these stones with oil. On some stones this can really boost the edge. Not all stones are oil stones but for some it makes all the difference.

It might be worth trying to use these stones with oil. On some stones this can really boost the edge. Not all stones are oil stones but for some it makes all the difference.
Thanks for the suggestion what type of oil would I use? And do I use oil in place of slurry and water?

I’ve been experimenting with this lately. The best oil I’ve found is singer sewing machine oil. This is the perfect consistency for honing. Straight food grade mineral oil, as sold for chopping boards, is good too.

You would use oil only, instead of water, with no slurry for the final finishing. This has the effect of floating the razor a little bit over the abrasive and making a finer scratch pattern.

You can use all sorts of oils really. Some swear by olive oil or mineral oil / kerosine mixes. There are even bespoke honing oils but these tend to be designed for knives and tend to be thicker. The general consensus is that mineral oils are best as they don’t go rancid.

When your finished just wash the oil off with dish soap and water. You don’t need much. I use 12 drops of oil on a 175x75mm stone.

I’ve been experimenting with this lately. The best oil I’ve found is singer sewing machine oil. This is the perfect consistency for honing. Straight food grade mineral oil, as sold for chopping boards, is good too.

You would use oil only, instead of water, with no slurry for the final finishing. This has the effect of floating the razor a little bit over the abrasive and making a finer scratch pattern.

You can use all sorts of oils really. Some swear by olive oil or mineral oil / kerosine mixes. There are even bespoke honing oils but these tend to be designed for knives and tend to be thicker. The general consensus is that mineral oils are best as they don’t go rancid.

When your finished just wash the oil off with dish soap and water. You don’t need much. I use 12 drops of oil on a 175x75mm stone.
Thanks, definitely worth looking into

Nothing wrong with trying oil on a piece, but do be aware that oil is said to permanently ruin some slates such as Eschers. Sounds like you have plenty to experiment with though.

Nothing wrong with trying oil on a piece, but do be aware that oil is said to permanently ruin some slates such as Eschers. Sounds like you have plenty to experiment with though.
Ha no my pieces have pretty much disintegrated through lapping and separating the layers in the first place. I’m down to one final usable sliver which is about 3 inches long, an inch wide and very thin, maybe a millimetre. I reckon if it holds together through the slurry making I’ll get one more honing from it before it’s finished. I’ll really have to watch my fingertips too.
I’ve got a Friodur stainless which needs a touch up so I’ll try it on that I just hope the little piece holds together long enough to to get through it. Next time I fish the river I’ll do my best to find more, hopefully a deposit. I hope I do as I’d be happy to send pieces out to the people on this post to see if you like it as much as me.

It’s also worth trying the stone without slurry. A slurry finish tends to be less sharp than clean water or oil. Slurry can speed up the cutting action and make the edge more comfortable but generally this comes at the expense of sharpness.

Well that sounds like a plan as I’m nervous about making a slurry on it anyway for fear of cracking the thin bit I’ve got left. I’ll give that a go tomorrow

There are a several streams in my state that are named "Whetstone" creek, brook or whatever; but, just like the several flows that are named "Trout" brook or stream usually don't hold either.

1E9E30E8-55E5-48B2-BE74-AAAEC732CDDC.jpeg

This is the little scrap I have left, which I just honed my Friodur on. I haven’t got a big selection of razors and the Friodur is probably the best steel I’ve got so I’m interested to see how it’s gone. Fearing the stone would break up while slurrying I just used plain water. The stone is now very small and thin, just on the limit of being useable for me. I can’t hold it in my hand and there’s very little weight to it. I have to balance this piece on my fingertips which felt precarious to say the least and after 100 laps I stopped as the grip was wobbly and every time the stone moved my heart gave a good solid beat. It was hard to keep a consistent contact between blade and stone, though I mostly managed it. My girlfriend looked over my shoulder and started laughing ‘say bye bye to your fingertips’. Let’s see what the shave tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
I used the Friodur this morning with a big faceful of Penhaligon’s Blenheim shave cream and a nice big badger brush. This razor was last honed on films and for some reason had recently started to cut me and leave weepers so I honed it on the black shale last night.
As I started cutting I noticed the same change to its voice as I did with my other found stone razors, it’s now a little raspier, huskier. The shave is so smooth and easy too and the post shave feel is brilliant. This stainless blade generally holds and edge for months so I’m glad I honed it before the stone breaks up. I now have three of my razors with the black shale edge and they all leave that same pretty much perfect post shave feel.
Shaving with an edge you honed yourself is one of the satisfying things about straight razor shaving but doing it on a piece of rock which you went and found in nature then end up getting great shaves off it is even nicer.

