What's new

Finding natural pieces of rock to hone on

I don't know if this will work for you, but I saw a guy on youtube perform rudimentary flattening by using 3 stones of the same type. He used them in various sequences so that none of them developed a concave or convex shape.

That would be great! I really like the idea of finding local rocks that can hone a razor, despite the lack of a pedigree.
Me too, it’s caveman style. I got great edges from the last piece I found which really surprised me so fingers crossed for this piece.

I found this river stone 8 years ago. 20210725_212033.jpg
It was really flat on 1 side not perfect, but perfect for knives and chisels! I live in the range of where arkansas stones occur naturally so when i found it i thought "black novaculite". So after i used my soft and fine arkansas stones id polish my knife on it to get it arm-hair-shaving sharp. I started my straight razor journey about 6 month ago while sitting around missing my grandpa. Im going to try to flatten this one soon to give it a try with razors. We just bought a house and i found 2 baked potato sized stones i think one is translucent and one is a rosy translucent. I'll probably have to take them to a lapidary artist to have them cut. I'll take pictures next time i go to my house. I was polishing a chisel on on the black stone a couple weeks ago, very light rubbing and one small slip and got the entire bevel stuck into my hand. Should've gotten stitches. Here is 10 features of healing with antibiotic ointment. Healed nicely at least....20210725_212119.jpg

*edit: i don't know why the last 2 pictures were reversed.

Attachments

• 20210725_212105.jpg
    20210725_212105.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Top Bottom