What's new

Find a razor that’s good for your body (and less bad for the planet)

This article is from the Washington Post. It is likely behind a paywall, so not everyone will be able to read it.

The title pretty much sums up the article’s content. There is discussion of inexpensive DE razors, shaving soap, blades, etc. and how they are all good for the planet and for your budget (😂). I wonder if wet shaving is about to hit the mainstream.

Here is a sample:

Consider an old-school razor​

Old-school single-blade safety razors (basically a razor with a protective device positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin) with replaceable steel blades are experiencing a renaissance. Newer models come in modern styles with pivoting heads and other features. “You can get a great shave with a single-blade razor, and we’re seeing more models at big-box retailers,” Herro says. A quality zinc alloy handle, made to last decades, will range from about $35 to $50, and replacement blades are inexpensive. If you’re unsure of how to use the razor, there are many instructional videos on YouTube and TikTok. Search, “How to shave with a safety razor.”

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This article is from the Washington Post. It is likely behind a paywall, so not everyone will be able to read it.

The title pretty much sums up the article’s content. There is discussion of inexpensive DE razors, shaving soap, blades, etc. and how they are all good for the planet and for your budget (😂). I wonder if wet shaving is about to hit the mainstream.

Here is a sample:

Consider an old-school razor​

Old-school single-blade safety razors (basically a razor with a protective device positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin) with replaceable steel blades are experiencing a renaissance. Newer models come in modern styles with pivoting heads and other features. “You can get a great shave with a single-blade razor, and we’re seeing more models at big-box retailers,” Herro says. A quality zinc alloy handle, made to last decades, will range from about $35 to $50, and replacement blades are inexpensive. If you’re unsure of how to use the razor, there are many instructional videos on YouTube and TikTok. Search, “How to shave with a safety razor.”

Well, you know what I say? Its about time!

I agree that society needs to wake up, none of these plastic cart razors are good for the environment, they all go to the landfill, and they do not bio degrade, as it would take probably 1000-years before the plastic becomes mush. Plastic cart razors are also not good for your pocket book, the replacement cart blades alone will put a hole in it lol.

Like the article says, DE razors cost more upfront, but the replacement blades are inexpensive. Plus, DE razors are better for the environment, well, as long as its not a bakalite model lol. I wish the article went into more details about the material makeup of different DE razors that you can get. IDK, maybe they had, and I just didn't see it in your summary.

But yeah, you can get zamak, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, titanium. And then you can also go down the rabbit hole, with all the different coating's, platings on razors too. And I am also not sure if the article talked about the traditional arts of shaving, using a shaving brush and bowl. But I am guessing they didn't want to scare people too quickly, and just alluded to the fact you can still use your can of gel or foam.

What I didn't like, is how they mentioned Tik Tok for learning how to shave. I usually like to look at the Washington Post with respect. But, I have a hard time respecting any group, who recommends Tik Tok for asking advice. Nobody should be using Tik Tok for anything. Its a site for children who like to perform dangerous challenges.

YouTube however, is acceptable in learning how to shave, mostly because there are a lot of veteran DE shavers there, who also visit this site. What I also didn't like, is how the Washington Post, never mentioned our site, for the leading bible on how to shave. I am sorry but lets be honest here, Badger & Blade is the best shaving forum website on the internet, and we have the best and most accurate information here.

And there is no way in heck, that the Washington Post doesn't know about Badger & Blade, this site has been around since at least what 2012? But yes, lets bring back the arts of traditional wet shaving, and be done with this consumer throw away society that our nation has become. When we love our planet more, we love ourselves more. I think that is a better way to enjoy life.

Is zinc alloy code for zamak?

Yes, I believe that zinc is code for Zamak. Its also known as pot metal, and back in the 80's, Volkswagon door handles were made of the stuff, and they just fell apart from corrosion. Truth is, something I've learned on B&B, cause again, were an excellent source of professional information here, is that even though Zamak is a low quality metal, when plated properly, and taken care of, can last a good awhile.

