What's new

Finally tried Arko

I would still rate VDH as a "better" performer for me, personally. I have been using it for years, however. After some time and experience learning the arko…...only time will tell if I change my mind.
That was just your first go, right? It takes a little time to learn the right ratio with Arko, but it's ready to reward you. I, too, press Arko into a container, and as you use it more, it softens up. And the scent does dissipate after a while.

Brush loaded from bowl-pressed Arko + an almond sized dollop of Cremo (red capped tube) = a super slick, creamy lather. It's my every Monday lather of choice, and sometimes other days as well.

That was just your first go, right? It takes a little time to learn the right ratio with Arko, but it's ready to reward you. I, too, press Arko into a container, and as you use it more, it softens up. And the scent does dissipate after a while.

Yep. And for a first go, it was not disappointing. If I use it at home, I had figured to press it into the bottom of a mug as I feel like that is how it should be. Glad to hear about the scent easing up a bit. Thanks

Here is a link to the tubes on Amazon. WCS has them as well. Remember the 2 oz. size.

I had looked at those for the arko stick as it just seems it needs more secure packaging for travel. Thanks So the VDH is soft enough to shave and press and it stick back together?

Yep. And for a first go, it was not disappointing. If I use it at home, I had figured to press it into the bottom of a mug as I feel like that is how it should be. Glad to hear about the scent easing up a bit. Thanks

I had looked at those for the arko stick as it just seems it needs more secure packaging for travel. Thanks So the VDH is soft enough to shave and press and it stick back together?

It will work just fine that way. The Arko is soft enough to just press the whole stick down on the center screw with no problem.

Bowl-pressed Arko (3 sticks worth) + an almond sized dollop of Cremo (red capped tube) = a super slick, creamy lather. It's my every Monday lather of choice, and sometimes other days as well.
I use a bit of red cap cremo as "preshave". Started that because I wanted to try cremo and it did not make the cut for me as a stand alone product. BUt I decided to use it as a pre shave and I think it adds a certain something to the soap when you lather over it.

You don't say!!! I believe it's still available at Italian Barber (after things settle in Italy a bit) and Maggard's (though they list it as it of stock). Are you saying it's no longer being made?
The Valobra company was bought by the Ludovico Martelli company (makers of Proraso) some time back in late 2018.

I emailed Connaught and they said they were sold out and had no plans to order more. They said prices had gone way up and they weren't going to carry it any more. Since then, they have begun selling Saponificio Varesino and several other higher end lines and artisans.

As best as I can tell, what is being sold in stores now is old stock. It's anybody's guess when Valobra products will be made again.

Arko comes down to us from Mt Olympus, it was created by Zeus and Prometheus. Or so I was told.
Prometheus was the trickster, so perhaps it was his idea to make a terrific soap smell like a urinal! HAHA
Was said in fun only. I do not see the urinal cake correlation nor do I find the scent off-putting period.

What is the world coming to? Valobra...gone. Palmolive...gone.

Well, at least you can still buy Palmolive sticks from Amazon and Ebay, though the price is a lot higher. This is a very economical soap in Germany.

Yes, agreed. Too bad! I was lucky to get one of the last sticks of Valobra from Connaught, that's a very nice one I'm using once in a blue moon to enjoy it while it lasts.

proxy.php

best as I can tell, what is being sold in stores now is old stock. It's anybody's guess when Valobra products will be made again.
Sad, sad news.

I have one open stick (used when I travel) and one backup, so I'm not running out soon. But it's sad to hear it's gone. Thank goodness I also love Arko sticks!

I've been using Arko as part of my fixed four set up this month. It does take a few tries to dial it in. For the price, you can't beat it. There are better smelling shaving soaps out there for sure but it is hard to complain about this one. I can see why it is a go-to soap. Enjoy it. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Arko is a great value for money soap. I usually grate mine into a Tupperware style container and make a puck. I use it weekly.

Tweak or 2 on the arko procedure last night. Only my 2nd use of it. Another good experience. If this had been the 1st soap I had found, I likely would not have tried another. (<- HA sounds good right) Since I did and got to like the VDH so much, I just cannot drop it. To a first timer I would probably recommend the arko. It may be because I know how to lather and then tried arko, but when I started with VDH I had never made a lather. That being said, I think I would recommend the arko to a beginner because I think a good lather is more easily/quickly achieved with the arko. It definitely has its pro's.

Top Bottom