What's new

Finally upgraded, and WOW!

I have been using a Whipped Dog poor mans strop since I started straight razor shaving. Around two weeks ago I got 2 Tony Miller strops, a Notovan and a Horween Horsehide (actually prefering the draw on the Horween). None of my blades are fresh off the hones, but it seems the edges polish better and shave better off the new strops. I’m not bashing the poor man’s strops, it got me this far at a low cost of admission. And I nicked the you know what out of 2 of them.
Question is do different leathers really make a noticeable difference? Seeing a significant difference after using the new strop, I can only assume there is but I could be wrong. I am only about a year into this.

I have been using a Whipped Dog poor mans strop since I started straight razor shaving. Around two weeks ago I got 2 Tony Miller strops, a Notovan and a Horween Horsehide (actually prefering the draw on the Horween). None of my blades are fresh off the hones, but it seems the edges polish better and shave better off the new strops. I’m not bashing the poor man’s strops, it got me this far at a low cost of admission. And I nicked the you know what out of 2 of them.
Question is do different leathers really make a noticeable difference? Seeing a significant difference after using the new strop, I can only assume there is but I could be wrong. I am only about a year into this.

Most decent strops work about the same.
Some leathers do work a little faster but the biggest differences is in the feel of the strop under a blade. Some are very fast with little draw and some the complete opposite.

So I have and use a Tony Miller Steerdovan, Dubl Duck Special No 1 Cordovan, Kanayama 70000 Cordovan, and a Red Imp 700c. All of them are great strops and all have different feels to them. I dont think any of them are necessarily better than the other. There are certain razors I use on certain strops and to me they work better on certain strops but I think that might have more to do with the secondary strop than the leather.

I had a similar experience to yours.

I began with a poor mans strop from Larry for like $18 a few years back. Honestly, it worked for its job it was affordable and came with the little package of neatsfoot oil so it was worth the expense in my mind. I too cut that strop up, as all new people do. At the time, I couldn't justify getting into something fancier.

I've used a couple of other strops in between then and now, and have recently added my 1st TM strop.

I picked up a 3" horween no fabric option $35 pre shipping and have been very pleased. I think the larger surface area is probably reducing your time spend to produce a similar effect, but I am unsure which size poor mans strop you had. I know the size of my poor mans strop was quite small compared to most of the strops that have replaced it.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the effectiveness of a strop is influenced by how the surface is cared for. I have found it is easy to take a strop that works quite well and over dress it with some sort of strop dressing and it changes its behavior entirely. So, there is a lot to be said for the things we do to the leather in between the time they're new and the time they're replaced.

I've had my Horween for about a month and it has been a solid work horse. At this price, I think this is the best value strop on the market right now. Would buy another TM.

I am curious, what is it that makes the horween more preferable for you?

I had a similar experience to yours.

I began with a poor mans strop from Larry for like $18 a few years back. Honestly, it worked for its job it was affordable and came with the little package of neatsfoot oil so it was worth the expense in my mind. I too cut that strop up, as all new people do. At the time, I couldn't justify getting into something fancier.

I've used a couple of other strops in between then and now, and have recently added my 1st TM strop.

I picked up a 3" horween no fabric option $35 pre shipping and have been very pleased. I think the larger surface area is probably reducing your time spend to produce a similar effect, but I am unsure which size poor mans strop you had. I know the size of my poor mans strop was quite small compared to most of the strops that have replaced it.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the effectiveness of a strop is influenced by how the surface is cared for. I have found it is easy to take a strop that works quite well and over dress it with some sort of strop dressing and it changes its behavior entirely. So, there is a lot to be said for the things we do to the leather in between the time they're new and the time they're replaced.

I've had my Horween for about a month and it has been a solid work horse. At this price, I think this is the best value strop on the market right now. Would buy another TM.

I am curious, what is it that makes the horween more preferable for you?

My poor mans strop is 3”, same as both the Tony Miller strops. The Horween is not as “zippy” as the Notovan I guess is the best way to put it. Could be due to the way I strop.

I have a variety of strops: Latigo, kangaroo hide, Horween horsehide, Tony Miller fast bridle leather, Tony Miller Novotan horsehide, and a shell cordovan strop make with leather from Joseph Clayton in Chesterfield, England and fabricated by Griffith Shaving Goods. All of the strops feel different in use, but all of the strops will maintain the edge of a straight razor. It is simply a matter of preference. I often use multiple strops starting with the Latigo strop which has a slow draw, the going to the kangaroo or shell strop, and finishing on one of fast strops bridle or horsehide.

Top Bottom