Last edited:
The Russians have a saying, ‘to die with music’. It means to go out with a bang, with all you’ve got left, to go out in style.
My last (barely) usable shard of black shale looked too thin to even risk raising a slurry on and I honed my Friodur on it with water only. I felt I got better edges with a slurry.
But my Naniwa edged Turner & Co 5/8ths felt less than usual today and as the shave is fresh in my mind I thought I’d hone it on the shale.
But I would take the risk and raise a nice thick slurry on it and work down and hopefully the stone would complete the hone and if it cracked in two then it would have died with music
I picked up the skinny fragment of stone, not even long enough to cross my palm, and mentally mapped where the best run of the razor would be. I took a smaller piece of lapped shale and rubbed them together to get that great inky black slurry.
I was happy to see the super thin remnant stay in one piece. I felt much more confident balancing the thing on my fingertips than I had last time and I did 30 laps, then diluted and did the same again and again and again until I was in pretty much clear water and there was a slight sticking to the stone. With hindsight I wish I’d stopped there, I can’t explain it but it felt perfect there, but I went on for a further 30 laps water only. Those last 30 laps of mine weren’t my best, I seemed to lose my rhythm and make mistakes so I stopped. The stone held up surprisingly well so I’ll shave with this razor tomorrow and hopefully I haven’t gone too far.

Last edited:
I shaved with the Turner & Co this morning with some Taylor’s Jermyn St soap and a Yaqi Silvertip and again noticed a different note to the razors voice. Big improvement on yesterday’s shave as it was smoother and sharper everywhere especially atg. Post shave feel is excellent.
Four of my seven razors now have the black shale edge and they’re my favourite shavers. We’re not allowed here to travel atm but I’m looking forward to returning to the river to look for more, I’ll take a small hammer and bolster with me on my next trip as I remember seeing some exposed shale on the riverside hopefully it’s the same stuff I found in the river.

Hey Jake, have you been able to go back and get some river stones? I've just read about your adventure with the shale and I'm pretty interested.

Hey Jake, have you been able to go back and get some river stones? I've just read about your adventure with the shale and I'm pretty interested.
Hi, no I haven’t been back yet but while out walking in a different river with the family a few months ago I found a bigger piece of what looks like the same black shale. On bringing it home I put it in a box and forgot about it, but you’ve just reminded me so tomorrow I’ll dig it out and lap it and see if it’s the same stuff. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I dug out the new found stone and I’ve just gone through and started trying to lap it on a 600 grit diamond plate and was pleased to see the same inky black slurry appear, so I’m pretty sure it’s the same type of black shale.
The stone is much bigger than the fragment I last used but the surface was quite uneven so I switched to used piece of 350 grit wet and dry which was a little faster but not much.
I did about 20 mins under running water and will probably need another sitting or two of similar duration to get a workable surface.
B43A1345-379F-43D4-977A-EF1E20A0F935.jpeg

7D158703-A967-4C17-B181-F35A5588B04F.jpeg

the shiny bits are flat but a lot more work is needed.
I could try coming in from the side with a bolster and cleaving the stone longwise in two which I’m sure would give me 2 pretty ready flat stones to work on but I’m worrried I may wreck the stone.
46DECCE4-D8B0-4B22-82DB-BCFF1AB3DE23.jpeg

I’ll try further lapping tomorrow and hopefully it’ll hold together. If it’s too much work I may be tempted to split it and hope for the best.

Top Bottom