But if you abuse your Zamak razor, and the plating starts going away on it, it will corrode in short order of course. But you see, thats also why we have other options. Lots of great choices to choose from. But a good starter razor for any beginner to learn DE shaving on is of course, the Merkur 34C. The Henson AL13 could be a great starter razor for beginners too, and at least its aluminum, so better then Zamak.

What I didn't like, is how they mentioned Tik Tok for learning how to shave. I usually like to look at the Washington Post with respect. But, I have a hard time respecting any group, who recommends Tik Tok for asking advice. Nobody should be using Tik Tok for anything. Its a site for children who like to perform dangerous challenges.

YouTube however, is acceptable in learning how to shave, mostly because there are a lot of veteran DE shavers there, who also visit this site.
Tik Tok is not exactly what you think it is and should not be dismissed with such a broad stroke. YouTube is no more (or less) credible a source of information than Tik Tok.

This site is indeed a source of good information. Then again, dopes like me are allowed to post too, so just because it is posted here, doesn't mean it is true or worth anything :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tik Tok is not exactly what you think it is and should not be dismissed with such a broad stroke. YouTube is no more (or less) credible a source of information than Tik Tok.

This site is indeed a source of good information. Then again, dopes like me are allowed to post too, so just because it is posted here, doesn't mean it is true or worth anything :)
At least half of what I post is true, doggone!

Ask anyone, especially my mom.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suspect that many blades are made for developing countries and sold to Western consumers as grey market items; that is why they are so inexpensive. The volumes are low enough that they are largely ignored by cartridge manufacturers. Were DE shaving to seriously challenge the cartridge market then perhaps the cartridge makers would take more of an interest, and stifle DE blade supply such that they would become more expensive and difficult to obtain. I am guessing here, I don't have the faintest idea what I am talking about 😂

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Most environmentally friendly:

A6315EC7-6915-4E94-9823-F6AA8663ADB6.jpeg

I suspect that many blades are made for developing countries and sold to Western consumers as grey market items; that is why they are so inexpensive. The volumes are low enough that they are largely ignored by cartridge manufacturers. Were DE shaving to seriously challenge the cartridge market then perhaps the cartridge makers would take more of an interest, and stifle DE blade supply such that they would become more expensive and difficult to obtain. I am guessing here, I don't have the faintest idea what I am talking about 😂
Wrong. Anyone can go to a blade manufacturer and purchase blades in bulk. The big wet shaving companies buy them by the pallet load. 30 boxes of master packs at a time. Each master pack contains 100 cartons, each carton contains 100 blades.

Last year Maggards sold just under 6 1/2 pallets worth of Astra Superior Platinums. That's 2,080,000 blades. Of just one blade brand. I'm sure Amazon sells a billion Astras a year.

The vast majority of people on the planet use DE blades. They would probably like to use cartridges, but can't afford them. The Indonesian making $1 a day can barely afford to buy DE blades as it is. In India, the poor buy one blade at a time.

Interesting thread!
Author of the WaPo article makes some good points, with which I personally sympathize!
However...
I highly doubt she interviewed any 'expert' from the industry leaders, eg Gillette, Schick, Harry's, etc.
So she presents a slanted view. Typical of today's journalism.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So are we all going to put in stocking requests for DE razorblades at our local grocers here in the USA? I'm always amazed that the "real estate" in the shaving section doesn't have 2 or 3 de blade choices stocked. Not like they're going to spoil. Oh, that's right, someone's hand is in someone's pocket... that's why I can buy carts, foam, beard oil, etc. fir days but a tuck of blades remains elusive at best.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So are we all going to put in stocking requests for DE razorblades at our local grocers here in the USA? I'm always amazed that the "real estate" in the shaving section doesn't have 2 or 3 de blade choices stocked. Not like they're going to spoil. Oh, that's right, someone's hand is in someone's pocket... that's why I can buy carts, foam, beard oil, etc. fir days but a tuck of blades remains elusive at best.
We Australians are lucky. Most major supermarket chains here stock one (only) brand of DE blades, like GWS. Only USD 10 for a tuck of 10. That makes them about the same price per edge as carts.

Top Bottom