What's new

Finally tried Tallow Shave Sticks

I have used QED and Mama Bear shave sticks on travel for a couple of years and occasionally at home. I enjoy the art of whipping up lather in my shave mug too much to make the swtich to shave sticks all the time.

I decided to try as many tallow-based shave sticks as I can track down after reading some of the recent shave stick threads here. I tried Spieck last week and Palmolive today. Both are fantastic! :biggrin: they produce thick, rich, slick lather that lasts for my normal shave routine (2 passes + touch up + bald head). My short loft or dense brushes work best with shave sticks. They miss on scent compared to my normal soaps.

I don't have Arko or any of the high end shave sticks yet. I already have at least a 10 year supply of soap :eek:; now I am thinking about putting in a 10 year supply of shave sticks... :biggrin:

And, I have decided to declare at least one day a week Shave Stick Day!

Try Valobra, La Toja and/or Wilkinson's Sword while you're at it. DR Harris makes nice tallowy soaps in stick form too.

Try Valobra, La Toja and/or Wilkinson's Sword while you're at it...

All three are waiting their turns...

Just ordered Akro stick. That should make the low end complete. Have to get up the courage to spring for Taylor, Harris, etc...

Count me in the group that loves the Arko scent! Some have said that it smells like urinal cake, but I think they visit some ultra classy bathrooms. I've entered a few that I wish smelled like Arko!:lol: As far as performance, I'll put the Arko against any top of the line soaps any day.

I've become a recent convert to shave sticks. I have tried Palmolive, La Toja and Erasmic. I really like face lathering and the shave I'm getting from shave sticks. I used a Harris lavender shave stick this morning. It produced a great lather and great shave! I have a Valobra stick waiting for its trial run soon.

Another thumbs up for Arko shave stick. One of my favorites. Got a Palmolive stick on the way from JKH. Looking forward to using it.

Count me in the group that loves the Arko scent! Some have said that it smells like urinal cake, but I think they visit some ultra classy bathrooms. I've entered a few that I wish smelled like Arko!:lol: As far as performance, I'll put the Arko against any top of the line soaps any day.

+100%(and a bit more..)

+1 great soap, lather, scent, and price!

Yes, sir!

Another thumbs up for Arko shave stick. One of my favorites. Got a Palmolive stick on the way from JKH. Looking forward to using it.

Palmolive is a great soap too but if I had to choose one it would be Arko.

BTW when you like the tallow based Speick you should stock up; I've heard alarming stories about a new formula....:frown:

I'll add my vote for the Wilkinsons Shave Stick - excellent little stick: it contains tallow, glycerin and lanolin.

That Valobra stick is king of the court as far as sticks are concerned!

I couldn't agree more, and put the La Toja a close second. Both are very moisturizing and have a great neutral clean scent that pairs with just about any aftershave I can throw at it.

Great, now I need a stick of Valobra...

My favourite tallow stics (no order):

Irish Moos
Tabac
Speick
Palmolive

I have tried the following and they're good, but not as good as the ones above:

Arko - not as nice to my skin and smells like a urinal puck
Boots - decent, good container, but a little sweet

I haven't bought the Harris or TOBS - I think these sticks are too expensive for what you get.

Top Bottom